Sponsored

Snow Wheeling in Texas!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Snowing since this morning. Nearly 4 inches of accumulation here in Central Texas. This is rare and a lot of fun for young and old. I keep thinking I need to get the Jeep out in it and the younger me would of already, but the older me doesn't want anything to do with drivers around these parts in these conditions. So this is as close as this Jeep is going to get to snow wheeling. LOL.

20210110 Snow Wheeling.jpg
Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
This isn't a sign of the pockylips?😳

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
I'm in the same city as you and I had a blast! drove up to the university, and it was gorgeous! What a fun day.

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Morons decided to make I-45 a parking lot at the Sam Houston statue in Huntsville at the first signs of accumulation. Decided to go further north to the Walker County rest area so the kids could have fun.

20210110_204323.jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Blasphemy! Just cold here, no snow thankfully. I just finished facilitating a safety meeting (Zoom) at work on cold weather driving safety. Some of our guys out west in Odessa/Midland area reported that they’d had from 3-6” over the weekend.

Stay safe, have fun, and know when to park it.

Sponsored

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
The wife and I took my 6yr old daughter out to play in the snow as she was dying to make a snow angel. Seeing as we already live off 290, we continued heading NW up to College Station and pulled over in a small business park/neighborhood and we had a total blast. Plenty of idiots on the road and quite a few in the ditches or facing the wrong way in the central reservation (median?).

Not that we got into much snow, but the Jeep did great and only got wobbly a few times while making lane changes when there was snow accumulating between the lanes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Wheeling in Texas! 1610395965900

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Wheeling in Texas! 1610396263079

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looks like a ton of fun. Been 17 years since the white stuff made it all the way down to the valley :(

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do they salt the roads down there, or is it so rare that they don't bother to invest in it?

OP
OP
TxJeepers

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I think most of Texas stays salt free but they will spray a lot of the highways and bridges with some solution to help with icing.
Edit: You made me curious. It's liquid magnesium chloride that they spray. Also, forgot while lived in the Houston area, they'll sand the roads and bridges. We have lots of sand in Texas. :)
Edit Edit: Yes, its pretty rare for most of us and when it does, its gone in 24-48 hours usually.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think most of Texas stays salt free but they will spray a lot of the highways and bridges with some solution to help with icing.
Edit: You made me curious. It's liquid magnesium chloride that they spray. Also, forgot while lived in the Houston area, they'll sand the roads and bridges. We have lots of sand in Texas. :)
Edit Edit: Yes, its pretty rare for most of us and when it does, its gone in 24-48 hours usually.
Lol, yeah, they have made it more sophisticated than salt, but we old guys still call it that. I'd prefer sand since salt eats Jeeps. 😄. I lived in Houston one winter and remember everyone and the media freaking out because the temperature was expected to drop below freezing one night. 🤣

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Never got anything here in Katy TX.....Looking forward to going back to the Midwest in a few year when I retire and get away from all this heat and no snow

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I unfortunately had to work that whole dang day......so wasn't snowing when I drove in and was essentially melted by the time I got home. At least my family and dog had a good time playing in it,. My Jeep sat there under cover wishing it could go play....I was able to sneak out and watch it snow (and snap a pic so I'd at least have one with my jeep and snow)......
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow Wheeling in Texas! Jeep Snow

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Do they salt the roads down there, or is it so rare that they don't bother to invest in it?
For the most part, most of the cities south of Dallas freak out, panic, close down the city and all services for the day. Kind of comical....:LOL: