Sponsored

Raz65

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Also make sure your re-circ isn't on or that the actuater for outside air isn't stuck closed. Had that issue with my 2012 for 2 seasons before I realized what was wrong.
Sponsored

Biohazardshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've seen lots of comments about a poor defroster, and I"ve only had to use the defroster once so far, but it seemed to work fine for me. Are most people not using the defrost button?? Maybe with some more use, I will find out it doesn't work well too. We will see. When it is on defrost the fan speed seems to be at a setting of 50 out of 10. It is screaming.
Same here. I have had my '18 since new and I have never had a single issue with the windshield defroster. Now the rear window defroster is a POS. Maybe it's a regional issue. I mean it gets plenty cold here in SC but my defroster works great.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Same here. I have had my '18 since new and I have never had a single issue with the windshield defroster. Now the rear window defroster is a POS. Maybe it's a regional issue. I mean it gets plenty cold here in SC but my defroster works great.
It's a problem when you're driving through snowfall for extended periods of time. The snow builds up on your wiper blades because the sides of the windscreen don't get enough heat to melt it off. This isn't a defroster issue, it's a snow and ice buildup issue. I suspect you rarely, if ever, experience snowfall intense enough to see buildup on your wipers in SC.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It is absolutely ludicrous that they cannot even get a defroster to function correctly in Wranglers.

It blows the air like hell in the center of the windshield, and trickles if at all driver and passenger sides. Well documented issue, and still not corrected from the factory. :facepalm:

OP
OP
1JeepDad

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
It is absolutely ludicrous that they cannot even get a defroster to function correctly in Wranglers.

It blows the air like hell in the center of the windshield, and trickles if at all driver and passenger sides. Well documented issue, and still not corrected from the factory. :facepalm:
Try the fix, it worked for me!

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Try the fix, it worked for me!
My point is, there should be no need to fix anything. It is a front defroster for the love of God. They have existed forever and a day, and they still cannot get it correct. It is mind blowing.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip, OP!

Plugs are on the way.

Amazing that multi-billion dollar FCA couldnā€™t figure it out.

Then again, it took them four years to figure out that the steering box was causing the steering to wanders all over the road.

Years ago, I could not get AC to come out on the driver side in my brand new 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I bring the Jeep to the dealer. They take apart the entire dash and find out that the left vent duct...was missing! I guess it was blowing cold air into the speedometer...

Some things never change...

Last edited:

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
i got mine ordered. also this is the first truck i have owned that when it's cold out and you use auto for a cabin temp that it literally blows 100% of the time on the windshield. i got barely anything out from my legs and it will never ever blow out of the dash vents head on. all other trucks i have owned in auto mode blows windshield and feet and when the cabin gets to about temp it will go down to a very low speed and alternate as needed. mine says on super high all the time and it just gets hotter and hotter in the jeep. i started to manually set mine now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I'm fine with them spending their testing budget on the Rubicon a bit more than in Alaska if this is the biggest issue that comes from it.

Life is too short to be bugged deeply by something fixed so easily. Think about this. I'll spend hours and hours installing a lift or some other modification, wind up bruised and bleeding and feeling bad for cursing a few times, but when done, I'm thrilled with the Jeep and think nothing of it. Then along comes a problem that takes 6 bucks and one minute to modify and fix but I'll complain to no end and feel like it is a criminal act and an injustice. That really doesn't make much sense, does it?

And I know, I know, on a $50k Jeep, this SHOULD be right. I get it. But I've spent a total of about $100k on 3 Wranglers, not counting thousands more on mods. They all had the same issue. This one is by far the easiest to fix. I never did fix the other two. It just really hasn't raised my heart rate even 1 beat per minute. Not worth it.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried to remove one of those caps after you put it in? Just curious how big of a pain it might be.

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna try this.. have plugs on order now (although it says they're back ordered until Feb 21)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I'm fine with them spending their testing budget on the Rubicon a bit more than in Alaska if this is the biggest issue that comes from it.

Life is too short to be bugged deeply by something fixed so easily. Think about this. I'll spend hours and hours installing a lift or some other modification, wind up bruised and bleeding and feeling bad for cursing a few times, but when done, I'm thrilled with the Jeep and think nothing of it. Then along comes a problem that takes 6 bucks and one minute to modify and fix but I'll complain to no end and feel like it is a criminal act and an injustice. That really doesn't make much sense, does it?

And I know, I know, on a $50k Jeep, this SHOULD be right. I get it. But I've spent a total of about $100k on 3 Wranglers, not counting thousands more on mods. They all had the same issue. This one is by far the easiest to fix. I never did fix the other two. It just really hasn't raised my heart rate even 1 beat per minute. Not worth it.
Point taken. But in fairness, it is not just the windshield defogger. It is also the weak steering box. The weak track bar. An HVAC system unable to maintain cabin temperature. The crummy auxiliary battery and charging system. A plant worker, who after four years, still hasn't learned to seat those fuses properly. An indifferent dealer body. Etc. Etc.

Owning a Jeep is clearly not for everyone. And I have learned to roll with the punches over the years. But it makes you scratch your head to see the level of incompetence, indifference, or whatever you want to call it, not to address issues that are so well known.

Wrangler directly contributes a big chunk of FCA's global profits. You would think that that alone would be enough to get them off their asses.

Biohazardshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It's a problem when you're driving through snowfall for extended periods of time. The snow builds up on your wiper blades because the sides of the windscreen don't get enough heat to melt it off. This isn't a defroster issue, it's a snow and ice buildup issue. I suspect you rarely, if ever, experience snowfall intense enough to see buildup on your wipers in SC.
You are correct lol. That's why I had no idea that was an issue,

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The defroster performs soo poorly in canadian winters (think -4F and colder) I've ordered the 30 pack in hopes they work. I will gift the left overs if it does to other jeepers in my area... *fingers crossed*
Great idea!

I also ordered the 30 pack, so if anyone in my area is interested, reach out to me and I'll shared what doesn't get used for free.