DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. @Rhinebeck01 that's exactly what I was trying to remember! The last one they installed for me was the exact correct Mopar unit. I'm asking USAA for a new quote with coverage, as well, but I'm SOL on this one. I've replaced one windshield (JK) prior to the two on the JL in my entire 34 years of driving, so it was working out until recently. The JK windshield was indeed from China (not Safelite, though) and I'm still running it. I was broke at the time, so I found an outfit that came out and replaced it for 200 bucks. It has never leaked, so they did a good job. I'm not broke now, so I can afford the right windshield, but damn, if I keep losing these things, I WILL be broke again, soon! Lol!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I got a discount, so it will be $519 bucks, tax included. That's ALOT better than the first one, so the price has come down now that these aren't so scarce anymore.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Considering how prone to cracking the JL's factory windshield is, why should we think that an off-brand one would be any worse, even if it was made in China. Mine cracked on my NV trip and there wasn't any other vehicles around me for at least a half mile, so I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a rock kicked up by another vehicle. I was on I-10 at the time. I had quite a few bug strikes, but I don't think that dragonflies are hard enough to crack a windshield even at 85 mph. I also don't think the bugs fly around carrying rocks, just to get even with SUVs on the highways. My windshield lasted a total of 2050 miles.

I have Geico insurance, but I have to wonder if a person started making claims for windshield replacements every few months if he wouldn't find his rates going up or his policy cancelled.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Considering how prone to cracking the JL's factory windshield is, why should we think that an off-brand one would be any worse, even if it was made in China. Mine cracked on my NV trip and there wasn't any other vehicles around me for at least a half mile, so I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a rock kicked up by another vehicle. I was on I-10 at the time. I had quite a few bug strikes, but I don't think that dragonflies are hard enough to crack a windshield even at 85 mph. I also don't think the bugs fly around carrying rocks, just to get even with SUVs on the highways. My windshield lasted a total of 2050 miles.

I have Geico insurance, but I have to wonder if a person started making claims for windshield replacements every few months if he wouldn't find his rates going up or his policy cancelled.
I'm not sure these are any more prone to cracking than any other windshield. The two rocks that took mine out hit hard. I didn't see or hear the second one, but the impact point was clear as day and looked like a bullet hit it. The first one sounded AND looked like a bullet hit it. Nothing short of Gorilla Glass would have survived either, and I'm not 100% sure even that would have.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure these are any more prone to cracking than any other windshield. The two rocks that took mine out hit hard. I didn't see or hear the second one, but the impact point was clear as day and looked like a bullet hit it. The first one sounded AND looked like a bullet hit it. Nothing short of Gorilla Glass would have survived either, and I'm not 100% sure even that would have.
I just find it a bit irritating that I went 87K miles and 14 years on my Ram 1500 without a single crack in the windshield, but could only go 2050 miles on the JL before one showed up. You would think that since the Ram has a larger windshield, it would have a higher probability of being hit by *something* that would cause it to crack.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just find it a bit irritating that I went 87K miles and 14 years on my Ram 1500 without a single crack in the windshield, but could only go 2050 miles on the JL before one showed up. You would think that since the Ram has a larger windshield, it would have a higher probability of being hit by *something* that would cause it to crack.
Yeah, but the Wrangler's windshield is flat and at a more vertical angle. I chalk it mostly up to bad luck. My JK and JL are the only two vehicles I've owned where I had to replace windshields. My Ford Transit has a massive windshield and it has taken 3 rocks, but again, it is more angled, so they didn't crack it before it was repaired.

If I'm unfortunate enough to break a 3rd, I'll go with Gorilla Glass. Jeep says it will be out in May or June. Of course, they told me October last time, so who knows?

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
... I chalk it mostly up to bad luck. ...
I suggest that "bad luck" is the biggest variable affecting window breakage. And, we have an abundance of bad luck in Arizona ... we love to chip seal our roads ... that arms every vehicle on the highway with mini-projectiles. My Wrangler is chip free so far, but the missus caught one with her new Summit at 11:30 pm on an essentially deserted expressway ... go figure.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
How much? I had a relatively minor rock hit my wind shield this weekend, and it started with a 2" crack...that went to 6"...that is suddenly 36" across my entire windshield. I have no glass coverage on my Jeep (gotta call and try to change that!) so I'll be paying my $500 deductible, and if it's only an extra $150 or so above that there's no point in filing a claim to save $150 and raise my rates.

cstedman

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
My windshield cracked yesterday but not from anything hitting it. Has anyone dealt with FCA or the dealer when it comes to a stress crack? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My windshield cracked yesterday but not from anything hitting it. Has anyone dealt with FCA or the dealer when it comes to a stress crack? Thanks in advance.
Hi Chet,
We recommend reaching out to your dealer. They have the ability to investigate and find the cause of your windshield crack.
Alex
JeepCares

cstedman

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Hi Chet,
We recommend reaching out to your dealer. They have the ability to investigate and find the cause of your windshield crack.
Alex
JeepCares
Just got back from the dealer. They took some pics and feel this will fall under a warranty claim. They told me to check back on the status in a few days if I don't hear from them first. I printed out posts and pics from this thread and another one in case they needed it. This was a very quick visit so I am wondering if this "defrost cracking the windshield issue" is becoming a thing.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Is Jeep going to do anything for JL buyers? Clearly this is a defect in their glass. My windshield broke sitting in the garage after it warmed up I turned on the front defrost and CRACK it had a 3" crack in the middle bottom. This is a complete joke and Jeep should take care of all of us until they figure it out.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
The link specifically says ā€œavailable for 2007-2018 Wranglersā€, otherwise known as JKā€™s only.
Sponsored