Why won’t this suspension setup work?

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Ok, so I’ve been looking at the Synergy 2” lift kit for my JLUR. Based off of the website. There springs are:
Collapsed Extended
6.8”20.75-21.25”

my Fox 2.5 shocks are:
Extended25.500
Compressed15.870
Travel9.670

They say I need the shocks for a 3-4” lift. Mine are for 0-1.5 lift, but based off my reading my shocks are plenty long and won’t have any problems. Granted, I am no suspension expert and know just enough to screw something up. Please explain to me why these won’t work, or agree with me that they will. These numbers are for front springs and shocks.
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@jellis4148; I’m not sure if the shocks you have will work with the lift or not, but if Synergy says they won’t, then they probably won’t. Your shock mounts are farther apart than the spring perches...so you need to look at total axel travel to determine the shock lengths. Also, keep in mind that during articulation, the distance along the axle to where the shocks mount can change the needed length of shock as well. It’s usually best just to stick with manufacturer recommendations...

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so what if I use there lift with shock relocation brackets? Good or bad for wheeling?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
this is just off the top of my head. on paper it looks like you are fine, however, i'm thinking that something is missing. the relocation brackets, i think should work. if you can do some measurements with you jl and measure the travel of your shocks. this should give you a better idea on what you are limited to.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone off roared with relocation brackets? Someone told me they are a bad idea, but I’ve seen a lot of people use them off road.

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@jellis4148; relocation brackets aren’t necessarily a bad thing for off-roading. Several top-tier companies include relocation brackets for one reason or another. This is where it gets kind of confusing...some relocation brackets move the shock out board to allow for better articulation...some brackets move the mount up to allow you to run shorter shocks...these brackets can limit your suspension travel, but it just depends on what you plan to do. If you are planning on doing hardcore rock crawling, you’ll probably want the most flex. However, if you just want to run some mild trails on the weekend...you’ll be alright with brackets that allow you to run shorter shocks. Cheap brackets and incorrect shock lengths are where the issues happen if I had to guess.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan on doing Moab and rubicon trail next year. So I do need the brackets cause the shocks will be short. It sucks because I have the Fox 2.5 DSC and I love them. I’ve had them for quite a while, but don’t want to spend another $2,500 just for shocks. I’ll never get that out of the old ones or even close to what I paid. That’s my dilemma. I don’t have a problem spending the money for a quality bracket. Maybe I’m just stuck with stick suspension and 35s, cause I don’t want to waste perfectly good shocks.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Could always go with Teraflex 1.5" ST1 Suspension and your
Fox 2.5 DSC for 0 to 1.5" lift will work perfectly.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
The ST1 comes with longer bump stops, 35" are no issue at all. 37" with 2" or 1.5" lift will fit and be fine on the road but don't know if you will rub when off road, that probably depends more on wheel back spacing and offset

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I’ve been looking at the Synergy 2” lift kit for my JLUR. Based off of the website. There springs are:
Collapsed Extended
6.8”20.75-21.25”

my Fox 2.5 shocks are:
Extended25.500
Compressed15.870
Travel9.670

They say I need the shocks for a 3-4” lift. Mine are for 0-1.5 lift, but based off my reading my shocks are plenty long and won’t have any problems. Granted, I am no suspension expert and know just enough to screw something up. Please explain to me why these won’t work, or agree with me that they will. These numbers are for front springs and shocks.
Hey John...... you can go with MC relocation bracket. They relocate out for clearance of the frame at full droop, and also relocate up about 1.5”. I’ve owned them so I can tell you they are very well constructed and will not be an issue wheeling of any kind. These brackets and the correct amount of bumpstop, which you can determine by cycling the front axle, should work for you.

I’m running the same shocks but mine are for 4.5-6” lift. The only reason I’m not running the MC brackets is, I’m running a 3.5” spring so I’m already loosing an inch of up travel, as the shock is collapsed an inch to start with. I went with the EVO relocation bracket, they move the shock out but not up. I didn’t want to loose the 1.5” of uptravel and have to run more bump.

Anyway.... just my .02 brother......good luck with your build.
Sponsored

Last edited: