Sponsored

Dealer Maintenance - What besides oil and filters?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
Hey jeepers. I tried searching in multiple spots for this so I'm sorry if this is known info.

I'm looking to start doing my own oil changes and other maintenance. I haven't done for 20+ years because I didn't need to but for whatever reason at 38 years old, I really enjoying working on this jeep much more than any previous jeep or truck. Plus the oil change on this looks like it couldn't be easier.

My question is, what other maintenance is the dealer doing doing your oil change that I need to look at or do? Air filter and cabin filter, obviously. already changed both just because. There aren't any grease fittings that I am aware of, other than the ones on the steering that I installed. I have already rotated my owner tires twice. I can check tires and brakes and stuff like that. I can check fluids. But is there anything that actually needs done at the regular intervals?

Also, some people talk about dealer flashes or updates when they're in for service. Many unplug their Tazer JL's in case the dealer has to "update"..... is that a real thing? is there a way to know if you need an update? Are updates required or is there something else they get into the system for? I found a link somewhere on here to the chrysler page that you can put your vin into. It says my uconnect 8.4 system on my vehicle is current. What about things like updated flash for electronic power steering or something? I've heard people mention that being a thing. Is that all part of the uconnect? or are their other system flashes that I can have the dealer check and do?

I'm about ready to roll 15K miles. I was debating going back to the dealer in a couple weeks for my last wave oil change. However, I just installed my Tazer last week and I ordered an oil catch can I want to install. I was debating if I even need to bother going back to the dealer at all for any reason. I bought the oil change stuff and will do it myself unless there is something I should get done or updated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
change the gear oil in the diffs and atf in the transfer case.

maybe clean the bore of the throttle body, I wipe the inside with clean towel with some CRC TB/Intake cleaner.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely; the oil in the rear differential will be black and full of metal if it is anything like what others (including myself) have posted. I would up the viscosity to 75W-140 while you are at it.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Definitely; the oil in the rear differential will be black and full of metal if it is anything like what others (including myself) have posted. I would up the viscosity to 75W-140 while you are at it.
about to do this myself here soon!

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned

maybe clean the bore of the throttle body, I wipe the inside with clean towel with some CRC TB/Intake cleaner.
I have diff fluid on my to-do list. I was going to do a month ago or so and upgrade my diff covers. But I'm hoping to re-gear soon and didn't want to waste good diff fluid. I watched several videos and the diff fluid looks super easy. I bought the drain pan for that and then realized the oil change was as easy. Good call on cleaning out the throttle body.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has 7,000 miles so I've changed oil, filter, air filters, coolant, brake fluid, steering fluid, brakes, diff fluids, washer fluid, spark plugs, injectors, batteries, hoses. Sent in an exhaust gas sample and they suggested I replace the catalytic converter so did that. Tires are looking a little worn so they are next. You know, the normal maintenance stuff on a new one year old vehicle.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
What power steering fluid did you use and how did you change it, suction out of the reservoir ??

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know - I gave my grandson $50 to do it and he said he did it.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
on my prior maintenance records from the dealer, they noted "electrical system" in the services performed. Does anyone know what that means or entails? Thanks?

upload_2020-5-4_10-21-1.png

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Changed my differential gear oil today, 11k miles, rear was jet black but front wasn’t bad at all, no metal on the drain plug magnets but a tiny bit of of grey sludge was there. Overall very easy to do, used Royal Purple 75w-140 in the rear and then finished the bottle in the front before topping off with 75w-90. After adding the friction modifier in the rear I used less than 3 1qt bottles total.

DDCBF600-33BB-4A20-8B90-8D1B927CE612.jpeg

2126404E-1977-4E09-A5CD-715A2830F99E.jpeg

0D47FD27-4849-48C3-828B-E50B807F7E36.jpeg

7AFB4ECE-EDC8-4981-BF97-60F83E5A92F9.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: