Why get a 4XE?

IrishJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 T&C, '17 Grand Cherokee, '21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Technical Writer
Otherwise there is zero advantage. Cost per mile driven is identical to the 2.0L turbo or EcoDiesel. So there's no savings if you have to pay to charge it.

Not true at all. There may be no advantage to you, but there is to many others. While it does take time to recharge, my cost to recharge the battery is FAR less than a gallon of gas. The diesel folks around here are paying $5/gal.
Sponsored

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Good grief- read the manual. FORM is for when you have been running mainly electric and there is risk of the fuel getting stale or the oil not circulating enough -it makes the engine run to burn some gas and heat up the oil. Nothing to do with oil getting into the gas.

Either drive in form, which is awesome, or add 4 gallons of gas to stop the cycle.

Side benefit of the 4XE - much reduced maintenance. I'm at 12K miles and have not done the first oil change due to how much running we do in electric mode.
Wow, you have no idea about any of this, do you? LOL! People have been watching their oil level rise considerably and some have sent samples out and have had an unacceptable amount of fuel in the oil. Read the manual you say? LOL, read the NEWS!

PS>>> Oh and read my post because it's obvious you didn't or maybe didn't understand it.

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Not a big fan of electric vehicles.............Not as eco-friendly as I once thought.

Careless Lithium Mining
Excess Water consumption to produce lithium batteries
Laws governing owner maintenance are lacking
Lithium battery fire hazzard. We still do not have a way to put these fires out quickly and safely.

Check out Morris, IL -too many discarded Lithium batteries are catching fire in warehouses, at sea, and during transportation.

no one that cares about being "eco-friendly", should be driving any kind of motor vehicle.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
No haters please. What are the upsides? The two downsides for me are that the rear seats don't fold as flat as I would like for my dog crate and it will only go 25 miles or less on a charge.
I test drove a non-4xe Wrangler Rubicon and I think one of the upsides (subjective) is that the 4xe rides better than the non-4xe. Anybody disagree?

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I test drove a non-4xe Wrangler Rubicon and I think one of the upsides (subjective) is that the 4xe rides better than the non-4xe. Anybody disagree?
Agreed. The additional weight gives a more planted feel. Better in windy conditions as well.

Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Higher speed does a number especially on flat ground - I averaged 17.5 on a longish trip but was doing 80 the whole way.
What would you say is longish? At first glance, 17.5 doesn't seem that impressive. This past Sunday I drove 120 miles, going 75 in my '21 JT and got 16.5.

Edit: I'd be curious to know what that same trip would be at 75 mph vs 80 in the 4Xe.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
What would you say is longish? At first glance, 17.5 doesn't seem that impressive. This past Sunday I drove 120 miles, going 75 in my '21 JT and got 16.5.

Edit: I'd be curious to know what that same trip would be at 75 mph vs 80 in the 4Xe.
640 miles or so, started with zero charge, and was doing 80 nearly the entire way.
i played with speed this past weekend. 75 mpg gave about 20 mpg average, 80 drops to 17-18 mpg, 65-70 came in around 20-21 mpg. All with a depleted battery

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Wow, you have no idea about any of this, do you? LOL! People have been watching their oil level rise considerably and some have sent samples out and have had an unacceptable amount of fuel in the oil. Read the manual you say? LOL, read the NEWS!

PS>>> Oh and read my post because it's obvious you didn't or maybe didn't understand it.

most likely a handful of people misusing their Wrangler

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
most likely a handful of people misusing their Wrangler
Uhmm, no. It's a major issue affecting a great many people where temps are regularly below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Even when they follow the suggestions in the manual, the temp won't rise and stay high enough, long enough to reset it. It is a design issue or more like design flaw since other manufacturer's PHEVs are not getting locked out of EV mode for weeks like the Wrangler 4XE owners are.

I truly hope they fix these issues because it's a great vehicle.

