First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager
I do like the push button start but it took me a bit getting used to..

My F150 trade in was normal fob and key so on that truck i was used to removing the key from the ign and clicking the lock button...key was already in hand to unlock and start...

My Wife has the prox keyless on her grand cherokee and its a nice system...

When i got my JL that does not have prox there were several times i walked up and grabbed the handle and stood there like "wtf..??" before i remembered i had to get the key from my pocket

Other times id hit unlock and look for a key hole.

Im used to it now...hit unlock, drop keys in the cup holder and push to start...push the button and grab the keys on the way out
Sponsored

Donack31

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S
For those without the proximity locks, would you prefer a regular key ignition over the push button start?

I have/had other cars with push button starts, but they also all have/had proximity locks and all that makes sense as the fob just stays in the pocket.
I find the JL set up a pain as even though I have power locks I take the fob out, push the button, then put it back in my pocket.
On the Base I test drove I found the process even more annoying with the key and locks.

Does anyone else find they don't lock the doors with the Jeep all the time vs cars with regular key ignitions because of just wanting to leave the the fob in your pocket?
At first I was skeptical about the push start . Since in the past my girlfriend has driven off while I still had the fob in my pocket. But over the past couple months since I've owned my Jeep it's grown on me . It's definitely more convenient than a standard key ignition.

Donack31

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I mean.. If we're nitpicking... I don't think it provides any benefit if you don't have proximity locks, since you gotta have your key out anyway. Also, I hate the button itself. Half the time I press to start and it just switches to aux, so I have to press it again.. And it's not a push to start it's a push and hold to start, so, I end up long pressing it twice.. that's kinda ghetto.
When you step on the brake and push the button it only goes to aux? You should bring it back.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have one of these caribiner keychains, clip to my belt loop stick in my pocket and no worries (since I'm old & forgetful), only have to deal w/ the fob when unlocking vehicle as I just push the lock button when I park Jeep. Would not want to go back to fumbling for keys :) Oh, and GO AVALANCHE!
ff_2227214_full.jpg

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
The JLU pushbutton start is a major pain when I get in the wife very tiny sports car, and realize I am sitting in her Pontiac Solstice. Next -- I open the car door to be able to reach into my pants pocket for the Solstice Key.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I like push button start.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I mean, having a key doesn't change anything. You're just using a key to operate a switch rather than a button. It literally changes nothing.
In this case it made a difference. The problem wasn't the battery or the alternator. After your trucks and a lot of back and forth with the dealership it was realized that the problem was our key was dying!

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
push button start is just another complication added to an already over complicated vehicle that actually gives no real benefit (like the stupid aux battery put in a place you cant really get at easily if you needed to).
and for those 1% of us with manual trannies, how are you gonna push start it when it's dead and the button wont even get you to 'run'?

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I much rather have a key ignition. less drain on the fob battery and more chances the jeep is gonna start even with a dead key fob. i dont under stand the laziness behind the push to start. I mean how hard is it to turn the key 45 degrees in an ignition and how bad must you hate doing that to create a feature that ups the price of a simple vehicle and allows it to be stolen so much easier with a homemade repeater. just my 2 cents. bring back the ignition key and loss the push to start.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I can't stand Push Start. I love having keys dangle through a keyed ignition.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I much rather have a key. I'm not a fan of the push button. I have left the Rubicon and RAM running multiple times. That doesn't happen with a key. There is also something nice about turning a key to start the vehicle.

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Not having proximity open and push button would have been a deal killer for me (flame suit on). After two previous cars having them wasn't about to go back to using a key. It is one of the things once you have most don't want to go back. Having push button and not proximity open is just a bad move on Jeep and one to suck up more money out of us I assume.
Sponsored