No 3.6 auto with out ETORQUE?

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Building a jeep on the website, and I can't seem to get 3.6 in auto with out ETORQUE. I'd rather save the 1500, and reliability.... Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Building a jeep on the website, and I can't seem to get 3.6 in auto with out ETORQUE. I'd rather save the 1500, and reliability.... Anyone else have this issue?
That is the case, correct.

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
If you go for the optional 3rd pedal you can get it without etorque

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Standard 3rd pedal but can't understand what you do with it.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Why the apprehension towards eTorque? I understand that on this forum there is a strong bias against it but what’s your personal experience with it @DayJ ?

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Standard 3rd pedal but can't understand what you do with it.
All my cars have the 3rd, have it just a preference for the jeep.

Why the apprehension towards eTorque? I understand that on this forum there is a strong bias against it but what’s your personal experience with it @DayJ ?
An additional thing to go wrong, to get water in... another thing that you can't fix your self, or without a computer...

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
An additional thing to go wrong, to get water in... another thing that you can't fix your self, or without a computer...
Nobody and I do mean nobody wants problems with their new vehicle. Your sentiments are shared by many on this forum along with myself... BUT... I do have to ask...

What benefit would FCA stand to gain by offering eTorque on this engine? If this feature is as bad a liability as it is made to seem, wouldn’t it make sense that the manufacturer wouldn’t offer it?

If it really is as bad as we make it seem, is FCA hedging bets against themselves and their product? I prefaced this response saying that nobody wants to have issues with the vehicle but during the first three year’s the vehicle will have a warranty in case SHTF.

And if eTorque is determined to be the root cause of the problem, they’ll issue a TSB and recall any and all models.

I say all of that to say, I doubt eTorque is as bad as we make it seem. There’s no denying that there will be problems but for those with problems there are solutions and a warranty to CYA.

Buy what you want.

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Nobody and I do mean nobody wants problems with their new vehicle. Your sentiments are shared by many on this forum along with myself... BUT... I do have to ask...

What benefit would FCA stand to gain by offering eTorque on this engine? If this feature is as bad a liability as it is made to seem, wouldn’t it make sense that the manufacturer wouldn’t offer it?

If it really is as bad as we make it seem, is FCA hedging bets against themselves and their product? I prefaced this response saying that nobody wants to have issues with the vehicle but during the first three year’s the vehicle will have a warranty in case SHTF.

And if eTorque is determined to be the root cause of the problem, they’ll issue a TSB and recall any and all models.

I say all of that to say, I doubt eTorque is as bad as we make it seem. There’s no denying that there will be problems but for those with problems there are solutions and a warranty to CYA.

Buy what you want.
I'm just hesitant because I get satisfaction of working on my own vehicles. And I know the 3.6 has proven its worth over and over in the FCA world. I also do not like how it is kinda being forced. My JL did great without ET (till it got totaled) with only the 3.6 and auto.(that 8 speed! MUAH!) Then know the combination works, but here, lets force some more money (3k upgrade) to allow people to have what they want. My reading is is new on the ET since I havent been keeping up with it. Any long term reviews that you have seen? How does it handle water, mud, and sand?

Deleted member 53226

Ok read through al these posts. I don't understand all the fretting over e-torque.

All etorque is, really, just a very small belt driven electric generator/motor in place of the alternator. The battery pack is cooled by lines running coolant. Just like the antifreeze and coolant lines for the engine. That is basically it. I am simplifying a bit because there are other electronic doo-dads and nay-bobs, but essentially instead of an alternator you get the little generator. It helps the wheels turn on initial startup and smooths out the auto stops/start and shifts. The coolant lines are tucked up under the chassis and/or protected by skid plates, as is the battery pack. The coolant lines will be as reliable a the other coolant lines in your jeep. It's going to be ok everyone.

Sponsored

Mchadpayne

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
After seeing the amount of cooling lines running to high voltage lithium battery by the rear driveline, I was out on the etorque.

Mchadpayne

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Ok read through al these posts. I don't understand all the fretting over e-torque.

All etorque is, really, just a very small belt driven electric generator/motor in place of the alternator. The battery pack is cooled by lines running coolant. Just like the antifreeze and coolant lines for the engine. That is basically it. I am simplifying a bit because there are other electronic doo-dads and nay-bobs, but essentially instead of an alternator you get the little generator. It helps the wheels turn on initial startup and smooths out the auto stops/start and shifts. The coolant lines are tucked up under the chassis and/or protected by skid plates, as is the battery pack. The coolant lines will be as reliable a the other coolant lines in your jeep. It's going to be ok everyone.
That small starter/generator weighs 90 lbs and cost over $2000. Imagine paying that every time your starter failed.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I understand the dilemma for those looking to order and hopefully this will soon change-personally not an eTorque fan. Super happy with my 2020 Rubi 2-door non-eTorque 3.6 auto...That said, if they offer a V8 in a 2-door, I will give serious thought to trading, however that's a decision that would have been way easier about $12K worth of mods ago...

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
ETorque has been in the RAM trucks for years and I haven't heard or personally seen any problems with them. Also, that battery is covered under warranty for 80k miles. I don't think there will be any reliability issue. And, they give you a little boost when it's time to get rolling. Am I a fan of the extra cooling lines? Not really. Do I lose sleep thinking them running under my jeep? Not really. I have the 2.0T with etorque and I like it.
Bonus, IF you leave auto start stop enabled it's MUCH less noticeable with etorque. Where I work in the RAM pickups we rarely bother to turn it off anymore.
Sponsored