Mounting ARB Air Compressor

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
probably a dumb question but is the air tank required to be purchased with the compressor, or can you run just the compressor thanks.
Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
probably a dumb question but is the air tank required to be purchased with the compressor, or can you run just the compressor thanks.
An air tank isn't required or needed for either the single or twin.

Just to be clear because I was unsure of that too when I started looking at compressors, the little tank looking thing on the single is not an air tank, it's an air locker manifold. It comes with the single and not with the double. You can still use the single with the manifold even if you aren't running lockers.

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Twin with a Rusty's mount in the tub. Need to wire it up next. I keep seeing people saying to use the two 40 amp aux switches. Why? The twin has an on/off wire (purple) that is literally run to a switch. Why not run that to an aux switch and run the big power wires to the battery? Sometimes I really wonder how some of these rigs dont burn to the ground, lol.
20200712_103226.jpg

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Twin with a Rusty's mount in the tub. Need to wire it up next. I keep seeing people saying to use the two 40 amp aux switches. Why? The twin has an on/off wire (purple) that is literally run to a switch. Why not run that to an aux switch and run the big power wires to the battery? Sometimes I really wonder how some of these rigs dont burn to the ground, lol.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200712_103226
How is using the aux switch which they are intended for going to “burn the Jeep to the ground”. Please explain.

CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Moab Edition
Vehicle Showcase
All you need is the compressor

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How is using the aux switch which they are intended for going to “burn the Jeep to the ground”. Please explain.
They are talking about running the hot wires through the AUX switches. Sure, they (2 of them) are rated at 40 ramps, but there is a better way to switch power to the compressor only using 1 lower amp AUX switch. I have no idea what your electrical / electronics background is, but running high current through switches will eventually create issues, one of which is high resistance and heat, even if they are rated for it. Relays / solenoids are much better at handling that, and in the case of the twin, it's built in using the purple wire for switching it on and off.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
They are talking about running the hot wires through the AUX switches. Sure, they (2 of them) are rated at 40 ramps, but there is a better way to switch power to the compressor only using 1 lower amp AUX switch. I have no idea what your electrical / electronics background is, but running high current through switches will eventually create issues, one of which is high resistance and heat, even if they are rated for it. Relays / solenoids are much better at handling that, and in the case of the twin, it's built in using the purple wire for switching it on and off.
Oh got it. So yeah I ran the main power to the battery but I am using the Aux switch to turn it on and off instead of the supplied switch. I thought that is what you meant that using the aux switch as a switch was bad.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200712_103226
I ran the purple wire to the Aux 4 switch. I mounted under the passenger seat and it has been awesome. Use it weekly to air up after airing down or to fill other peoples tires. I like this like the under passenger seat since it is hidden.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ran the purple wire to the Aux 4 switch. I mounted under the passenger seat and it has been awesome. Use it weekly to air up after airing down or to fill other peoples tires. I like this like the under passenger seat since it is hidden.
Did you run the power through the floor drain and to the battery then? I'm leaning more and more to this under the seat spot. I really didn't want the noise of the compressor inside the cab but I also don't want to put a 600$ compressor in the engine bay to get destroyed with salt.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Oh got it. So yeah I ran the main power to the battery but I am using the Aux switch to turn it on and off instead of the supplied switch. I thought that is what you meant that using the aux switch as a switch was bad.
I'm still learning the electrical stuff so quick quesiton... when you wire it this way, the 40 amp fuse on the aux switch is basically redundant and useless, right? Like the compressor is already fused, that is covered. And your just using the aux switch as an actual switch. Is that right?

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you run the power through the floor drain and to the battery then? I'm leaning more and more to this under the seat spot. I really didn't want the noise of the compressor inside the cab but I also don't want to put a 600$ compressor in the engine bay to get destroyed with salt.
I pulled the inside panel that runs along the passenger seat. I took the connector that plugs into the compressor and used electrical tape to make it a tight, single entity. I pushed a straighten metal coat hanger through the rubber grommet on the firewall on the passenger side. You will need to pop off part of the inner fender on the passenger front. I ran the wires from the engine compartment and down to go through the grommet and end up in the cab. I zip tied the compressor harness along the side panel and then put the connector back together and put it in the compressor.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still learning the electrical stuff so quick quesiton... when you wire it this way, the 40 amp fuse on the aux switch is basically redundant and useless, right? Like the compressor is already fused, that is covered. And your just using the aux switch as an actual switch. Is that right?
The wire for the Aux 4 switch is a 15 amp I believe.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
For anyone interested, I did a write-up of my ARB dual compressor and 4-tire system here.

As part of the installation, I also installed my own auxiliary fuse box with a 40 amp fuse for each compressor, and I use my OEM Aux 4 to turn them on. (I wired the fuse box for future upgrades as well. I have a write up for that here.)

Here are a few pictures of my OBA system and the fuse box.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor IMG_5516.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor IMG_5590.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor IMG_5587.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor IMG_5594.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor IMG_5520.JPG

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR