Sponsored

Windshield protection?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I live in Chicago as well. But I just got here last year. May I know why would you say comprehensive is a must when living in Chicago?
I don't know which part of the City you are in but Chicago has very high car theft. Make sure you get full coverage in Chicago. Definitely call your insurance agent and ask questions. I think the only way you can avoid buying comprehensive is to pay cash for your JL. Any bank or loan company will require comprehensive.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Thanks for the tips! I remember my insurance company only has comprehensive instead of glass only coverage. Are you in the U.S.? Which insurance company are you using?
ny and state farm insurance. i have full coverage + full coverage glass.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
There isn’t a protective film out there that protects against cracking - even ballistic/bullet-resistant film.

The best it can do is to keep the glass from shattering into pieces. The glass WILL crack but it is held together by the film. That is how hurricane film and bullet-proofing (-resistant) film does. That is all that is scientifically possible. It boils down to this: glass is relatively rigid. Film is flexible. The glass breaks between the inner and outer layer of film, but there is no penetration.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
We're on our 5th windshield. That doesn't count the numerous "divot" patches. The first windshield doesn't count, because it came trashed from the dealer. The shortest duration between replacement is three weeks! We don't tailgate, but the JL seems to have a bull's eye painted on it. Use to think it was because of the upright profile. But that is bunk. Our 1982 Toyota FJ40 has the original windshield, and darn near vertical. Its in about the same condition as our five month old JL windshield!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I don't get how people are having issues with the glass on these things. By far this has been the most durable windshield on any vehicle I've had in AZ. Wife's BMW went through 7 of them in 2 years. I'm still on the original 10 months later. 95% highway driving in rush hour, in Phoenix. Wife had same commute. I guess not that I really care... I have free glass replacement from Geico anyway.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There isn’t a protective film out there that protects against cracking - even ballistic/bullet-resistant film.

The best it can do is to keep the glass from shattering into pieces. The glass WILL crack but it is held together by the film. That is how hurricane film and bullet-proofing (-resistant) film does. That is all that is scientifically possible. It boils down to this: glass is relatively rigid. Film is flexible. The glass breaks between the inner and outer layer of film, but there is no penetration.
Windshields don't really shatter. The windshield will crack but not shatter like a door window. It is laminated.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We're on our 5th windshield. That doesn't count the numerous "divot" patches. The first windshield doesn't count, because it came trashed from the dealer. The shortest duration between replacement is three weeks! We don't tailgate, but the JL seems to have a bull's eye painted on it. Use to think it was because of the upright profile. But that is bunk. Our 1982 Toyota FJ40 has the original windshield, and darn near vertical. Its in about the same condition as our five month old JL windshield!
I think the JL glass is super fragile. It might have something to do with the Acoustic design. Or the company that makes them just plain sucks. In over 30 cars I have only replaced one other windshield outside of the JL. I owned a TJ and JK, both had windshields that were more upright then the JL. I never replaced a windshield with either in over 12 years combined. I am on number 2 now in 9 months with the JL. I got #2 about 3 weeks after the first replacement.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
New to know that you can buy that from the dealer! I am not sure if my dealer has it. May I know how much did you pay and what are the terms?
Originally they wanted a $1000 and I got them down to $500 and no deductible and up to $5000 in 5 years of either replacements or repairs. So I have already had one window replaced so I have already broke even

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get how people are having issues with the glass on these things. By far this has been the most durable windshield on any vehicle I've had in AZ. Wife's BMW went through 7 of them in 2 years. I'm still on the original 10 months later. 95% highway driving in rush hour, in Phoenix. Wife had same commute. I guess not that I really care... I have free glass replacement from Geico anyway.
Phoenix must have better swept roads than we have down in Tucson, I'm on windshield #3 in under 3 months and that one has a crack repair already. Both replacements were interstates and neither is from the vehicle in front of me, both were vehicles in the next lane over that kicked up rocks to the side and back, exactly where I was. The one i took that I was able to get fixed was from a freaking CR-V at 30 mph, maybe just bad luck.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I must admit, I've wondered if I could devise a sacrificial windshield and protector for my OEM windshield, that comes with wiper blades and attachment to where the OEM wiper blades attach electrically under the hood, that secures to the JL at the cowl bolts and OEM windshield hinge bolts.

I'm not sure it would look too great but the theory is the glass/lucite in this device would be cheap and sacrificial, preserving the OEM glass.

Then again, my 2nd windshield cracked while the rig was in my driveway, solely from outside temperature change!

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I found very limited information regarding windshield protection films. Has anyone applied it on the JL? Would it prevent windshield cracking?
I had the ClearPlex film installed on my Rubicon after two cracked windshields in a two month period of time. The average cost to have the film installed is approximately $450, however if you shop around you may be able to have it done for a lower cost. I paid $200 in Scottsdale. So far it is holding up and no scratches on the film.

Somnium

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon - Sting Gray
Occupation
Systems Administrator - IT
I bought a product on Amazon called Opti-Glass Pro and put it on when I first bought the Jeep. I had a snowplow blast by and peppered the windshield with ice and rocks - no breaks! After a 15 months, there is some slight sand pocking from repeated blows, but no cracks or bullseyes so far... (He says while knocking on a solid chunk of wood.)
Sponsored