Was my engine overfilled? (Pics)

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I got my first oil change recently at the dealer and the guy writing the paperwork noted in the paper that the Jeeps takes 5quarts but after the oil change I saw the invoice and the quantity for the oils was 6 and I went up to him and asked him why it’s six when it should be five and he said something about the lines needing to be filled too? That sounded a little odd to me but I didn’t continue it and I left.

Today I was about to leave for a leisurely little road trip and randomly decided to check the level. I had initiated remote start so the engine was warmed up. I checked the oil about one minute after I shut off the engine.

Is my engine severely overfilled or did I check it incorrectly??
I removed the dipstick and fully cleaned it about five times and rechecked and got the same results shown in the photos.

Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 2FDE6FAD-1AA8-4DF0-B223-8381D42E658E
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) EEB3ACDC-EA48-4A46-AC57-D0248EA5C7D0
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Well, you’ve been on this forum long enough and knew they are going to overfill it. So shouldn’t be surprised.

Drain a quart every time while back from a Jeep wave oil change like it’s clockwork.

Shouldn’t be any damage done if drained afterwards.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Drain a quart every time while back from a Jeep wave oil change like it’s clockwork
Eff that. Drive to dealer and wait while they do the job incorrectly to save $25, then come home and fix it? Just do the whole job right yourself. It’s very, very easy (and cheap).

I didn’t use any of my “free” oil changes. The inconvenience of going to the dealer and sitting around was enough to deter me, never mind that they are adding an extra quart and only rotating 4/5 of the tires.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Okay I’m definitely overfilled then. Next question, what if any damage could have been done driving with six quarts for 2 months/2,000miles?

Also, more proof of how they lie flat to your face. When I showed him this paper and asked him why it’s 6, he told me because it had to fill the lines. What lines?
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) FA2C87CB-D4E3-40D8-8978-F69EFD3A7B17

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Eff that. Drive to dealer and wait while they do the job incorrectly to save $25, then come home and fix it? Just do the whole job right yourself. It’s very, very easy (and cheap).

I didn’t use any of my “free” oil changes. The inconvenience of going to the dealer and sitting around was enough to deter me, never mind that they are adding an extra quart and only rotating 4/5 of the tires.
I’d love to do them myself, but won’t they f*** me in the future if there are no dealership maintenance records and something goes wrong?

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Well, you’ve been on this forum long enough and knew they are going to overfill it. So shouldn’t be surprised. :LOL:

Drain a quart every time while back from a Jeep wave oil change like it’s clockwork.
You’re so right I should’ve known better. I live in LA and I went to the very popular dealer in Glendale which gets dozens of wrangler JLs every single day. The hour I was there I saw at least a dozen wranglers come in for an oil change as well.
Seeing how many wranglers they maintain every single day, I lied to myself and said they will know it takes 5 quarts after 4 years of doing this every day.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.

however if you have any warranty issues with the engine, if you don't have a receipts of oil changes, they will not honor the warranty. for me, its worth paying someone to get it done. I just do not take it to the dealership.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d love to do them myself, but won’t they f*** me in the future if there are no dealership maintenance records and something goes wrong?
No. If you’re worried just keep your receipts. You can even log the maintenance using the Jeep phone app. But, no, they can’t make you have routine maintenance performed by them.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
however if you have any warranty issues with the engine, if you don't have a receipts of oil changes, they will not honor the warranty. for me, its worth paying someone to get it done. I just do not take it to the dealership.
BS

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don’t know about the future but I am definitely ordering a filter and a jug of oil and replacing the current oil myself when they arrive.
I’m also very curious to see just how much oil is in my engine right now after I drain it all.
Forum members say the penzoil one is the best one to get?
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 92BF952B-3AF5-421B-AA89-13A737DB1E89

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know about the future but I am definitely ordering a filter and a jug of oil and replacing the current oil myself when they arrive.
I’m also very curious to see just how much oil is in my engine right now after I drain it all.
Forum members say the penzoil one is the best one to get?
Jeep Wrangler JL Was my engine overfilled? (Pics) 92BF952B-3AF5-421B-AA89-13A737DB1E89
All 0-W20 is fully synthetic, and you can’t go wrong with any of them unless you’re trying to go 15,000 between changes. Change it every 5k miles and buy what’s on sale at Walmart. I would not order. You will overpay. Wally World is the ticket, even though I loath stepping foot in there.

If you really want to make your life easy, buy a Fumoto drain valve. Well worth it. You can drain right into an empty 5qt jug for easy drop off at the dump or auto store.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
how do you otherwise prove you had regular oil changes? do you keep a receipt log? when my JK 3.8 blew at 50k, it was a nightmare to try to get them to cover it. they also want it to be done by a competent facility.

correct, it doesn't have to be by the dealership

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
All 0-W20 is fully synthetic, and you can’t go wrong with any of them unless you’re trying to go 15,000 between changes. Change it every 5k miles and buy what’s on sale at Walmart. I would not order. You will overpay. Wally World is the ticket, even though I loath stepping foot in there.

If you really want to make your life easy, buy a Fumoto drain valve. Well worth it. You can drain right into an empty 5qt jug for easy drop off at the dump or auto store.
Awesome thanks! I saw Walmart also carries the required mopar filter but would they actually stock that in their stores? I assumed it was order only even from Walmart.