Winter with Blizzak DMV2 deception

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Being in 4wd or 2wd or 0wd would make zero difference on braking performance unless you are downshifting and using engine braking. Is that what you meant?
Hi, i meant breaking. I thought being 4wd helped when releasing the brake and take back control.
Sponsored

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I've ran blizzak dmv2's on my 1/2 ton trucks for the past 10 yrs. Got my wifes new Wrangler and saw the winter tire symbol on the ko2's. Couldn't wait for snow to compare them to blizzaks. No comparison at all.
Take the ko2 and try to brake and turn at the same time. You just slide straight. Blizzaks will turn and brake.
Love the blizzaks.

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've ran blizzak dmv2's on my 1/2 ton trucks for the past 10 yrs. Got my wifes new Wrangler and saw the winter tire symbol on the ko2's. Couldn't wait for snow to compare them to blizzaks. No comparison at all.
Take the ko2 and try to brake and turn at the same time. You just slide straight. Blizzaks will turn and brake.
Love the blizzaks.
Hummmm. For me the Blizzak is turn and stay straight! Really don't know why. Really starting to wonder if they are some Chinese version of those tires.

What PSI do you run?

Cbacon

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Hummmm. For me the Blizzak is turn and stay straight! Really don't know why. Really starting to wonder if they are some Chinese version of those tires.

What PSI do you run?
35 psi. Standard for my GMC 1/2 ton

Sponsored

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
What size blizzaks would be best for a 2.5 inch lifted rubicon? I have 315/70/17s by cooper discoverer STT Pros right now.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
It is been years since I have used dedicated winter tires, but my experience was the 1st year was unbelievable how they were. 2nd year wasn't quite as good. By the beginning of the 3rd year they drove the same as regular tires (at best).

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is been years since I have used dedicated winter tires, but my experience was the 1st year was unbelievable how they were. 2nd year wasn't quite as good. By the beginning of the 3rd year they drove the same as regular tires (at best).
Oh, maybe that's what I am experiencing. The seller told me 2 years old. Maybe ozone or air affects the compound of those tires.
Because now you are saying this, in my minivan, when they were new i loved them and on year after i was wondering was it was so slippery...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Generally speaking the higher the performing tire faster the compound wears. This is true for most dedicated ultra-high performance summer tires and winter tires.

What you are describing is normal. Do you put a lot of miles on during the winter. Winter tire compounds are much softer and wear quicker. All winter tires have softer compounds so the rubber stays pliable in freezing temps. Many modern snow tires have layers of different rubber compounds. A softer ice or winter compound when new and a all-season compound as the tries wear down. The rubber compound can also degrade with time even if you do not wear into the harder all-season compound.

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the blizzaks.
I love the K02s also and I get by in the winter but they will not perform nearly as well as most dedicated winter tires. I totally agree Blizzaks are among the best winter tires you can get.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Generally speaking the higher the performing tire faster the compound wears. This is true for most dedicated ultra-high performance summer tires and winter tires.

What you are describing is normal. Do you put a lot of miles on during the winter. Winter tire compounds are much softer and wear quicker. All winter tires have softer compounds so the rubber stays pliable in freezing temps. Many modern snow tires have layers of different rubber compounds. A softer ice or winter compound when new and a all-season compound as the tries wear down. The rubber compound can also degrade with time even if you do not wear into the harder all-season compound.
All true. Also the winter tires wear *much* faster when driven on normal dry roads - so in areas where the snow comes and goes during the season and the vehicle is driven throughout the season they will give up a fair amount of their wear.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Could be a couple things:

Over inflated. What PSI are you running?

Wider tires will float more than a narrow car tire.

The JL is not great in winter conditions. RAM, Subaru, Audi, Grand Cherokee/Cherokee etc all blow it away. Any vehicle with AWD urban adaptive 4wd will perform better.

OP
OP

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The JL is not great in winter conditions. RAM, Subaru, Audi, Grand Cherokee/Cherokee etc all blow it away. Any vehicle with AWD urban adaptive 4wd will perform better.
Hi, I run them at 33psi. If I put recommended at 36psi it is not a confortable ride at all! 33psi seems mnuch better,

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I owned a few Audi and Subaru all-wheel drive cars. The Audis had great all-wheel drive systems for wet and slippery conditions if you had the right tires for the right temps. And if you did not have to worry about clearance. All of my Audis were Sport models with lower ground clearance. Most came with high performance summer tires. They sucked as soon as the temps dropped to about 40 degrees even without snow. All were great in the snow/ice if you used dedicated winter tires. All of them had great steering and braking with dedicated winter tires. Even my 911 4S was exceptional on dedicated winter tires if I did not get hung up from the low ground clearance.

Dedicated winter tires is the equalizer. Even my front wheel drive Mini Cooper S with Blizzaks was better then my '97 TJ on A/Ts in 4X4 in 5" or less of snow and slush. I used dedicated winter tires on that same TJ and it transformed it. The advantage the Wrangler had was the high ground clearance. On many days the higher clearance and the Wrangler's basic 4X4 trumped the sophisticated all-wheel drive systems of the Audi and Subaru.

I have not personally tried a Sahara with the Selec-Trak in wet or winter conditions. I wonder how that compares with a Grand Cherokee / Cherokee?
Sponsored