Sponsored

4xe Generator Charging

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango SRT, RAM TRX (order) Rubicon 4xE (order)
Anyone know if generator charging will be possible? Level 1 with the provided charging cord or even level 2 with a portable level two charger. Was pondering this when thinking about campsite charging possibilities. Also watched this which makes me think it might work:

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
why not. A decent 2 pole gene can run a welder....

does it even need a 40a breaker?

I will just put gas in my tank vs carrying 400 lbs.

OP
OP
Loops

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why not. A decent 2 pole gene can run a welder....

does it even need a 40a breaker?
The recommended level 2 requires 32a

OP
OP
Loops

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be more efficient to just pour the fuel directly into the tank than try to convert it to electricity with a portable generator.
Would like to take advantage of the electric motor power when heading to the trail/on the trail and once we are ready to pack up and tow again. Maybe should have led with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Loops

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would like to take advantage of the electric motor power when heading to the trail/on the trail and once we are ready to pack up and tow again. Maybe should have led with that.
Would like to advantage of the electric motor power when heading to the trail after we get to base camp or once we are ready to pack up and tow again. Maybe should have led with that.

Otherwise I could have saved $ and bought a dirsel
Or am I potentially not understanding how the hybrid system works? I guess I’m under the assumption you won’t have full power available unless you have a charge, is that incorrect?

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Or am I potentially not understanding how the hybrid system works? I guess I’m under the assumption you won’t have full power available unless you have a charge, is that incorrect?
You’ll have a drive mode that will use only the ICE and keep the battery topped off for use later. In your case, you could use only the ICE to get to your campsite and then you’ll have all of your battery capacity for use while there.

OP
OP
Loops

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I get it and why extra gas would be a better option: “E Selec’s third mode, “eSave,” relies mainly on the engine to keep the Wrangler 4xe moving and saves the battery charge for later use. More significant, however, is the “Battery Charge” choice on eSave mode’s menu. This feature allows an empty battery pack to become fully charged by the engine in about 2½ hours while traveling at about 55 mph.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...-coming-check-out-the-wrangler-4xe-2020-09-14

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Now I get it and why extra gas would be a better option: “E Selec’s third mode, “eSave,” relies mainly on the engine to keep the Wrangler 4xe moving and saves the battery charge for later use. More significant, however, is the “Battery Charge” choice on eSave mode’s menu. This feature allows an empty battery pack to become fully charged by the engine in about 2½ hours while traveling at about 55 mph.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...-coming-check-out-the-wrangler-4xe-2020-09-14
I did not know about the ability to charge the battery from the engine in 2.5 hours @55. Nice find, that is cool!

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Yes, most definitely. I had a portable generator that could output 40A 240V and could run my 32A level 2 charger no problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Loops

Loops

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not know about the ability to charge the battery from the engine in 2.5 hours @55. Nice find, that is cool!
I’ve been trying to hunt down something more official. The owners manual addendum refers you to the Uconnect section that is in the 2021 Wrangler owners manual but I’m not finding the Hybrid pages in either document. I’m also trying to find the screen shots I remember seeing in a video,FB, or forums, that shows the battery charge function via Uconnect eSave mode menu.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
The battery will never be allowed to fully discharge to the point that you won't have full power available for a brief acceleration. That was mentioned in the TFL interview of the "propulsion systems" VP.

One question I have is if we get any significant recharging while idling? If I properly understand this system, only the BSG would produce power while idling since the larger motor in the transmission is not turning. Then, does the BSG send power back to the DC/DC to charge the traction battery, or does it only charge the 12V battery? I suspect the latter, ie. no charging while idling; it must be moving.

The primary battery has a temperature range beyond which it will not allow the Jeep to start (below -22F or above +122F -see pg 76 of the supplement). That situation is where an external generator would be useful for powering the traction battery's heating/cooling system. I'd like to know how many kW of power is needed to bring the battery back into operating range after a long heat or cold soak.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
As some who is an irrefutable expert in the green energy and electric car charging space, I can say with absolute certainly that in no way would it make sense to haul a generator out just to charge the electric battery.

It also won’t make any sense to haul a bunch of panels before anyone suggests it.
carry extra fuel

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
As some who is an irrefutable expert in the green energy and electric car charging space, I can say with absolute certainly that in no way would it make sense to haul a generator out just to charge the electric battery.

It also won’t make any sense to haul a bunch of panels before anyone suggests it.
carry extra fuel

But if you use a hybrid electric generator.....

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Generator Charging 7A6A0A3A-6528-4B57-8356-F05FEA88F12F

All joking aside, you could actually bring a lithium battery pack generator with you. It would be enough to give you several miles at a time and you can recharge it at any basic power outlet.
Sponsored

Last edited: