Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
Clubs

Is the softop supposed to "lock down" when it's folded all the way down? I have the cams in the locked position yet I can still lift the softop up several inches. It kind of bounces around when I drive.

Thanks.
Mike
Sponsored

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Is the softop supposed to "lock down" when it's folded all the way down? I have the cams in the locked position yet I can still lift the softop up several inches. It kind of bounces around when I drive.

Thanks.
Mike
Yep mine bounces too. It doesn’t stay super tight when it’s all the way down. Hard to see out the rear view mirror too.

OP
OP

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
Clubs

Hmm. I thought I saw a video somewhere that showed someone "snapping it down" once it was all the way back.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

Thanks.
Mike
It does, but the word “lock” doesn’t really accurately describe it. What most of us do is to use a set of Velcro or other straps around the top once it’s down. I basically will use three straps (one on each end and one in the middle) around the top and the rear window bar. Holds it tight, as low as it can go, and offers plenty of visibility.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The 2 "cam" locks keep the soft top from flying up, Yes there's like a 4" bounce. I drive I75 everyday (77 mph), no Velcro straps, locks are enabled and I just let it fly. Been a year now and everything is fine

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
If you forget to release the locks, there's some definite force stopping you from raising it back up, but yeah, it bounces a little bit when down. NBD.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I don’t know if it’s what I’m supposed to do, but my soft top came with an elastic loop that fastens to the soft top from a “button” or snap, maybe? It also came with Velcro straps that don’t quite fit around the top on their own, but I can make a loop with the Velcro and have it looped through the elastic that is snapped to the frame, and then also through the hook that latches in the front.

I’m not doing a good job of describing it, maybe I can take pics later.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I don’t know if it’s what I’m supposed to do, but my soft top came with an elastic loop that fastens to the soft top from a “button” or snap, maybe? It also came with Velcro straps that don’t quite fit around the top on their own, but I can make a loop with the Velcro and have it looped through the elastic that is snapped to the frame, and then also through the hook that latches in the front.

I’m not doing a good job of describing it, maybe I can take pics later.
From what I understand (and there are many threads on this) the loop with the snaps are for rolling up the back window and securing it in an open mode while the top is still up (which had been an option for generations, despite not working well on the JL due to the window “tracks” along the sides.) The Velcro straps that came with the top are for use when the top is in “sunrider” mode.

If I was home with my Jeep I’d take some photos to demonstrate, but you can likely find some either on here or on the internet if you need them. Hope this helps!

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Even though they've resigned it with the lack of sail panels and the added rail system, the soft top springing around like that is by no means a new thing. Every previous generation Wrangler does it in some form, too. I've come to accept that the rear view mirror is largely useless if you've got the top down and a larger than stock spare tire.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Even though they've resigned it with the lack of sail panels and the added rail system, the soft top springing around like that is by no means a new thing. Every previous generation Wrangler does it in some form, too. I've come to accept that the rear view mirror is largely useless if you've got the top down and a larger than stock spare tire.
Yep I agree!

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban

Thanks.
Mike
I learned a lot after reading this post ... and the rest of the thread. He talks about using 2" x 36" to stop the bouncing, which has been found to cause wea-and-tear to the top over time if not strapped. The velcro straps seem much better the ones provided and not too much $$ on Amazon.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I used the (2) Velcro straps that came with my top and wrapped around the top support bars on each side after I lock them. It works as far as I can tell.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I use the short Velcro straps that came with to hold the top to the roll bar in back on each side, then I also use the larger Velcro straps from Amazon to wrap the actual top which keeps everything from bouncing and offers great rear view accessibility.
Sponsored