Sponsored

Winter with Blizzak DMV2 deception

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Hi, i have used Blizzak DMV2 tires in minivans before and they were good tires.
But 1st winter on a Wrangler and wanted winter tires, not all seasons since I live in Quebec. But i am very disappointed with DMV2. Is it because they are bigger and do not perform the same?
255/70/18

What do you use for winter tires (snow, ice, rain, slush)
Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I posted this last year in another thread about different sizes of tires:

My Rubicon was delivered in August, 2018. When I was looking in July and August that year, the standard Rubicon A/T tires were a bit of an size oddity when looking for true Winter Tires. Yes, the BFG KO2 tires have the snowflake and mountain symbol, but they lack the extensive siping of true winter tires. As there aren't a lot of options out there, I've told B. F. Goodrich people at every opportunity that they should make a true Winter Tire--adding lots and lots of sipes for packed snow and ice--to their existing A/T Tire in Wrangler sizes.

In researching what might work in alternate sizes, I found this website that allows one to enter stock tires and rims, then tweak to see the effects on circumference, offset, clearance, etc. I don't know how absolutely accurate it is, but it worked for me:

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

In case you are wondering, I bought 265/70R18 Blizzak LT Winter tires--a new model in 2018--to replace the stock LT285/70R17C BFG KO2 tires during winter. The calculator in the above website showed that the difference in circumference between the stock tires and these winter tires was minimal. The Blizzak LT's were a bit narrower than the stock tires, but everybody says that is better in Winter for traction. I actually found that this very stiff tire seemed to improve handling, as it flexed less on the highway. Bought on rims from champion vendor Tire Rack. Very happy with results.
Hope this helps!

MH

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Hi, i have used Blizzak DMV2 tires in minivans before and they were good tires.
But 1st winter on a Wrangler and wanted winter tires, not all seasons since I live in Quebec. But i am very disappointed with DMV2. Is it because they are bigger and do not perform the same?
255/70/18

What do you use for winter tires (snow, ice, rain, slush)
Why not score some k02’s off of the marketplace? They are great in the snow.

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not score some k02’s off of the marketplace? They are great in the snow.
Hi, for were i live, ko2 are rated 2.5/5 on ice and 3.5/5 on snow. DMV2 are 4.5/5.

Sime my wife takes the Jeep, i prefer having dedicated winter tires.

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted this last year in another thread about different sizes of tires:

My Rubicon was delivered in August, 2018. When I was looking in July and August that year, the standard Rubicon A/T tires were a bit of an size oddity when looking for true Winter Tires. Yes, the BFG KO2 tires have the snowflake and mountain symbol, but they lack the extensive siping of true winter tires. As there aren't a lot of options out there, I've told B. F. Goodrich people at every opportunity that they should make a true Winter Tire--adding lots and lots of sipes for packed snow and ice--to their existing A/T Tire in Wrangler sizes.

In researching what might work in alternate sizes, I found this website that allows one to enter stock tires and rims, then tweak to see the effects on circumference, offset, clearance, etc. I don't know how absolutely accurate it is, but it worked for me:

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

In case you are wondering, I bought 265/70R18 Blizzak LT Winter tires--a new model in 2018--to replace the stock LT285/70R17C BFG KO2 tires during winter. The calculator in the above website showed that the difference in circumference between the stock tires and these winter tires was minimal. The Blizzak LT's were a bit narrower than the stock tires, but everybody says that is better in Winter for traction. I actually found that this very stiff tire seemed to improve handling, as it flexed less on the highway. Bought on rims from champion vendor Tire Rack. Very happy with results.
Hope this helps!

MH
Thanks, but i have exact same tire tire dimensions as OEM.

I am wondering if they exist ask fake DMV2 since i bought them used and do not perform great.
Even on 4x5 high, it took 15 feet to brake yesterday from 25mph in tapped snow!

Sponsored

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Coming from a 215 width car tire size Michelin ice x, the bfg at ko2 are absolutely terrible on packed snow and particularly ice. Not even close to the same.

I’m sure this is both width and true snow tire related, but I cringe every time I see “bfg at ko2 are great in the snow”. Maybe better than other at or mt but definitely nowhere near a true snow tire.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I am wondering if they exist ask fake DMV2 since i bought them used and do not perform great.
You bought them used. How used? Age in general can and will deteriorate rubber compounds. Rubber can dry out from ozone. The treads can be worn below the winter compound layer. A minivan is lighter. The JL is a heavy vehicle with a lot of mass to stop.

Goluchowski

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
You bought them used. How used? Age in general can and will deteriorate rubber compounds. Rubber can dry out from ozone. The treads can be worn below the winter compound layer. A minivan is lighter. The JL is a heavy vehicle with a lot of mass to stop.
There should be a code on the tires that tells the manufacture date.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There should be a code on the tires that tells the manufacture date.
Exactly. A brand new unused tire could have greatly reduce performance if it's been in a warehouse for 4 years.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
The ONLY brand for the snow is ACME. Period. I'm not crazy about their A/T tires but the ACME ROCKET WINTER TIRE got 4.9/5.

snow bound jeep.jpg

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i never bothered with the winter tirse because i dont find them any better then a good set of at tires. my work van which is a ram pro master 2500 (front wheel drive and weight rating 6600#) has snow tires and still havent seen any kind of performance in the snow. granted the roads are poorly plowed and have hills to contend with. plus i'm going back to the office empty. i have a set of nitto terra grappler at tires (stock size) on my past ride and they are awesome in the snow and crap. i'll be running them on my jl and dont expect any issues with them.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Being in 4wd or 2wd or 0wd would make zero difference on braking performance unless you are downshifting and using engine braking. Is that what you meant?

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I use Blizzaks DM-V2 on my LX 570 and on my Tundra and I never had better winter tires. They are great. Maybe, there is something wrong with the size which you use on your Wrangler, maybe a bad pressure or whatever. I use BFG KO2 on my JL Rubicon and of course, in winter conditions, they are much worse comparing to Blizzak DM-V2. Fortunately, I can drive other cars with dedicated winter tires when the road conditions are bad and keep my JL parked in the garage.

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supposed to be 2 years old. They had 10/32 left when i bought them. Will check date code.
Sponsored