Sponsored

Updated Pentastar Filters (Maintenance Thread)

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
If anyone is interested in the Fumoto Drain Valve you'd replace your 2018 Wrangler JL, OEM oil drain plug with the Fumoto F106 M14-1.5 Drain Valve

Pick a F106 with nipple or without nipple. When installing be sure to use just the provided fiber gasket and just that fiber gasket. Do not over tighten. Be sure to use a lever lock on the installed Fumoto Drain Valve.

Google search the Fumoto Valve before you buy / install. Read what other Wrangler owner's say about the Fumoto Valve.
I recommend the F106S, as it has a short nipple. (That almost sounds sexy)

Less likely to catch it on a rock and rip it off.

upload_2018-2-13_17-35-0.png
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@DanW...

- Be sure to apply a very light coating of motor oil on the new oil filter O-ring before placing the O-ring on the new oil filter

- 24mm socket for oil filter cover removal. Use socket/socket wrench with a small extension for easy removal
- 13mm socket for drain plug (careful don't cross thread or over tighten when putting plug back in)

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I recommend the F106S, as it has a short nipple. (That almost sounds sexy)

Less likely to catch it on a rock and rip it off.

upload_2018-2-13_17-35-0.png

I agree 100%. Short nipple and be sure to use some type of lever lock. Important: Only use the provided fiber washer when installing and nothing else! Care to not cross thread when installing and also not to over tighten.

Hint: Some guys/gals use a zip tie to lock lever. Use a decent size/quality zip tie. Yes, to remove the zip tie, you need a sniper.

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Here is what's going in on Saturday, February 24, (unless my wife drafts me for other work that day!)
qQ8pxXV.jpg

Check out the filter...synthetic filter media with nice, even pleats, backed by metal mesh. Can you find the seam? It is very difficult, even on close inspection.
gRSNKTc.jpg

I'm not judging any oil or filter anybody puts in their engine. Heck, the 3.6 would probably do just fine on Dollar General's cheapest oil and the cheapest filter out there. I'm just OCD about my engines and their oil/filters. It's part of the fun.
thanks for the pics and #'s. i think i want to go this way too. others have pointed out that m1 isn't chrsler certified which is true. what are your thoughts on that? p.s. could you let us know what size metric sockets for the drain plug and filter when you change?

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
@DanW...

- Be sure to apply a very light coating of motor oil on the new oil filter O-ring before placing the O-ring on the new oil filter

- 24mm socket for oil filter cover removal. Use socket/socket wrench with a small extension for easy removal
- 13mm socket for drain plug (careful don't cross thread or over tighten when putting plug back in)
thanks for the sizes. i'll need to grab those. thanks for the tip too. any tips on 5 tire rotation? or other oil change/filter tips? this is all new to me but i'm looking forward to giving it a try

Reactions: Rob

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the pics and #'s. i think i want to go this way too. others have pointed out that m1 isn't chrsler certified which is true. what are your thoughts on that? p.s. could you let us know what size metric sockets for the drain plug and filter when you change?
I'm not worried at all about that certification. I am highly confident that any Mobil 1 product will exceed the MS-6395 standard, by a healthy margin. Exxon Mobil's Mobil Super Syn 0w20 has the MS-6395 approval, and it is a lower tier product than the Mobil 1 brands. I'll run any Mobil 1 in this engine with confidence. Its performance will be major-league overkill for the needs or requirements of this engine, even in the toughest conditions. Besides, many Chrysler/Jeep dealerships will use Mobil 1 for their premium oil changes.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm not worried at all about that certification. I am highly confident that any Mobil 1 product will exceed the MS-6395 standard, by a healthy margin. Exxon Mobil's Mobil Super Syn 0w20 has the MS-6395 approval, and it is a lower tier product than the Mobil 1 brands. I'll run any Mobil 1 in this engine with confidence. Its performance will be major-league overkill for the needs or requirements of this engine, even in the toughest conditions. Besides, many Chrysler/Jeep dealerships will use Mobil 1 for their premium oil changes.
Dan I don't know if this is related or not but my milage has gotten better since oil change. I drive highwy every day, 33 miles each way, and I frequently check the cluster mpg. Pre oil change it would always be around 17.4 mpg on a long run. For the last
20180215_164711.jpg
2 days it's been 18.6, same roads, same speed......

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan I don't know if this is related or not but my milage has gotten better since oil change. I drive highwy every day, 33 miles each way, and I frequently check the cluster mpg. Pre oil change it would always be around 17.4 mpg on a long run. For the last
20180215_164711.jpg
2 days it's been 18.6, same roads, same speed......
Well, it may really like that oil, but more likely, the engine is breaking in. I've had engines continue to improve out to 15,000 miles, or so. That's a pretty hefty jump right there, though. When I change mine out, it will be interesting to see if it does the same thing, since I'll be running the same oil.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I think the MOPAR oil filter is MO-349.

I do know Walmart carries the correct real MOPAR filter for $10 and having already chanfed my oil and compared them it is dead on.

You can also find the Mopar filters on Amazon for $6.

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Hi all...sorry if this has been answered...but are the air filters the same from the jk to the JL?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just FYI... any new Wrangler JL purchase automatically enrolls you in the "Jeep Wave" program, which gives you many benefits. One of them is two free oil and filter changes at the dealership per year, which will be plenty for everybody except those who drive a TON of miles. Might as well let the dealership treat you! Then you are also logged into the system which will help you if any warranty issues arise in the future.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Just FYI... any new Wrangler JL purchase automatically enrolls you in the "Jeep Wave" program, which gives you many benefits. One of them is two free oil and filter changes at the dealership per year, which will be plenty for everybody except those who drive a TON of miles. Might as well let the dealership treat you! Then you are also logged into the system which will help you if any warranty issues arise in the future.
Not sure this extends to Canada?
Sponsored