Wrangler eTorque?

JustinWPI11

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Traded in my 2013 JKU a month ago for a new Jeep Gladiator. I love it but now the wife wants a new Wrangler. She is interested in the 2.0l eTorque or waiting for the Plug in hybrid to come out.

1) Any reviews/ input on the 2.0l eTorque (or 3.6 eTorque)

2) Anyone seen any update on expected release of the phev due to covid?

Thanks all.
Sponsored

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my 19 JLU with the 2.9L eTorque in it and have put about 10K miles on it so far.
Power- very nice, it's got 30 more ft/lb of torque that is accomplished at a lower rpm range than the V6, which, IMHO, you can feel. The mpg is really nice, even though I've put 275/70/18's on it, I would recommend a programmer to straighten out shifts, and the speedo.
FWIW- I'd say it's a good option.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Traded in my 2013 JKU a month ago for a new Jeep Gladiator. I love it but now the wife wants a new Wrangler. She is interested in the 2.0l eTorque or waiting for the Plug in hybrid to come out.

1) Any reviews/ input on the 2.0l eTorque (or 3.6 eTorque)

2) Anyone seen any update on expected release of the phev due to covid?

Thanks all.
Hey Justin,

Jeep has been busy switching up engine options they offer across different trim levels. The 2.0L eTorque, which is a great powertrain. It is only offered on the Recon trim level for 2020.

All other 2.0L are non-eTorques. The newest offering is the 3.6L eTorque. Here's a recent article from Car & Driver.
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ur-cylinder-v-6-hybrid-diesel-by-the-numbers/

Lastly, I did a video review of the 2.oL eTorque out on the trail. You can find that on my YouTube channel-Expedition Builds.

I hope this helps.

-Steven

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have owned my '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque for 14 months now. I highly recommend it. Not a single problem. There is a 2.0 section on this forum. You will find 99% of 2.0T owners love them. You will also find they are very reliable. The Federal Emissions Warranty covers the eTorque components beyond the standard power-train warranty.

The driving dynamics of the 2.0T eTorque is totally different then the 3.6 engine. The new 8-speed automatic is a excellent match for both engines. The 8-speed is perfectly mated to the 2.0T. The extra torque is definitely noticeable. There is more useable power and torque. There is extra torque from the generator for 1/2 a tire rotation to get you off the line. Then there is the extra torque from the turbo. What is significant is the very flat torque curve of the turbo. The extra torque is useable very low in the rpm band and remains fairly flat thru out the power band. Its more useable power. It moves the weight of the Jl easier. It makes it feel more agile. It is a "sportier" drive compared to the 3.6. The extra torque is really beneficial if you ever decide to use heavier or larger tires and wheels. The extra torque from the generator and turbo help get the heavier and larger wheels moving a lot easier. The extra torque is a huge bonus because wheel and tire upgrades are probably the #1 upgrade Wranglers do.

Then there is the Start/Stop. The eTorque Start/Stop works a LOT better then the ESS system. The eTorque system is a LOT less intrusive then the ESS system with the smaller aux battery. I leave it ON. with my 2.0T eTorque. I would definitely turn OFF the ESS Start/Stop system.

No one buys Wranglers for fuel efficiency but it's nice to have the extra driving range on trails. I am pleasantly surprised with my mpg. The 2.0T fuel efficiency is excellent for a Wrangler. I have owned different Wranglers. I owned a TJ with 3-speed auto, JK with the 3.6 and 5-speed auto, and Now a JLR 2.0T eTorque. My stock TJ never ever got more then 16 mpg in almost 200K miles. It's over all average was closer to 14-15 mpg and it was a dog power wise compared to the JL. My stock JK averaged around 16-17 mpg with a high of around 18-19 mpg IF all the stars lined up perfectly. It was not often, I mostly averaged 16-17 mpg. My JLR averages 18-19 with 75% city and bumper to bumper driving. I have seen as high as 26 mpg on the highway with the A/C blasting. What is significant is my JLR is doing that with Rubicon gears, larger, heavier tires and wheels. I believe a Sport or Sahara with higher gears would get even better mpg.

