Sponsored

Why Not A Rubicon?

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
While I personally don't mind the red accents, it's my wife's jeep, and she also didn't want a Rubicon because of the red accents.

So we instead spent that upgrade money on the Sky One Touch top instead, and couldn't be happier. While the Rubicon bits might have gotten used a few times in it's lifetime with us, the Sky top gets used almost every day.
Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
If you can afford a Rubicon, there’s no reason not to buy one IMO even if you plan to upgrade some things. The stuff you take off will swiftly be purchased by those who either couldn’t afford to buy the Rubicon or didn’t want one for whatever reason.

When upgrading you can sell your wheels, tires, axles, suspension, etc. to the guys who didn’t buy a Rubicon. You’ve already got front and rear lockers. High fenders. Etc.

I’m not sure that I’ve seen folks posting that they bought a Rubicon and felt they made a bad choice or wasted money after the fact. There are tons of threads on the stuff that Sport or Sahara owners do to add the features of a Rubicon. But some folks actually prefer to spend their time and money building it that way themselves so there’s something to be said for that if that’s your thing.
:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::like::like::like::like::like::like::like::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Pipewench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU & 1947 Willys CJ2A, now eagerly awaiting my 2020 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Well, since my current JK is anvil, I must say that sting-gray is pretty nice. But bikini pearl is what's gotten me into a new Jeep.

Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
GREAT SCOTT!!!!! Are YOU crazy!!! *Gasps* Do you KNOW what kind of production NIGHTMARE that would be??? *woozing* Y'all crazy!!!

Unless I read your post incorrectly haha!
Don’t see it being much worse than all the other customization options

But hey, if we need to reduce the impact it has, maybe in return they discontinue a few of the sixteen or seventeen shades of grey they offer.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The arguments not to buy a Rubicon because it a “waste of money” to buy features you don’t need/won’t use/aren’t practical for X type if driving is silly to me. If I liked a Dodge Challenger I’d buy a Hellcat Redeye. I wouldn’t buy an SXT or a GT or a RT and then build it to perform as well as or better than a Hellcat Redeye. Could I? Sure. Would it cost less money? I don’t know. Maybe? But that’s what I’d want, I can afford it, and who cares if I could have gotten a more practical or even better performer for less. That’s what I’d would want, so that’s what I’d buy.

Everyone’s finances and Jeep goals are unique. If I wanted a bare bones, as cheap as I can find, no luxury or extra off-road features Jeep I’d buy a Sport with zero options. If I felt like upgrading stuff later I could do that. But I’d never tell someone who bought a Rubicon that they did it wrong buy buying it that way from the start or that my way is better.

Now I’ll see myself out to go clean off my tacky red dash panels and lock my front differential on my D44 front axle. :CWL:

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Exactly. At the end of the day, are the things that make the trims unique worth the money? Every buyer will say something different.
Yep. We hear from them from time to time complaining about spending $50k on an FCA Jeep “car” and their “car” has problems. The real problem sits in the driver’s seat and began well before the purchase. :giggle:
Well, there are folks like me that know they are going to run stock (warranty) and 37's and A mopar lift for use on the Dusy, Shaver, and Rubicon trail annually, with zero other upgrades.. put 37's on a Sport and run those trails and home (8 hour drive), not so easy, it will do it, but more likely to damage it and not be covered by warranty. Not bashing, just sharing my rationale, factory lockers, 4to1 are a big deal when your running 37" sticky tires on some of the hardest - most beautiful trails on the earth. I too had to work hard at getting 10% off MSRP, but it can be done, as I am sure you can on a Sport too.. As others have said, its up to you as what is important or not.

There is nothing wrong with a Sport and upgrading, for me the life time warranty, lockers, 4to 1 was super important, as I know how FCA takes exceptions to upgraders, lots of war stories on that point.

Hope that helps,

TC

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The arguments not to buy a Rubicon because it a “waste of money” to buy features you don’t need/won’t use/aren’t practical for X type if driving is silly to me. If I liked a Dodge Challenger I’d buy a Hellcat Redeye. I wouldn’t buy an SXT or a GT or a RT and then build it to perform as well as or better than a Hellcat Redeye. Could I? Sure. Would it cost less money? I don’t know. Maybe? But that’s what I’d want, I can afford it, and who cares if I could have gotten a more practical or even better performer for less. That’s what I’d would want, so that’s what I’d buy.

Everyone’s finances and Jeep goals are unique. If I wanted a bare bones, as cheap as I can find, no luxury or extra off-road features Jeep I’d buy a Sport with zero options. If I felt like upgrading stuff later I could do that. But I’d never tell someone who bought a Rubicon that they did it wrong buy buying it that way from the start or that my way is better.

Now I’ll see myself out to go clean off my tacky red dash panels and lock my front differential on my D44 front axle. :CWL:
Don't forget to look smug while doing that. :like:

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Let's throw a wrench in the mix...and its not red lettering. How much more sense does it make to get a diesel sport vs diesel rubicon. You get the same axles, gear ratios, and brakes as the rubicon at around 10k cheaper. The only thing you aren't getting that would be the 4 to 1 transfer case and lockers. I would add quick disconnect and arb lockers anyways. So really just the tc. Other items will be swapped regardless of trim wheels tires lift etc. So what would be the real advantage to get the diesel rubicon over the sport.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
After having a Rubi for over 5 years lifted on 35's with stock axles and having done the Rubicon Trail among countless other off-roading trips AND never having an issue with the stock axles, or steering components, or powertrain, I guess the stock axles aren't all that bad. And that was a JK. From my understanding, the JL Rubi axles have been improved over those of the JK Rubi.

Oh sure I had to replace a couple of axle seals but after 5 years and plenty of off-roading that was literally the worst of it. And that ain't bad.

So in my opinion, if you are going to completely rebuild the damn thing from the ground up and trailer it to trails and whatnot, then yeah, why spend the extra money on a Rubicon?

If you're not an off-roader, then why spend the extra money on a Rubicon? Why get a Wrangler at all? There are better choices for grocery getters and carting kids to soccer practice.

But if you're an off-roader like me who does about 6 trips annually and also uses it as a daily driver, then (money notwithstanding) why the heck not a Rubicon? It's tough as nails right out of the box and goes all the fun places Subaru's can't. Oh sure I will needlessly spend money on more extreme duty parts I most likely won't need but hey... that's Jeep ownership ;)

And if it makes you feel better, I took off the Rubicon stickers anyhow...

Jeep Wrangler JL Why Not A Rubicon? 20200630_160711
I am of the same opinion as you. I knew the Jeep would be my daily driver, but I would want to do off-roading, but not insane rock crawling. The Rubicon has been perfect for me and the lockers and sway bar disconnect have come in handy on numerous occasions. I joined the forum and tried to learn as much as possible before ordering mine and as such I went to one of the dealers that offer the deep discounts below invoice. With the savings (8% below invoice) I ended up with a very reasonable price with a Jeep with the exact options I wanted and are very hard to find (6-speed manual) on a dealers lot.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Let's throw a wrench in the mix...and its not red lettering. How much more sense does it make to get a diesel sport vs diesel rubicon. You get the same axles, gear ratios, and brakes as the rubicon at around 10k cheaper. The only thing you aren't getting that would be the 4 to 1 transfer case and lockers. I would add quick disconnect and arb lockers anyways. So really just the tc. Other items will be swapped regardless of trim wheels tires lift etc. So what would be the real advantage to get the diesel rubicon over the sport.
A wrench indeed--literally and along with the need for fairly deep pockets. If you have not owned a modern diesel, I would highly recommend that you spend some time to ensure that a diesel fits your use case. Modern diesels are made for the open road and not stop and go city driving or slow rock climbing. The maintenance is more than a gasoline engine and they are expensive when (not if) they break. I would not even consider a diesel, but certainly each person must evaluate that for themselves.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A wrench indeed-literally and along with the need for fairly deep pockets. If you have not owned a modern diesel, I would highly recommend that you spend some time to ensure that a diesel fits your use case. Modern diesels are made for the open road and not stop and go city driving or slow rock climbing. The maintenance is more than a gasoline engine and they are expensive when (not if) they break. I would not even consider a diesel, but certainly each person must evaluate that for themselves.
Agreed. I was raised up from about 6 years old in my father's truck and heavy equipment repair business. Even all the personal vehicles were diesel. I didn't own a gas powered vehicle until my mid 20's.

I wouldn't even look twice at a diesel nowadays. In my opinion, the only benefit left is for someone needing as much fuel range as possible when overlanding.

For those just simply looking at mpg, you'll have to rack up better part of a quarter million miles before the fuel economy would pay back the engines buy in price.

The higher torque figure gets neutered by the taller final drive.

During multiple back to back comparison test drives of the 2.0 and 3.6, the heavier front end feeling of the 3.6 quickly became noticeable. The diesel must feel like there's a small forklift counterweight hanging on the front bumper.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers, I just don't see any appeal outside of range per tank
Sponsored