Wrangler vs gladiator

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Family of 4? Get a Wrangler, or better yet, keep the one you have, and buy a real pickup. Dont get the Gladiator, because it is new, and a crossover vehicle. If you only have one vehicle, what are you to do, when your First Year Gladiator breaks down?
The Gladiator is definitely not a crossover. It's a true body on frame truck.

That said, suggest the OP get a full-size pickup based on his stated criteria.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The gladiator is going to be pretty awesome but it sounds like you need a full size. I did the same thing but Iā€™m getting ready to buy a 2 door Rubicon soon. I have a Rubicon truck too. Lol this thing is a pleasure to drive on the highway. Itā€™s huge inside with lots of room. The new 1500s are luxury too.

92CAED7F-3001-4704-ADFC-D2B995D81756.jpeg

Sponsored

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
You buy a jeep becuase its a jeep, if you want a truck, get a RAM. ( From a gut feeling, this is jeeps first truck in 30 years, and history states to never buy the first edition of anything). my 2 cents.
I totally agree with you. If you want a truck, buy a truck. If you want a Jeep buy a Jeep. But either way, their both better than a Toyota.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Well... Technically, if you want a Jeep and a pickup, buy the Jeep Gladiator.

I have an old '92 GMC pickup with 60,000 miles for chores around the house. A pickup is a 'gotta have' for me.

If I only could have one vehicle and I didn't have a friend who could loan me a pickup I would be forced to select the Gladiator.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I saw the Gladiator at the L.A. car show. Freakin huge! Its not quite as big as my GMC Crew 6.5ft bed, but I'd put it dang close to a 5.5ft bed GM truck. And still with the little V6. Makes no sense to me. Get a GM 5.5ft bed crew and a 6.2 or 5.3 L V8 if you need that size a vehicle.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I saw the Gladiator at the L.A. car show. Freakin huge! Its not quite as big as my GMC Crew 6.5ft bed, but I'd put it dang close to a 5.5ft bed GM truck. And still with the little V6. Makes no sense to me. Get a GM 5.5ft bed crew and a 6.2 or 5.3 L V8 if you need that size a vehicle.
Yeah. The Gladiator is missing a powerful engine.
However, the GM pickup is missing the ability to go topless.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I hope the Gladiator is a hit. It is a lot longer than I had expected.

The rear doors look awkward to me. Mark Allen stated that they were saving money and used the JLU doors instead of designing new ones.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have been wanting one vehicle to do it all for quite awhile now. I didnt wait for the glad because rumors of it only coming in a diesel, Now I know different.

I currently have a F150 Screw and love it along with my 18 JLUR is sweet too. Having two rigs is nice but also a PITA with two to upkeep and the expense of insurance.

The new glad appears to be awesome but not without some things that bother me. I dont do the nasty stuff like I did with my TJ but I will be doing some stuff and it appears the vehicle is too long and too much hanging over the rear wheel. I'd like to see one to confirm though.

If my thoughts are correct it looks like I will be keeping both rigs. The ford has sweet power, tows more, and is paid off, lol. And my JLUR will likely be more capable off road too then a gladiator.

Still I cant help hoping I'm wrong.

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
I have a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and a JL 2 door Sport S with manual.
Best of both worlds for our lifestyle.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i also have a ram 1500 and a 2 door rubicon.
there aren't many times i need a truck, so the wrangler is the vehicle of choice. when i need a truck, i have the ram.
i'm not worried about scratching the truck, it's a truck and used as one.

i chose the 2 door over the 4 door, and i have two german shepherds. i prefer to remove the back seat all together, rather than just fold down like the 4 door offers.

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
i also have a ram 1500 and a 2 door rubicon.
there aren't many times i need a truck, so the wrangler is the vehicle of choice. when i need a truck, i have the ram.
i'm not worried about scratching the truck, it's a truck and used as one.

i chose the 2 door over the 4 door, and i have two german shepherds. i prefer to remove the back seat all together, rather than just fold down like the 4 door offers.
Same here with 2 door and rear seat removed. We have 2 Labs.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
For our garage we would likely have to strip it clean and I mean move fridge etc. to fit a gladiator. I'm not sure you'd be able to walk around it.
I hope people that intend to park it in their garage measure the length of their space. Although if the spare is underneath that may offset the extra length needed over JLUR.
Sponsored