I could easily live with either a 3.6 or 2.0T. Both are excellent. Just different driving dynamics. As much as I like the 3.6 I personally doubt I would go back to one after driving a 2.0T. The 2.0's power and extra torque is addictive.

Another thing to consider if you decide against the eTorque. The ESS system. It's fairly common for the ESS Aux battery to fail prematurely. It seems to be a Achilles Heel. The ESS charging and batteries need some kind of update. A bad ESS battery can cause all kinds of problems and codes that are seemingly unrelated to the charging system and batteries. No starts means being stranded and waiting for a tow. This is much more common then a eTorque related failure.

Last edited:

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Justin

I have two JLs both 3.6 autos. 18 Sahara and 20 Rubicon

I test drove a Sahara, live up the road from you in Brunswick. It was a 19 with the 2.0 and the ETQ.
We drove it for a few hours in Harpswell and on highway. My imrpessions were that it was not any faster than the std 3.6. although it probably had Regular 87 octane gas in it so I am sure that it would of performed better with premium.

It rode about the same as my wifes 18 Sahara with the 3.6. Where it stood out was the start stop which is seemless with the ETQ.

Now the downside, with the 2.0 you have the std normal cooling circuit for the engine. They added a 2nd dedicated cooling circuit for the Turbo on the 2.0 which is a good thing for keeping the Turbo happy. Then you have a 3rd cooling circuit for the 48V battery. So you should really crawl under and take a close look at the rats nest of plastic fitting and hoses. Then ask your self, when this reaches about 8 yrs and 100K and its time for PM and you have to start replacing all those hoses and whatnot, are you game?

Note I have 3 Turbo cars and have owned 7 Turbo cars, so I like them. maybe the 2.0 without the ETQ or the 3.6 in a Sahara with the ETQ wouldnt be as complex.

I wanted another Sahara but for 2020 they only came with the 3.6 ETQ, so I ordered a Rubicon.
Another thing with the 2.0 is direct injection, many many makes and models with DI and a myriad of problems. So another reason I went 3.6. didnt want to be doing a VW imitation walnut blasting valves due to carbon build up, my SIL and niece have junky Jettas and have paid big $ to fix misfire codes due to their crap DI. 4 yr old cars with DI and need major work! No thanks, not until the 2.0 is out there for 5 or so years would I want to be early adopter.

I doubt the gas mileage is going to be much different, the 3.6 is a proven engine and should be lower cost over the long haul IMHO.

How do you like your Gladiator? A friend bought one, we rust proofed it and put a Mopar lift, SS Track bar, Griffen, and 37's on it. He just added a synergy steering bracket on it. Rides nice.

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have owned my '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque for 14 months now. I highly recommend it. Not a single problem. There is a 2.0 section on this forum. You will find 99% of 2.0T owners love them. You will also find they are very reliable. The Federal Emissions Warranty covers the eTorque components beyond the standard power-train warranty.

The driving dynamics of the 2.0T eTorque is totally different then the 3.6 engine. The new 8-speed automatic is a excellent match for both engines. The 8-speed is perfectly mated to the 2.0T. The extra torque is definitely noticeable. There is more useable power and torque. There is extra torque from the generator for 1/2 a tire rotation to get you off the line. Then there is the extra torque from the turbo. What is significant is the very flat torque curve of the turbo. The extra torque is useable very low in the rpm band and remains fairly flat thru out the power band. Its more useable power. It moves the weight of the Jl easier. It makes it feel more agile. It is a "sportier" drive compared to the 3.6. The extra torque is really beneficial if you ever decide to use heavier or larger tires and wheels. The extra torque from the generator and turbo help get the heavier and larger wheels moving a lot easier. The extra torque is a huge bonus because wheel and tire upgrades are probably the #1 upgrade Wranglers do.

Then there is the Start/Stop. The eTorque Start/Stop works a LOT better then the ESS system. The eTorque system is a LOT less intrusive then the ESS system with the smaller aux battery. I leave it ON. with my 2.0T eTorque. I would definitely turn OFF the ESS Start/Stop system.

