OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
That's exactly the problem. It will not run in electric now. ICE only. When I first start it, it immediately engages the ICE. At first it would start in electric and only kick on ICE occasionally. Now I get that message about electric mode unavailable.

I have tried and tested many variable (within my control) to see what is the problem but it just does not engage electric.
I'm sure you've done this, but what happens when you start it, ice kicks on, and then you turn off all climate/creature comforts, drive it for 5 minutes and then try to put it in electric only?
Sponsored

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
He is my experience today. Jeep is garage kept and left plugged in while not in use. Outside temperature was 15Ā°F and garage temperature was warm enough not to kick on the heated seats (but still cold) and Jeep was 100% charged.

When I started the Jeep, only electric was used. I put it in electric mode only, and drove to the school to pick up my kids (0.6 ml). I waited there for about 21 minutes and then drove to the library (5.9 ml). Not once did the ICE kick on.

The Jeep set for around 30 minutes in 15Ā°F temperature. When I got back in it and start it up the ICE, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and automatic climate control kicked back on. I then put it in electric mode only, and the ICE turn back off. I drove back home and the ICE only kicked on once the battery level was less than 1% (6.2 ml total, 0.1 ICE).

Total round trip of 12.7 ml (0.1 ICE).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
He is my experience today. Jeep is garage kept and left plugged in while not in use. Outside temperature was 15Ā°F and garage temperature was warm enough not to kick on the heated seats (but still cold) and Jeep was 100% charged.

When I started the Jeep, only electric was used. I put it in electric mode only, and drove to the school to pick up my kids (0.6 ml). I waited there for about 21 minutes and then drove to the library (5.9 ml). Not once did the ICE kick on.

The Jeep set for around 30 minutes in 15Ā°F temperature. When I got back in it and start it up the ICE, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and automatic climate control kicked back on. I then put it in electric mode only, and the ICE turn back off. I drove back home and the ICE only kicked on once the battery level was less than 1% (6.2 ml total, 0.1 ICE).
How long were you "idling" (whatever we are calling it when the vehicle is on but not in drive)? The best thing we can do for our electric mileage is turn off the auto climate stuff, it can suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
How long were you "idling" (whatever we are calling it when the vehicle is on but not in drive)? The best thing we can do for our electric mileage is turn off the auto climate stuff, it can suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.
Yup creature comforts do suck the battery. I leave them on though because itā€™s cold šŸ˜„. I am not complaining at all. This is what I expected. I am just posting up one real world scenario so hopefully it helps others.

In the past, while waiting for my kids (20ish minutes), I wouldā€™ve been sucking gas. Now Iā€™m just using a limited amount of electricity. šŸ˜Š

Sponsored

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Also for more information for others reading this, in the summer I get around 22 to 24 miles per charge.
Same, occasionally a mile or two more. I think the moral of the story is it's a great vehicle year round, but it's a better electric vehicle in the summer. While 100% of your driving may be on battery in the warm months, don't expect it to be a Tesla in the cold months. Most of us likely know that, but as you said this conversation may help someone down the road. At least this way they will have some info should they encounter similar scenarios.

Last edited:

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I canā€™t seem to get mine out of the oil and refresh mode. Temperatures in northern Wisconsin are all over the place right now and sometimes Iā€™m in electric but then it kicks on. Here is the best kicker. Iā€™m driving 34 minutes twice a day right now, so hypothetically should be clearing that code.

whatā€™s odd, is that I can turn the vehicle off and it wonā€™t kick on right away at all. Not sure if itā€™s normal or not at this point thanks to the supplemental information. Iā€™m averaging about 18.5 mpgs on this last two tanks thanks to pure ICE driving, minus maybe 30 miles of electric during that time.

spinxt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
Interesting discussion. Interested in a 4Xe in the next couple years. What exactly is the ICE referred to in many of the posts in this thread?

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Ran into my first ā€˜issueā€™ (non issue). 60% battery left and the Jeep wouldnā€™t let me put it in electric mode. It was4 degrees F outside. Vehicle was fully warmed up from a 3 hour highway drive up in the mountains. Good thing was, no power loss or other ill effects just due to the very cold temps electric only unavailable. I knew it would be cold that day so I purposefully ran esave most my trip so while the Jeep sat outside there would be plenty of power to condition the battery for hours. So ultimately I only say this to say in very cold temps the vehicle appears to block electric only operation even fully warmed up.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Ran into my first ā€˜issueā€™ (non issue). 60% battery left and the Jeep wouldnā€™t let me put it in electric mode. It was4 degrees F outside. Vehicle was fully warmed up from a 3 hour highway drive up in the mountains. Good thing was, no power loss or other ill effects just due to the very cold temps electric only unavailable. I knew it would be cold that day so I purposefully ran esave most my trip so while the Jeep sat outside there would be plenty of power to condition the battery for hours. So ultimately I only say this to say in very cold temps the vehicle appears to block electric only operation even fully warmed up.

4F = -15C

yes it never goes into electric only for me at those temps, -10C(14F) seems to be the coldest it would go electric for me

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
I'm sure you've done this, but what happens when you start it, ice kicks on, and then you turn off all climate/creature comforts, drive it for 5 minutes and then try to put it in electric only?
I have tried almost everything (at least I could think of and what I see here)..

I believe the display shows "electric not available" or something along those lines and the "electric" button light flashed a few times and switches back to hybrid (which lights up).

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
3c in the underground this morning, 4xe started up on the battery, drove outside, dash temp began rapidly changing to reflect the outside temp which the weather app said was -17c.

Started the day with the battery at 85%, did a few kms last night after charging it up.

About 2 minutes outside the dash temp was at -6c, the ICE fired up and never shut down.

Someone mentioned there are a few temp sensors on the 4xe, so the hybrid system my not be depending on the dash temp, dunno.

I had the Hybrid pages on, at times it only displayed the battery was being used.

So it appears the ICE will stay on, probably idling, and the electric engine might so a little work, then the ICE takes over.

I ended the 6km trip with the battery at 70%, the dash temp was displaying -16c, not sure at what point it got to -16c, was busy with the kids and school.

When I shut the Wrangler down, it displayed Plug in to condition battery.

Left it at a heated indoor garage with a free public charger, went back 1 hour later 100%, drove home < 1km all on ICE, forgot to check the temp.

it's bloody frigid out there.