Sponsored

Updated Pentastar Filters (Maintenance Thread)

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
So, the Mopar MO-349 is the ticket.
I know that my 2014 Wrangler JK uses Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number, 68191349AA - (MO-349) that is also listed with a newer number 68191349AB - (MD-349). I buy the filter at amazon.com for $6.39 which includes non-Prime shipping to me.

I believe the 2018 uses same oil filter..

Reactions: Rob

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I would NOT use Fram. I have seen a few where the filter actually breaks down and little pieces of filter, some type of paper/cardbaord actualy come out with the used oil. Spend the extra few bucks and get a Bosch. The only upside to Fram is the nice grippy material on the end.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would NOT use Fram. I have seen a few where the filter actually breaks down and little pieces of filter, some type of paper/cardbaord actualy come out with the used oil. Spend the extra few bucks and get a Bosch. The only upside to Fram is the nice grippy material on the end.
They've improved significantly since those days. Fram's Ultra Guard has metal end caps in their spin on filters, strong synthetic media rated for 20k miles, and all media, including their Pentastar cartridge filters, have metal screening supporting the filter media. The media won't tear, fray, compress,or distort. I've gone 12k on one in my Ecoboost. It looked great when I cut it open. The anti drainback valve was in perfect shape, too, holding oil back when I removed it.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Does anyone make a premium synthetic filter in this size? I've been looking around online and I only found the regular lines in this size.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
They've improved significantly since those days. Fram's Ultra Guard has metal end caps in their spin on filters, strong synthetic media rated for 20k miles, and all media, including their Pentastar cartridge filters, have metal screening supporting the filter media. The media won't tear, fray, compress,or distort. I've gone 12k on one in my Ecoboost. It looked great when I cut it open. The anti drainback valve was in perfect shape, too, holding oil back when I removed it.
Well, I do not get into debates regarding oil or oil filters but will say I would never consider using a Fram oil filter of any type. Years ago yes, but today, absolutely not. The Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number, 68191349AA - (MO-349) that is also listed with a newer number 68191349AB - (MD-349) is just fine for the JL. Can be had for $6.39 at amazon.com.

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have bought my JK's Mopar filters from Amazon for years.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone make a premium synthetic filter in this size? I've been looking around online and I only found the regular lines in this size.
Yes, the Fram Ultra Guard. I'm holding one in my hand right now.

Btw, I inspected the Mopar filter, and it just isn't put together as well as the basic, $7 Fram. The basic Fram's pleats are all even and more rigid. The seam where the pleats are joined is more sloppy in the way it is glued, too. The Fram is very evenly and tightly glued. I can't say much about the efficiency, other than Fram publishes theirs at 95% @ 20 microns in a single pass. The Ultraguard is 99% efficient at 20 microns. Mopar doesn't publish theirs, or at least I haven't found it. I'm sure the Mopar is just fine, but the Fram looks put together better. Set them side by side and see. The great thing is that you can easily inspect a cartridge filter after use.

When I change my oil the first time, in about a week and a half, I'll post pictures of the OEM filter. It should have about 2500 miles on it at that point.

I purchased Mobil 1 EP 0w20 for the first change. I'll run it on a short enough interval that I didn't want to spend the extra 5 bucks on the Mobil 1 AP this time around. I'll do that next time.

Back in 2006 to 2009, I used cartridge filters in my Pontiac Solstice. It is old info, so it should not be taken as indicative of today's filters, but it is still interesting.

Wal Mart Supertech was the best, looking good after a 7,000 mile oil change. I may have run it as far as 10,000 miles, but I can't remember. It had no tears, no distortion, no fraying, and the pleats had no contortion.

Fram also ran well. I ran 5000 miles on one, I believe. It looked good, too. No issues.

I ran a Wix for a 5,000 mile run and it looked good, but had some contortion to the pleats. Still, it looked fine.

Finally, Purolator. At 5,000 miles, the filter media was fraying and the glued seam looked like it was coming apart. Another I ran was changed at 3k, and looked fine. There was also contortion, or a twisting, in the pleats.

Those are all I ran. I believe I ran two of the Supertechs, and they both looked great. They had the most miles on them.

This is all just anecdotal, but I did give them a very close inspection after each run. Wal Mart Supertechs were a Champion Labs product, at the time, and were called the Ecore. They were controversial with spin-on filters, but I never had an issue with one. I don't know who makes their filters now, but they are all on clearance for 2 bucks. They had the filter for the older Pentastars, and it looked well made.

Purolator makes Ford Motorcraft filters. Mostly, I've had good luck with them, but I did cut one open that had a bad tear in it. That's when I switched to Fram Ultra Guards on my Ecoboost. I ran a Motorcraft FL400s on my JK for years, until that happened. I've also run Ultra Guard XG3600's since then. It is taller than the normal filter for the 3.8, but fits fine. It gives a little extra oil capacity.

I've done a number of used oil analyses over the years and never had anything show up in them that appeared to be filter media. I also never had one that indicated the oil filter was not filtering well, with any brand.

Every Ultra Guard I've seen cut open has looked great, with no tears or issues with the pleats.

This is all just my own experience and observations. They certainly are not scientific and in no way measure the performance of any brand of filter beyond its looks, other than the UOA's, which all came back just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what's going in on Saturday, February 24, (unless my wife drafts me for other work that day!)
qQ8pxXV.jpg

Check out the filter...synthetic filter media with nice, even pleats, backed by metal mesh. Can you find the seam? It is very difficult, even on close inspection.
gRSNKTc.jpg

I'm not judging any oil or filter anybody puts in their engine. Heck, the 3.6 would probably do just fine on Dollar General's cheapest oil and the cheapest filter out there. I'm just OCD about my engines and their oil/filters. It's part of the fun.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You've already put 2500 miles on your JL?! :surprised:
No, just over 1,000. I'll be putting another 1200 to 1500 miles on it by Monday evening, though. I'm driving about 6.5 hours up to northern Michigan for a snowmobiling trip. By the time the 24th rolls around, I should be right about 2500, give or take a hundred or two.

I'll take a sample from the original oil fill and will send it to Blackstone labs for an analysis. How long I'll run this Mobil 1 EP depends on what the analysis shows. If better than expected, I might go 5,000 miles on the new oil, or maybe more. I'm curious how long the oil life monitor will go for an OCI.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
If anyone is interested in the Fumoto Drain Valve you'd replace your 2018 Wrangler JL, OEM oil drain plug with the Fumoto F106 M14-1.5 Drain Valve

Read about install of the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve on you JL here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...in-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/#post-86943

Pick a F106 with nipple or without nipple. When installing be sure to use just the provided fiber gasket and just that fiber gasket. Do not over tighten. Be sure to use a lever lock on the installed Fumoto Drain Valve.

Google search the Fumoto Valve before you buy / install. Read what other Wrangler owner's say about the Fumoto Valve.
Sponsored

Last edited: