Why No Chains?

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I live in CA in Tahoe and 99% of the time aired up tires and 4H and the Wrangler eats snow - assuming 3peak or snow tires - MTs not so good in snow. I would never sign that disclaimer Caltrans requires snow tires and 4WD in R2 road conditions and in theory you are supposed to still have chains in your vehicle. I have gone through chain controls on the mountain roads 100s of times and never been asked to show my chains but I have had them check my tires are 3peak or winter tires. I have seen numerous JKs and JLs running chains and cables

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
Bought mine this year in CA and dealer didn't make me sign anything about chains. Picked a set of autosocks for this season. $150 for a pair of AutoSock AL64 for 255/75r17 on my '22 Willys Sport. Figure it's good for chains compliance (CA rules: R1 is M+S tires, R2 is awd/4wd, R3 is all vehicles), and video seems like it'd be easier to put on than chains. I've gotten pretty good at putting on cables over the years on my Mazda so figure this can't be harder.

Reactions: J0E

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
Update on snow socks, they didn't arrive in time for trip, so I grabbed some class S (lower profile) chains from Walmart. I know the manual specifies autosock only on the Willys Sport because of slightly wider tires, but I didn't see any clearance issues on either the front or the back.

The stock KO2's were fine going over thin layer of new powder (roads were plowed in the Sierras). There was chain controls, but we never got to R3 where it was necessary. I was more worried about the weight of the snow on the soft top than traction this past weekend.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why No Chains? 5844AD0B-246A-4455-9966-6CB28DDDFB7E-COLLAGE
Sponsored