Sponsored

Would you prefer a key ignition?

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
For those without the proximity locks, would you prefer a regular key ignition over the push button start?

I have/had other cars with push button starts, but they also all have/had proximity locks and all that makes sense as the fob just stays in the pocket.
I find the JL set up a pain as even though I have power locks I take the fob out, push the button, then put it back in my pocket.
On the Base I test drove I found the process even more annoying with the key and locks.

Does anyone else find they don't lock the doors with the Jeep all the time vs cars with regular key ignitions because of just wanting to leave the the fob in your pocket?
Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I don't mind the push button start and since I don't have proximity locks it is just natural to use the fob to lock & unlock. Now I purchased mine off the lot and this is the one feature (proximity locks) I wish I did get given the scenario but it is not a daily driver so really is not a bother in the end. I just wish it could be added but that is not likely. Either way I'm happy with my Wrangler as is.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Personally, I don't carry a bag and I hate keeping stuff in my pockets (especially large things like my phone and the Jeep key fob).

So even with my cars with proximity locks, I still remove the key as I walk up to the car. The only benefit for me to have a key ignition is to have somewhere meant to store the key, but the Jeep has that anyways, so I am good with push start.

Sponsored

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No on the keyless start I’m good with the button and I don’t have proximity door locks. Sometimes I wish I had proximity door locks and sometimes I’m glad I don’t.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I use a key fob holster which stays at my hip on my belt. I am not even conscious anymore of pressing the unlock button as I approach the vehicle or pressing the lock button as I walk away from it...so proximity locks would be of no additional value to me. I highly prefer the push button start over a key ignition, because I never have to take the fob out of the holster (unless I want to lock or unlock glove compartment or console). If anything, I would like to have the locks on the glove compartment and console lock/unlock with the fob...even if they activated with the doors would be fine with me. that way, I would never have to handle the key fob in the vehicle.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I initially didn't like the push button, but I won't go back now. I have manual locks and usually don't lock the doors, I just get in and push the button.

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
I specifically didn’t option the proximity entry on my custom JLUR. I do the same for all my cars because of the theft issues that many manufacturers were having with people using a repeater setup to unlock and start your car while you’re in a shop or something. Pretty sophisticated to do, but some thieves are apparently that good. Happened to numerous BMWs, etc.

I wish there was an actual security slot to insert the key into like my older BMW and my Porsche. Requires physical contact with the key to start your car, and then you always take the keys out of your pocket to drive.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
So my wife has a mini cooper that wouldnt start recently and it has a push button start. Trying to diagnose what is wrong without hearing the different sounds you traditionally would hear (for a novice like myself anyways) was frustrating compared to if you have a turn key ignition. When you press that button and and you hear no sounds and get very little response (in my case I tried a jump and even took the battery to be tested and it was fine) from the car, it made me wish we had a turn key.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I specifically didn’t option the proximity entry on my custom JLUR. I do the same for all my cars because of the theft issues that many manufacturers were having with people using a repeater setup to unlock and start your car while you’re in a shop or something. Pretty sophisticated to do, but some thieves are apparently that good. Happened to numerous BMWs, etc.

I wish there was an actual security slot to insert the key into like my older BMW and my Porsche. Requires physical contact with the key to start your car, and then you always take the keys out of your pocket to drive.
That device (code repeater) although seeming to be more prevalent in the UK, is gaining traction in the US too (not long ago read about a new Hellcat being stolen somewhere along the eastern seaboard, likely with that). I keep my FOBs in a faraday cage to keep the signal from being copied whenever I am not comfortable with where I'm at, and I don't keep them near enough to the perimeter of the house so the signal could be copied by someone outside.

At one point some FCA products that had the push-button start allowed one to remove the push button and underneath it was a key slot. The Jeep FOB has the key folded up in it, so would be easy to do this if you wanted...
Sponsored