Sponsored

2021 Rubicon - 4 cylinder vs V6 eTorque???

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I know some people love it, but the ft 4wd option for whatever it costs you get a lesser front axle and turn your rubicon into an audi. I don't see the advantage of this.

Lived in placed like you mention as well-buffalo, chicago, toronto, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I know some people love it, but the ft 4wd option for whatever it costs you get a lesser front axle and turn your rubicon into an audi. I don't see the advantage of this.

Lived in placed like you mention as well-buffalo, chicago, toronto, etc.
I thought the axels are still dana44 front and rear and only thing that changes is cv joints instead of U-joints?

And agree 2wd around town in slippery conditions is more than fine and always have 4h for any driving in serious snow. Its more just a nice to have if I could find one for 4x4 auto.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I thought the axels are still dana44 front and rear and only thing that changes is cv joints instead of U-joints?

And agree 2wd around town in slippery conditions is more than fine and always have 4h for any driving in serious snow. Its more just a nice to have if I could find one for 4x4 auto.
Yep, and less clearance, and they look less beefy. And maybe resell issues because not norm. I owned an audi once, ok in the crappier weather, needed more clearance and better tires but it was nothing like 4wd.

But, your jeep, get what you want. I would just as soon save the coin and shift. But I am already shifting, so it's not a bother.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
24K on my 2.0 ( with e torque)Only “real” issue I had was the main battery went earlier than I expected but not a huge deal. I always carry a portable battery bank that can jump, so it didn’t leave me stranded or anything. I’m running 140 lb wheel and tire combo (bead locks and 37” nitto trail grapplers) and the stock 4.10’s are fine. 3 1/2” lift with winch up front, steel bumpers — averaging 18-19 mpg over 20,000 miles. Feels fast. Not loud ( not sure why others think that. I’ve had a 3.6 and 3.8 it’s quieter than both ) and the turbo lag is noticeable but doesn’t bother me. Felt faster than the 3.6.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have the etorque 4 cylinder. I like it a lot. Feels pretty quick, run exceptionally well at high altitude, and gets acceptable gas mileage. Perhaps the only down side I have experienced...it’s important to select gears manually when off roading to avoid turbo lag. I have always done this...though some may not. You won’t go wrong either way....

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Thanks all for your comments, ended up going for the 2L 4cylinder turbo in Sarge Green as attached :) Extremely happy! Drove both motors and was more than happy with the 4cylinder, it was a bit cheaper, in the colour we wanted, and to me a less complicated machine electronics wise. Can't wait to hit the trails!!
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Rubicon - 4 cylinder vs V6 eTorque??? IMG_6520
Sponsored