DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Get the little plastic plugs off Ebay. They work well. Problem solved.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
do you have a link?
Thanks
Yep! Here is Ebay, XXXXXX

Here is Amazon: XXXXX Edit--These were the wrong size. I'll post back when I get the correct size.

Install them carefully. I had one pop out the other day, but they've stayed well overall and I've had them awhile. I've had them in with the windshield folded, too, and the wind didn't bother them.

They can be modded a bit, I'm sure, if they are too loose for your satisfaction.

Also, I had to play a bit with placement to fine tune the air flow.

Last edited:

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just bumping this from an old post....Seems like a clever idea and looks easy to put in for winter or even on the fly if needed and just take out when not needed without worrying about pushing plugs through holes, losing zip ties or whatever. And I kind a like the industrial type look also.

Found these on Amazon that seem to have a pretty low profile and look like they would work.

Amazon

Don't even have my Rubicon yet lol as it's on order but think I may get a couple of these to just be safe and keep 'em handy with my snow brush :)

Here’s the pictures. I am going to get some black tape to smooth out the tops, eventually, I kind of like the industrial look.

E627EF27-7CBB-4E41-8688-6A415010384C.jpeg

BB303235-8D2E-49C2-AA3E-483E68D936F4.jpeg

9DEDA818-471D-4EC4-BB39-C679DA2A5670.jpeg

7896710E-D005-4702-B428-6622D5158840.jpeg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
I 3d printed these. Currently, I printed 2 strips long enough to cover 10 vent holes each. I can go larger on my printer;s bed by a few more holes at least, but the holes seem to taper a bit as they go out past where I have the strips currently. Time will tell if the design works or needs to be tweaked. Also, I printed this with PLA which is not known for high temperature resistance so I also need to monitor if they are affected by the defroster on high heat settings and how they hold up in summer temperatures. The latter wont be able to be tested until next summer but, worst case I can just take them out in the summer. If it can't stand up to the hot defroster temperature, I may be forced to learn how to print ABS which is much more temperature resistant.
i've been using the ebay plugs, worked pretty well last winter, but always looking for something better.

please let us know how yours turn out and if you want to make some money selling them, or at least the sizes of holes you used.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
i've been using the ebay plugs, worked pretty well last winter, but always looking for something better.

please let us know how yours turn out and if you want to make some money selling them, or at least the sizes of holes you used.
It is looking like I am gonna have to figure out how to print in ABS as the PLA version I printed warped. Once I get it sorted, I'll give an update.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I wish someone would use a handheld blue light or white light 3D scanner and get the details for the internals below the defrost grill. Then take that envelope and design a vane system to direct air more evenly across all the vents. If I had access to a scanner I would do it myself as the modeling of the vane system would be relatively easy and I could use thermal Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to ensure good airflow across the vent. Based on the length of the vent I believe a three piece 3D printing will be required.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wish someone would use a handheld blue light or white light 3D scanner and get the details for the internals below the defrost grill. Then take that envelope and design a vane system to direct air more evenly across all the vents. If I had access to a scanner I would do it myself as the modeling of the vane system would be relatively easy and I could use thermal Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to ensure good airflow across the vent. Based on the length of the vent I believe a three piece 3D printing will be required.
Whats one these scanners cost? Do we crowdfund one for you?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Whats one these scanners cost? Do we crowdfund one for you?
I am looking to see if I can either rent an Artec Space Spider locally. If I can get the defroster ventilation duct scanned and scan the defroster grid I can design a model with vanes to direct air to the outer openings to provide more coverage to the windshield. I plan to pull the defroster grid and drop the windshield so I have good access to use the scanner. I will keep you all updated. I hav a friend with a 3D printer so I could make some prototypes, but really want to use CFD to optimize air flow.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Absolutely incredible that we still have to deal with this. I have never had this problem with any vehicle I have owned - including my last 2013 JK. The kicker is this thing can blow hot air.
I tried the ebay plugs but they didn't really do much and when it got cold they kept popping out. I finally removed them.
Do we need to resort to this?
https://www.amazon.com/Eugeneq-Port...ocphy=9005751&hvtargid=pla-954810049670&psc=1

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep! Here is Ebay, Ebay

Here is Amazon: Amazon

Install them carefully. I had one pop out the other day, but they've stayed well overall and I've had them awhile. I've had them in with the windshield folded, too, and the wind didn't bother them.

They can be modded a bit, I'm sure, if they are too loose for your satisfaction.

Also, I had to play a bit with placement to fine tune the air flow.
The ones I posted are too big. Not sure why I didn't catch it, but 1" is too big. I'll try and get the right size posted up. Sorry!

I ordered some extras and some for my brothers Gladiator and they arrived today, so again, sorry for the error!

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
The ones I posted are too big. Not sure why I didn't catch it, but 1" is too big. I'll try and get the right size posted up. Sorry!

I ordered some extras and some for my brothers Gladiator and they arrived today, so again, sorry for the error!

Most people in this thread used the 5/8" plugs and they seemed to have good success with them.

I tried 5/8" plugs but they kept popping out, so I went up in size to the 3/4" plugs. The 3/4" plugs were a little too large, but you can check Post #421 in this thread for how I installed them and got them to stay put. My 3/4" plugs haven't moved a bit even with the defrost fan speed on 5.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most people in this thread used the 5/8" plugs and they seemed to have good success with them.

I tried 5/8" plugs but they kept popping out, so I went up in size to the 3/4" plugs. The 3/4" plugs were a little too large, but you can check Post #421 in this thread for how I installed them and got them to stay put. My 3/4" plugs haven't moved a bit even with the defrost fan speed on 5.
I'm pretty sure then that mine are the 5/8". They are indeed a little loose, but they've stayed put. I was thinking maybe a single layer of electrical tape wrapped around it might snug it up.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I'm pretty sure then that mine are the 5/8". They are indeed a little loose, but they've stayed put. I was thinking maybe a single layer of electrical tape wrapped around it might snug it up.
I tried the electrical tape on the 5/8" plugs but they still popped out as soon as I turned the defrost fan speed to 2.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the electrical tape on the 5/8" plugs but they still popped out as soon as I turned the defrost fan speed to 2.
Lol, maybe I got lucky with Chinese quality and mine were a little wider. I did have one come out, but I put it back and it stayed. IF they were only just a tiny bit bigger!

Here is the updated link:

Ebay
Sponsored