Sponsored

More 2.0 ess vs 3.6 etorque questions

C5er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Currently have an 18 jlu rubi it’s 3.6 ess, 2” mopar lift and 35’s. The engine has been great, no complaints. Was looking at ordering a 2021 but with the 2.0 ess To save the 1800 and no etorque complexity. No 2.0s around to test, wondering if I will regret that decision To cheap out.

lokking those with experience on both configs.
Sponsored

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m about 16,000 miles and 18 months into my ‘19 JLUR with the non e-Torque/ESS 3.6 with the 8-speed automatic transmission — a configuration no longer offered by Jeep. Other than the steering box TSB I had performed last year at my dealer, it has been completely trouble-free since I drove it off the lot.

I’m still on the stock Rubicon suspension with the original 33” KO2s and use it as my DD. To be honest, other than the minor annoyance of having to manually turn off the ESS system every time I cycle the engine its been a real pleasure to own thus far. I’m averaging about 17 MPG on mostly local drives but I knew that going in so it doesn’t bother me all that much. I’m intrigued by the 3.0 EcoDiesel and test drove one a few weeks ago but the cost/benefit analysis I ran for my use-case wasn’t enough to get me out of my 3.6.

Once I own the note on my Jeep and once its out of the extended warranty period I have on it and once its no longer my DD I plan to regear it, add 37s and open the wallet for one major upgrade: an Edelbrock supercharger. This modification can currently ONLY be performed on an ‘18, ‘19, or ‘20 non-eTorque/ESS 3.6 Pentastar with the 8 speed. It gives simliar numbers and performance as a Hemi V8 at both a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the weight.

I’m holding on to my ESS 3.6/8A as long as I can both for its simplicity and for its potential down the road when it becomes more of a toy.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I thought I was for sure going with the V6, but after test driving both, the turbo just felt much quicker with more punch and then after asking a few people who work on Jeeps for thier opinion I went with the 2.0 and glad I did.