xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Fo those that are still looking for a solution to mount their Dual ARB, Grimm Off Road has a great kit that includes everything you need to place the compressor below the brake booster.
https://www.grimmoffroad.com/10013-2018-2020-jeep-arb-twin-compressor-mounting-bracket-kit.html
I got mine from Northridge 4x4 $200 and worth it.
I have evo coilovers so it was a lot more work to get it installed but it works well and the EVO fender liners fit too.
Trail Recon just did a video of this kit. Pretty slick how they relocated the intake filters.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Fo those that are still looking for a solution to mount their Dual ARB, Grimm Off Road has a great kit that includes everything you need to place the compressor below the brake booster.
https://www.grimmoffroad.com/10013-2018-2020-jeep-arb-twin-compressor-mounting-bracket-kit.html
I got mine from Northridge 4x4 $200 and worth it.
I have evo coilovers so it was a lot more work to get it installed but it works well and the EVO fender liners fit too.
Bad location due to heat. Numerous guys have used similar brackets and cooked their compressors.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Bad location due to heat. Numerous guys have used similar brackets and cooked their compressors.
Yep, mine is coming out as soon as I get my York installed. If I lift the hood and ONLY air up my own tires, it will do 37”s from 5 psi or so up to 27. BUT if I try to help a buddy air up, it will overheat and shut down after that. (I also have a 2 gallon air tank).

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is pretty much any location under the hood too hot? I was using an infrared temp gauge to check temps under the hood. That location under the brake booster was much cooler than the top of the engine. Wasn't the top of the engine the prime location for JKs or or did they have the same heat issues?

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
How hot do the ARB compressors run? Are there any issues running these under the seat? I plan on ordering the dual compressor I am trying to find the best location so I can order the proper bracket.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Is it possible to install the single piston compressor under the front seat? It seems that the ARB bracket is designed for the dual piston only...
@EU_Wrangler , you're correct - the bracket is set up for the dual compressor. But you could use the dual bracket for a single compressor if you're willing to drill a couple of holes. Depending on your use case, I recommend spending the extra money for the dual compressor kit though. Having the extra air flow volume is really worth it when you're filling tires.

How hot do the ARB compressors run? Are there any issues running these under the seat? I plan on ordering the dual compressor I am trying to find the best location so I can order the proper bracket.
@Cthehentz , they get pretty warm if you've been running them continuously for 5 minutes or so. They're not hazardously hot or anything, but they would be uncomfortable to touch. Keep in mind, most of the heat isn't from the motors, it's simply from compressing the air. Compressing anything generates heat. (After all, that what makes a diesel engine go bang. They don't have spark plugs, they ignite via compression.)

Another thing to consider: How long will they be running? What you plan on using them for? And will you be sitting in the seat when that's happening? If you're using them for lockers - that's a low volume, low pressure requirement. You'll be sitting on them, but they only run for about a second and then shut off. No heat issues there. If you're using them to fill your tires, they'll need to run longer. But you (or your passenger) probably won't be sitting on them while you're airing up. You'll be hangin' out with your trail buddies after a day of wheelin'!

Other people have mentioned heat concerns if you mount them under the hood. These compressors will shut off if they get too hot. (It's called "duty cycle" - how long something can run before it needs to take a break.) If you install these under your hood, then they're already "warmed up" when you start using them. They'll still run, but they won't take as long to reach the point where they need to shut off for a while. So you're reducing your duty cycle. Similar issue if you install them in the cargo cubby in the back. Without enough ventilation, they'll heat up faster, and therefore shut off sooner. Simply stated: air compressors need to be in a location with plenty of cool air.

I was worried about heat and noise too. I have my dual compressor system installed under my driver's seat, and it's not an issue at all.

Sorry for the wordy response - just wanted to give you a holistic answer.

