Lock Down

philowood

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have a 2020 Rubicon, we got into some water yesterday, and the whole jeep shut down and locked itself. It took us a little over two hrs to get her to start again. Once started, the electrical was a hot mess, the dome light flickered on and off the whole ride home, turn signals went out, cruise wouldn't work, couldn't get the lockers to lock, couldn't get into 4wd, couldn't get into neutral. left us totally stranded. I thought this is what jeeps were made for?? Does anyone have any input?? Thank you
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
no more then 24"
Do you have any photos by chance of the event? You should be good at 24" but things change if you bombed through it at high speed, went in at an extreme off camber angle or otherwise did something to fully soak the engine bay. The electrical components are easily ~45-50" above the ground so typically this is alright.

I'd take a look at the engine bay fusebox up in the passenger side corner and see if the insides look like they got wet to start with.

OP
OP

philowood

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Do you have any photos by chance of the event? You should be good at 24" but things change if you bombed through it at high speed, went in at an extreme off camber angle or otherwise did something to fully soak the engine bay. The electrical components are easily ~45-50" above the ground so typically this is alright.

I'd take a look at the engine bay fusebox up in the passenger side corner and see if the insides look like they got wet to start with.
all of that was dry thats the first thing we checked, we took our time driving through it, as not to make a big mess. I have photos, let me post

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Search on water fording for discussion on the issue.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Did the cabin take in any water on the passenger side? That certainly looks deeper than 24".

all of that was dry thats the first thing we checked, we took our time driving through it, as not to make a big mess. I have photos, let me post
The top of the fusebox might be dry, but it doesn't mean the bottom wasn't submerged in water. If the engine is running fine, but you're having computer issues and electrical problems, start with simple things as a process of elimination. Disconnect both the main and ESS battery, let the Jeep sit for 20 minutes while you reseat every single fuse and relay, then reconnect and see what happens. If that doesn't solve anything, it's time to go deeper.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Strange, I've driven through that deep down and across a river and back and not had any issues. Is it a V6 or the 2.0 turbo?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear you got stuck.

Do you have the 3.6 V6 or the 2.0T?

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Looks like a Rubicon Recon so 2.0T with eTorque

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Looks like a Rubicon Recon so 2.0T with eTorque

Which would mean that 48v aux battery is almost certainly in the drink in this photo? Maybe that module took on some water and shouldn't have - but I would assume they're supposed to be watertight if it mounts low on the chassis

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Looking at that picture it is leaning to the passenger side, I bet it’s way deeper on the right side. Look at the angle of the bottom of the drivers door to the water. Hope it dries out ok.

Gregj

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This was one of my hesitations about buying a Jeep Wrangler with an Alfa Romeo motor...

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I went through water almost up to the hood, about 2 inches below to hood, a while back. I took it at the proper speed, and didn't flood out. It was at 42-43 inches, and I drove approx 1/4 mile like this. Being that I have a Sport S with Rubi suspension and wheels/tires, it sits the same as @philowood 's jeep. So, I can only conclude something went wrong during the drive through the water, or there is a short in the system, caused by the water.
Sponsored