And there is a thread about it on THIS forum (right HERE) with several people describing exactly what I said is happening.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Not a big fan of electric vehicles.............Not as eco-friendly as I once thought.

Careless Lithium Mining
Excess Water consumption to produce lithium batteries
Laws governing owner maintenance are lacking
Lithium battery fire hazzard. We still do not have a way to put these fires out quickly and safely.

Check out Morris, IL -too many discarded Lithium batteries are catching fire in warehouses, at sea, and during transportation.
It's amusing to me that people are panicking about lithium batteries catching fire when we have for a hundred years been driving around with tanks full of highly flammable liquid in order to fuel engines that produce mechanical energy via small, controlled explosions. Gas-powered cars catch on fire all the time, but we don't hear about it in national news like we do batteries because it's so common.

Anyway. Our current battery chemistry does for sure leave a lot to be desired from an ethical and eco standpoint (mostly around the transition metals rather than lithium), so I agree with that point. But the fire thing? Come on.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
From personal experience when it's below 23 degrees Fahrenheit, the battery basically just evaporates, it really doesn't make much sense running on pure electricity, the 4xe displays FORM, or Electric unavailable etc.

The 4xe tend to keep the ICE on all the time, and then uses both the ICE and battery to power the Wrangler, usually sipping the battery mostly, then short bursts of power if it's demanded. Some people like it when the 4xe behaving like this, I am one such person, it would be nice to have a 4th button to keep it like this at times.

When in FORM, the Hybrid pages will show at times that it is only using the battery, even though the ICE is on.

Again I am not sure why anyone would want to run on pure battery when the range is limited at these temps.

For me, I do not have a charger so I pay for electricity, after 3 months I got a feel for the 4xe, and now I get away with mostly free electricity.

So when it's 0 degrees out and I am only getting 15 miles range, it's a waste of time charging up often and it would also be costly.

The bottom line is this is a PHEV, and not an EV, expecting it to run purely on battery the majority of the time is not possible, that ICE needs to fire up.

I am 2/3 electric and 1/3 ICE mileage, I live in Toronto, so January and February are very cold here, but I still ride my bicycle in -20C on snow cover roads, and drive around with the Sky one touch open in -10C temps in pure silence of the electric motors of the 4xe. At night you can hear the Falken MT biting the snow, it's amazing. I miss the cold and the snow, but now I am getting the 40km range of the 4xe.

Can't wait until next winter.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Plus, if you lease there's a potential that you may not get the tax credit because on paper the Jeep isn't yours.
You know the moment you sign the lease if the tax credit is passed on by the bank or not. There's no questioning if you get it or not. It's literally itemized on your contract paperwork (or not, if you use a bank that doesn't pass it on).

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
It's amusing to me that people are panicking about lithium batteries catching fire when we have for a hundred years been driving around with tanks full of highly flammable liquid in order to fuel engines that produce mechanical energy via small, controlled explosions. Gas-powered cars catch on fire all the time, but we don't hear about it in national news like we do batteries because it's so common.

Anyway. Our current battery chemistry does for sure leave a lot to be desired from an ethical and eco standpoint (mostly around the transition metals rather than lithium), so I agree with that point. But the fire thing? Come on.
OINC

Do the research..............Its not panic. Lithium batteries do NOT extinguish easily. These batteries have been in vehicles for over a decade, and we still do not have a way to put them out quickly.

It takes about 150lbs of Class D Copper extinishing agent to put out 5 lbs of Lithium!

Last edited:

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
640 miles or so, started with zero charge, and was doing 80 nearly the entire way.
i played with speed this past weekend. 75 mpg gave about 20 mpg average, 80 drops to 17-18 mpg, 65-70 came in around 20-21 mpg. All with a depleted battery
if you really want to improve your mileage on the freeway just get behind a truck. It jumps up a lot but you may be buying more windshields. I find that 65 is about where the mileage starts to get bad. I would not put too much faith in what the computer on the Jeep says though. They are always off and most always high.