Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
https://arbusa.com/products/roof-racks/arb-base-rack/

Looks promising. The promotional video shows one mounted on a JLU so it looks like the vehicle-specific mounting for the JL platform will be among the initial release. I'll be following this release pretty closely; it looks like a strong competitor to the Rhino Rack with some added versatility (I particularly like the roller attachment and the modular mounting system).

To my knowledge, ARB hasn't made the same mistake as Rhino Rack and moved their manufacturing to China (though it seems they have some manufacturing of smaller items in Thailand). It isn't quite Made in the USA or Canada, but having lived in Australia for almost a year, I'm more willing to support Australian manufacturing than Chinese.

I wonder if the Maximus-3 mounting system could be adapted to the ARB BASE rack. That seemingly would make about the strongest yet lowest profile flat rack I've seen thus far.

I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts on this new rack system.
Sponsored

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
Looks like it clamps onto the gutters? Any idea of the price and release date?

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
This is perfect timing for me and looks to be exactly what I’m looking for.

OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Looks like it clamps onto the gutters? Any idea of the price and release date?
I think they have gutter mounts for some vehicles, but for the JLU it looks like there is a drill-through roof hard mount. This is just based on a screen shot I pulled from the promotional video; no rain gutter clamps in sight.

As for price and release date, I think one of the articles from the offroad mags I read mentioned late summer 2020 release date in the US and pricing was supposed to be in the "middle low range" of competitors, which I'm guessing are Rhino Rack and Gobi and such. So, I'm guessing somewhere between $1300-1500 as a ballpark.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 1.34.30 PM.png

OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
One other thing to note that is of interest to me is the fact that the rack comes in several different sizes. It looks like the 60x50 model is the one that will be said to "fit" the JLU and looks to be the size on that picture (6 horizontal slats) but it's interesting to note they will also have a 72x50 (7 slats) and an 84x50 (8 slats) which should just about fully cover the freedom panels. I wonder if we could wind up with the drill-through hard mounting for the rear section along with a cross-bar mount for the freedom panels that would allow us to run the full 84x50 rack and have 100% of roof coverage as useable load space. That would make it so a good sized RTT would only occupy ~60% of your useable rack space, which leaves plenty more room for really loading the Jeep down for extended trips to the nowheres.

Another benefit to the full coverage rack is that, along with the roller setup on the rear, it could make the flat panel of the rack useful for hauling lumber and such. Pretty handy for folks who's Jeep is a daily driver and don't have a pickup truck in the family.

Seems like there are some possibilities with this new system. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Sponsored

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Be nice if they made adapters or legs so it would work with the Sky One Touch roof.

Jayphil

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Do you have information on how it is mounted onto the JL? I understand it is drilled/screwed I to the hard to, but at what points?

OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Do you have information on how it is mounted onto the JL? I understand it is drilled/screwed I to the hard to, but at what points?
I just got an email back from ARB asking some of these same questions. Here's what I was told:

- The JL mount will be vehicle-specific but hasn't been released yet despite the racks themselves showing up as in stock on Quadratec and other websites. I was assured it would be available in the near future though.
- The JL mount will be strictly drill through to the mid cross bar and the rear roll bars (similar to the Maximus-3 design) with no rain gutter options.
- The 61" length will be the only size supported for use on the JL platform; since there isn't a rain gutter mounting option, there isn't any way to secure a longer platform over the freedom panels.
- This rack and most of its components are manufactured in ARB's factory in Thailand, so they are not a domestic Australian product.

I really wanted to love this rack due to its modularity and the idea of supporting Australian manufacturing but it just doesn't fit my needs. I'm looking for a drill-through design for HTT mounting, but I'd really prefer one with drill-through along with gutter mount redundancy to allow for a full length platform and being manufactured in Thailand is a non-starter for me.

Guess the JCR rack with the additional drill-through hardware is still at the top of my list.

Jayphil

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Thanks Bronco.

This video briefly shows where the rear weight bearing posts are installed. I'll have to hit up a local ARB store and get more info then.

If I find out, I'll post here.

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I just got an email back from ARB asking some of these same questions. Here's what I was told:

- The JL mount will be vehicle-specific but hasn't been released yet despite the racks themselves showing up as in stock on Quadratec and other websites. I was assured it would be available in the near future though.
- The JL mount will be strictly drill through to the mid cross bar and the rear roll bars (similar to the Maximus-3 design) with no rain gutter options.
- The 61" length will be the only size supported for use on the JL platform; since there isn't a rain gutter mounting option, there isn't any way to secure a longer platform over the freedom panels.
- This rack and most of its components are manufactured in ARB's factory in Thailand, so they are not a domestic Australian product.

I really wanted to love this rack due to its modularity and the idea of supporting Australian manufacturing but it just doesn't fit my needs. I'm looking for a drill-through design for HTT mounting, but I'd really prefer one with drill-through along with gutter mount redundancy to allow for a full length platform and being manufactured in Thailand is a non-starter for me.

Guess the JCR rack with the additional drill-through hardware is still at the top of my list.
Front runner outfitters is coming out with a 2dr model (4dr & JT is out) of their rack. I just don't like the front bars that come down along the windshield, and also it sits kind of high.

I cannot find one that suits my needs. I'm going to cut the sides off my 2dr hard top but want to then have a bolt through bracket design to stabilize the hard top

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Overland Unlimited.
The 72-inch rack also fits the JLU - though the one I am seeing in the UK looks a lot different to the pictures above:
ARB Roof Rack Kit, Steel, JLU (3813030KJL) | Jeepey - Jeep parts, spares and accessories

It's gone to the top of my list of racks ahead of the Rhino-Rack and the Front Runner (don't like the front supports on the Front runner as it blocks the snorkel I am interested in fitting at some point later in the year for a planned trip, or the height it sits as someone else above said - but the number of options for mounts is impressive).

OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
The 72-inch rack also fits the JLU - though the one I am seeing in the UK looks a lot different to the pictures above:
ARB Roof Rack Kit, Steel, JLU (3813030KJL) | Jeepey - Jeep parts, spares and accessories

It's gone to the top of my list of racks ahead of the Rhino-Rack and the Front Runner (don't like the front supports on the Front runner as it blocks the snorkel I am interested in fitting at some point later in the year for a planned trip, or the height it sits as someone else above said - but the number of options for mounts is impressive).
The rack in the link you posted is the original ARB platform that's been available for the JL essentially since it came out. The BASE rack system is a totally different product.

stg1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
You might be interested in this rack from Go Rhino. It looks like it comes in 3 sizes.

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You might be interested in this rack from Go Rhino. It looks like it comes in 3 sizes.

Looks like they offer a no drill option, unfortunately not much info/reviews out there on the rain gutter mount.
Sponsored