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
@EU_Wrangler , you're correct - the bracket is set up for the dual compressor. But you could use the dual bracket for a single compressor if you're willing to drill a couple of holes. Depending on your use case, I recommend spending the extra money for the dual compressor kit though. Having the extra air flow volume is really worth it when you're filling tires.
Sounds good! thanks for your advice :like:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Is pretty much any location under the hood too hot? I was using an infrared temp gauge to check temps under the hood. That location under the brake booster was much cooler than the top of the engine. Wasn't the top of the engine the prime location for JKs or or did they have the same heat issues?
The problem with that location under the brake booster.....

Notice that in the install videos EVERYTHING in that area is already covered with heat shielding. Even the cables running in that area are in heat shielding. This tells us it's a particularly hot area due to proximity to the exhaust system in both a 3.6L and 2.0L (not sure on the Diesel and likely also similar).

So putting a electro-mechanical component that runs hot on it's own and relies on having cool air to do it's job is just a bad idea.

Even with the intake for the compressor relocated the air still needs to go down a long rubber tube that will get very hot in that area - so certainly the inlet to the compressor will be well above ambient.

This is why I really like the cargo bay location or under a seat as a mounting location, or even the side hanging mount for the rear tub lip. You are in clean ambient air. I get that you may not want to run a long electrical run but it's not that bad. I get you may not want the noise in the cab but it's not that bad.

I can tell you being in the middle of nowhere, aired down, and your compressor fails is a bad day. Been there and done that. So for me reliability is critical, to the point I am considering a single ARB as well just to have a backup.

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the information , I have decided to mount mine in the cargo area next to the roll cage. Now I just have to see what's in stock.....

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I built my own and used a an insulated aluminum heat shield on the exhaust side and had no problems for about 9 months until I added the coilovers, my bracket no longer worked. The new bracket sits higher and further from the exhaust and also includes a heat shield. MCJA's install is beautiful and very well done, tempting to replicate given the wonderful write up (Thank you)! 60s are in my future with air lockers, the occasional pump noise would drive me crazy inside. However, the tank he used would minimize that a great deal. I will be sure to let you all know if my compressor fails. Given the the dual compressor sides are independent from the battery to each compressor motor, i'd expect to see a failure from the side closest to the exhaust first and hopefully not leave me limping back to civilization on 6psi. Understanding that the relay for each compressor side is still a single point of failure that I could wire past if I had to.
Thanks ocenablue2019, great points.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I built my own and used a an insulated aluminum heat shield on the exhaust side and had no problems for about 9 months until I added the coilovers, my bracket no longer worked. The new bracket sits higher and further from the exhaust and also includes a heat shield. MCJA's install is beautiful and very well done, tempting to replicate given the wonderful write up (Thank you)! 60s are in my future with air lockers, the occasional pump noise would drive me crazy inside. However, the tank he used would minimize that a great deal. I will be sure to let you all know if my compressor fails. Given the the dual compressor sides are independent from the battery to each compressor motor, i'd expect to see a failure from the side closest to the exhaust first and hopefully not leave me limping back to civilization on 6psi. Understanding that the relay for each compressor side is still a single point of failure that I could wire past if I had to.
Thanks ocenablue2019, great points.
I'm sure you could rig up enough heat shielding to make it work; sort of isolate a compartment for it. But so far none of the kits go that far.

I also think there is room down next to the steering box but would take a fairly complex bracket to get it mounted. That would not be too bad of a place as in front of all the exhaust stuff.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I run mine under the passenger seat. I did not cut the air channel back as far as they recommend since I do not have the small tank for lockers. I run my engine while using the compressor and run my AC on high and in floor mode to run cool air over the compressor. I have filled up my tires and two other Jeeps and had no issues with the compressor overheating. Based on all the previous threads on engine compartment mounting I chose the current location. I was concerned mostly about heat, but also dust and grime in the engine compartment.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Thanks for all the information , I have decided to mount mine in the cargo area next to the roll cage. Now I just have to see what's in stock.....
I planned on doing this originally, but since I run topless in Arizona so often, I didn't want it being so visibly obvious and a theft target.
Sponsored