No one buys Wranglers for fuel efficiency but it's nice to have the extra driving range on trails. I am pleasantly surprised with my mpg. The 2.0T fuel efficiency is excellent for a Wrangler. I have owned different Wranglers. I owned a TJ with 3-speed auto, JK with the 3.6 and 5-speed auto, and Now a JLR 2.0T eTorque. My stock TJ never ever got more then 16 mpg in almost 200K miles. It's over all average was closer to 14-15 mpg and it was a dog power wise compared to the JL. My stock JK averaged around 16-17 mpg with a high of around 18-19 mpg IF all the stars lined up perfectly. It was not often, I mostly averaged 16-17 mpg. My JLR averages 18-19 with 75% city and bumper to bumper driving. I have seen as high as 26 mpg on the highway with the A/C blasting. What is significant is my JLR is doing that with Rubicon gears, larger, heavier tires and wheels. I believe a Sport or Sahara with higher gears would get even better mpg.

I could easily live with either a 3.6 or 2.0T. Both are excellent. Just different driving dynamics. As much as I like the 3.6 I personally doubt I would go back to one after driving a 2.0T. The 2.0's power and extra torque is addictive.

One thing I do not like about the ESS is the fairly common failure of the batteries. It seems to be a Achilles Heel. The ESS charging and batteries need some kind of update. A bad ESS battery can cause all kinds of problems and codes that are seemingly unrelated to the charging system and batteries. No starts means being stranded and waiting for a tow. This is much more common then a eTorque related failure.
Nice reflection on 2.0L eTorque ownership Viper. As you noted, turbo's can be tuned to deliver very flat torque curves low in the rpms.

I'm also excited about the ability to add more performance via tuning in the future. I've done that to my turbo vehicle I own with great results.

It's also interesting to me that Jeep chose to offer the 2.0L eTorque only in the Recon.

-Steven

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Nice reflection on 2.0L eTorque ownership Viper. As you noted, turbo's can be tuned to deliver very flat torque curves low in the rpms.

I'm also excited about the ability to add more performance via tuning in the future. I've that to my turbo vehicle I own with great results.

It's also interesting to me that Jeep chose to offer the 2.0L eTorque only in the Recon.

-Steven
Both engines are great. Really can't go wrong with either. Just depends on what you prefer. Even dead stock, the turbo motor's flat torque curve helps hide the weight of the JL. It's a excellent match with the 8-speed. The extra torque and power band gets it moving and keeps it moving with seemingly less effort so it it feels more agile. The added torque of the eTorque and turbo help with the most common Wrangler mod of all. Larger wheel and tire upgrades. This is where the 2.0T eTorque has a very noticeable advantage over the 3.6 engine's power band. I believe the extra torque of the turbo and eTorque will have less owners going for a re-gear.

There is definitely more tuning potential for any turbo engine.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Both engines are great. Really can't go wrong with either. Just depends on what you prefer. Even dead stock, the turbo motor's flat torque curve helps hide the weight of the JL. It's a excellent match with the 8-speed. The extra torque and power band gets it moving and keeps it moving with seemingly less effort so it it feels more agile. The added torque of the eTorque and turbo help with the most common Wrangler mod of all. Larger wheel and tire upgrades. This is where the 2.0T eTorque has a very noticeable advantage over the 3.6 engine's power band. I believe the extra torque of the turbo and eTorque will have less owners going for a re-gear.

There is definitely more tuning potential for any turbo engine.
Yeah, you bring up a good point about the torque curve relative to possible re-gear...especially 35's.

The other real game changer that both engines benefited from was the new 8-speed auto. That addition really added efficiency.

-Steven

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
I have the 2.0 etorque with a lift and 35s. I am not planning to regear as it drives great. I will hit 8th gear under the right conditions, about 60-65 on a flat highway. It is about 50/50 on people recommending the regear from what I have read. Get about 20.5 overall MPG, which is a lot better than my 2008 with the old 3.8, I just get about 17. I am planning road trips to OBX and Florida this summer, so I will get some better data on HYW MPG. As someone mentioned, the 48V battery is covered up to 8 years. Good Luck with your decision!
Sponsored