Mounting ARB Air Compressor

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I confirmed with Brit that ARB's will shut down if they get too hot. His take is get it as far away from heat as possible. I agree for sure but I never had this happen in the 20 years of wheeling with one under the hood.

Also cleaning your filters has a huge effect on longevity. And cool air is key.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Has anybody seen this? Obviously only works for the ARB single, but still. Would love to hear other thoughts.

Got mine installed except for power. Couldnt be easier. It does ever so slightly hit the hood insulation on the filter flange. I really didnt have to but I did file it down which was also easy.

While doing it I cleaned my filter. I cant believe how restrictive it is even after cleaning. I cut out a piece of an old dirt bike filter, oiled it and installed it. I now should be airing up in seconds. ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Installed, power run to it and tested. Yesterday it was 103. I parked the jeep, kept it running while I waited for them to bring me my pizza. A good ten minutes, opened the hood and checked out my previously installed thermometer. 160.

Drove it home, quickly aired down my 37 and aired it back up. No shut down and therm still read 160 ish.

Here in AZ summers we get inside vehicle temps around 150, so I'm thinking while it will get hotter under the hood for sure, it's still going to be fine and my 20 years of experience with the model ARB and the previous one has shown it to be no big deal....at least in the spot I put it.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Installed, power run to it and tested. Yesterday it was 103. I parked the jeep, kept it running while I waited for them to bring me my pizza. A good ten minutes, opened the hood and checked out my previously installed thermometer. 160.

Drove it home, quickly aired down my 37 and aired it back up. No shut down and therm still read 160 ish.

Here in AZ summers we get inside vehicle temps around 150, so I'm thinking while it will get hotter under the hood for sure, it's still going to be fine and my 20 years of experience with the model ARB and the previous one has shown it to be no big deal....at least in the spot I put it.
That’s awesome. I feel like there are a decent amount of ARB either under the hood in JK or in the driver fender well on JL and I don’t hear any complaints of heat issues. I’m sure or you left the hood closed it would be different.

Does it stick up really high? I was looking at mine and feel like it would touch the hood but maybe not.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
That’s awesome. I feel like there are a decent amount of ARB either under the hood in JK or in the driver fender well on JL and I don’t hear any complaints of heat issues. I’m sure or you left the hood closed it would be different.

Does it stick up really high? I was looking at mine and feel like it would touch the hood but maybe not.
It sticks up higher then I would like and it does BARELY hit the hood insulation. But I used the ARB mounting plate the video guy didnt use it so it probably didnt hit at all. I filed down the filter flange and all was well. Someone could easily fashion a new bracket to get it down a bit but I dont have a problem the way it is now.

Went wheeling today, Aired 37s down to 14. Aired 3 of them up (another compressor did the 4th) to 37-40 and no thermal shutdown. When I first popped the hood temps read 152.

Edit: After further inspection I found it rubs quite a bit on the hood pad. It could be the extra mounting plate I added but thinking it would rub anyway.

I cannot recommend this mod any longer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I jus
It sticks up higher then I would like and it does BARELY hit the hood insulation. But I used the ARB mounting plate the video guy didnt use it so it probably didnt hit at all. I filed down the filter flange and all was well. Someone could easily fashion a new bracket to get it down a bit but I dont have a problem the way it is now.

Went wheeling today, Aired 37s down to 14. Aired 3 of them up (another compressor did the 4th) to 37-40 and no thermal shutdown. When I first popped the hood temps read 152.

Edit: After further inspection I found it rubs quite a bit on the hood pad. It could be the extra mounting plate I added but thinking it would rub anyway.

Just finished installing one using the same bracket and not getting any rubbing on a Rubicon. Not sure if that matters. Also not using the ARB plate.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Five minutes or so per tire sounds about right. I've got the portable Arb dual compressor system and it works awesome, just not 5 minutes for 4 tires awesome. I don't even think my CO2 bottle could fill all 4 in 5 min.

ZUKi-vxfDHzdfYcwlfMPvdiZ5aS&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg
How do you like it? I’m considering one but it seems every place has it price-fixed at exactly $872.03.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Interesting. Any pics?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I can’t argue with your opinion, but the components of the IJK mount system cost more than you think they do. The 4 air chucks alone without the connectors to the hose are almost $30. Add in fittings, hose tubing, gauge, etc, and there is no way the raw components cost less than $100. Factor in packaging, assembly labor, profit to make it worthwhile to do and it doesn’t seem like as poor a value to me as it does to you.

Also, I wonder if there’s no mounting template to allow installers freedom to position it exactly where they want it.
You can piece a better setup together on your own for about the same money.

1) Use ARB under seat mount as it is much better constructed and protects the compressor intakes from being kicked. $100.

2) Use a proper stainless outlet hose that can handle the temp. $25 on Amazon.

3) Use Haltec stems, which are a $40 option on the IJK. Can get for $40 a set on Amazon.

4) Rest of plumbing to duplicate the iJK setup is $70 on Amazon including a digital pressure gauge.

So you won't save anything but you do get a better setup system. You will have to fab the mount tabs yourself which may or may not be a deal breaker.

The IJK setup is not a bad deal overall.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You can piece a better setup together on your own for about the same money.

1) Use ARB under seat mount as it is much better constructed and protects the compressor intakes from being kicked. $100.

2) Use a proper stainless outlet hose that can handle the temp. $25 on Amazon.

3) Use Haltec stems, which are a $40 option on the IJK. Can get for $40 a set on Amazon.

4) Rest of plumbing to duplicate the iJK setup is $70 on Amazon including a digital pressure gauge.

So you won't save anything but you do get a better setup system. You will have to fab the mount tabs yourself which may or may not be a deal breaker.

The IJK setup is not a bad deal overall.
For approximately the same money and not having to source from different places and fabricate anything, I’ll do it the easy way. But everyone can do whatever floats their boat.

Also, the Haltec air chucks are standard equipment now. I have them. They are much better than the other type that used to be standard.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
That is lotsa money for a tiny compressor... :surprised:

owais

First Name
Owais
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bike
quick question.i just purchased my arb. I realize you run force and ground to spod. Be that as it may, shouldn't something be said about weight switch. Also, do you despite everything utilize the hand-off it accompanies
https://1921681001.id/ , https://19216811.cam/ ,jpgtopdf

Last edited: