Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. Needing to get away from the Houston area for a few days and wondering if anyone has mapped out a drive in Texas that has points along the way for quiet camping. Would be sleeping in my JL. What's everyone doing, where you headed and how was it? Not planning any heavy rock climbing or anything as I am doing this along with the dog.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The Big Bend area is the first thing that popped in my mind but that is a long drive from Houston.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Big Bend area is the first thing that popped in my mind but that is a long drive from Houston.
We definitely want to get out to that area but yes...long ways away. Need to make a week out of that one.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Wow, this is really great. With so much private land in Texas, I was unaware that something like this even existed. Too bad I moved (not really).

CMâ›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
This loop is pretty good by Texas’ standards. I’d love to hear about any others as the options are pretty slim unless you know someone with land.
There are some cool sights along the way including the herd of massive Longhorns, many old ranch buildings, several river crossings (careful after rain as they can rage pretty good for a day or two), there is an exotic animal ranch that borders the road with some good viewing chances, and some nice Hill Country landscapes. Nothing technical other than the water crossings after rain. They blocked my second time trying this route a day after a storm.
I don’t know that I would wild camp along the route, but I haven’t really researched that. Just assumed it would be frowned upon. There is camping at Oxford Ranch Campground south of Llano for $8/adult near the route. I was there this past weekend and it is a really nice place with 20 or so sites spread over many acres with shade trees and fire rings. Also camping available at Enchanted Rock State Park, once it reopens. Happy Overlanding!

Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I know this isn't really a 'route' as requested by the OP, but there are some websites (listed below) that are setup to put campers together with private land owners willing to 'rent' camping space. Kind of like AirBNB for campers. You have to read through the 'hipsterese' they use when describing some of the campsites, but they're one available resource for private land camping options out there. Some require subscriptions so that may be a dealbreaker. I haven't used any of these yet, but I've been scoping out hipcamp.com for a while now and they get pretty good reviews, and are rapidly expanding.

- hipcamp.com
- boondockerswelcome.com
- harvesthosts.com
- tentrr.com

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I'm going to try this out on Friday if the weather is good I'll take some pictures and post them on here.
post photos even if weather is crappy, are you camping or rushing it?

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited
We're doing Thanksgiving in Kingsland, so my plan was leave from there in the morning and head to Fredericksburg to pick up some wine and head back through marble falls. I have no idea how long if a drive that would be, so we might not make the whole trip.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
We're doing Thanksgiving in Kingsland, so my plan was leave from there in the morning and head to Fredericksburg to pick up some wine and head back through marble falls. I have no idea how long if a drive that would be, so we might not make the whole trip.
We spent the night in Fredericksburg about 6 weeks ago. Spent about 3+ hours driving the route and only did about 1/4.
Sponsored