Sponsored

Why so many doors

What was the driving factor in getting the 4 door?

• Total voters

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Overall, I really like the look of the 4 door. Now, with that said, when the 4 door came out I hated the look of it! It was not appealing to me. Then it grew on me and over the years seeing all the add-ons, bigger tires and lifts it made it look WAY better! Now I prefer it. I have a JLUR but I've been admiring the two doors again, mainly in the green color. Something about that color, or the Bikini Pearl. Amazing colors!

To answer your question, we got the Unlimited for the space. Bringing friends along for the ride and/or hauling more gear with the back seats down.

I have a question: I heard an earlier poster say that the 2 door is better for off roading. We've been out to Moab a few times, before we owned our JLUR and I was under the impression that a two door would be better at off roading and rock climbing. But, I was quickly corrected. Most of the hardcore guys were saying No, a 4 door is better, longer wheelbase. I would think a longer wheelbase could be a disadvantage. Having a 2 door which larger tires pretty much makes the entire Jeep tires which I would think would be better when crawling from rock to rock. So, which IS better overall? Shorter wheelbase or longer wheelbase?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So, which IS better overall? Shorter wheelbase or longer wheelbase?
Tough to answer as there are so many different off road situations, some tight trails the 2 dr is easier to maneuver, some require more stability that the 4dr provides. 4dr is more forgiving so if you make a mistake in a 4dr it won't be as amplified as it would be w/ a 2dr (in most cases).

But both models are winning! Although I must admit I've always been a short-wheelbaser :)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Hey I can put this argument to bed. How about person A likes his/her 2 door Jeep and person B likes their 4 door.
Agreed. Both are nice, and everyone has their reason for each. Which technically WAS the topic of the thread. The OP didn't ask which was better, they asked why you picked what you did.

...But both models are winning! ....
I agree with this too. At the end of the day both are great vehicles. Each will have pros and cons over the other, with a lot of similarities shared between the two. I'd be happy with either one, but as far as the topic of the thread, I ordered a 4 door because I couldn't get the Saraha with 2, so I didn't have to weigh pros/cons between 2 and 4 doors.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
A 2 door with the rear seat removed has more space than a four door with the rear seats in place. So if you only ever need 2 seats and aren't putting the rear seats down, a 2 door would have served this need better.
I have a four door ,and my back seats wont see light, until the day I trade it in. Lots of room !!!

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0875(1).JPG

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I have a four door ,and my back seats wont see light, until the day I trade it in. Lots of room !!!

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0875(1).JPG
I was actually surprised to learn that with the seats down it has more room than my Grand Cherokee had.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
4 door vs 2 door, Rubicon vs Sahara vs Sport, Hardtop vs Soft Top, the Wrangler choices, decisions, preferences are vast. I love them all. I went from a Corvette to JL Sport so it seems like a lot more room to me. Especially when folding the rear seat up. I'm just now living a bucket list item that started after a CJ5 summer experience as a teenager in 1974. So far I'm not disappointed. But if this Wrangler love affair continues I can see one day possibly going 4 door.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
After two 4-doors, I got a Gladiator. "Respect the Groundhog."
If they made a 2 door Gladiator I would buy it. I love that J6 concept.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
After almost 5 years with the 4 door for the reasons discussed above, I got a Gladiator, the natural progression. . .
Natural progression…and this baby next! lol. At least it's got 1/2 doors!

JKUS-Jeep-Wrangler-Limo.png

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I want less doors, as in NO doors! OK, I will settle for 1/2 doors on my 2-door…Are you listing JEEP?

J4.G10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon; 2016 C7 Z51
Anything more than 2 doors is a stretched Limo.

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I need the storage space for long trips. Could care less about the seats in the back.
Sponsored