Who else drafts?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You don't need to get angry. Maybe you're not, and I'm misinterpreting it (often hard to tell via written word). I wasn't trying to act superior, or negative toward your post. The "educational" information wasn't necessarily directed to you, but rather to anyone who may benefit from it on an open forum. Take from it if you will, or ignore it all together. It makes no difference to me. I meant no offense, or insult, and I'm sorry if I came off that way.
My intention was to simply responded to the question you posted. No, I don't "draft". It's not safe, nor the most effective method if you're truly concerned about fuel economy. I assumed you were honestly concerned with efficiency. The only other reason I see to make such a post would be to brag about tailgating, and that doesn't seem likely since you could have been much closer. I still assume you're concerned with saving a little fuel, but obviously not manic about it (otherwise you wouldn't own a modified Wrangler).

To answer the questions from your last post. I have the 3.6L with 34" tires (285/75/17, BFG KM2's), automatic 8 speed transmission, and stock gears (3.45 I believe).
As noted, I understand that my gears will help me achieve better efficiency (one of the reasons I chose a Sahara over a Rubicon), and my 34" tires will be much more efficient than your 37's. I wasn't trying to say that your Jeep is inferior in any way. Honestly, with your setup, I'd say 16.1 average is pretty good. I only mention driving slower, because it's a more effective method (on public roads) than "drafting". Nothing more, nothing less.

To be completely clear, I'm not one of those people who is all about "hypermiling". I drive slow because I find it much less stressful, not because I want to save 3 mpg. I like that by driving 65 I don't have to zig zag through traffic, I don't have to repeatedly speed up and slow down, I don't have to worry about clearing the left lane for the person doing 85-90. I just cruise in the right lane and enjoy the scenery and radio. That's just me, some people enjoy jockeying through traffic. That's fine for them. I'll go slow because I like it, saving fuel is just a bonus.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buster86

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
Thanks for clarifying. Sorry my reaction was a bit harsh. You're right about someone else benefiting from the info you had provided.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
One time on I-25 in Denver I was stopped in traffic and in my mirror I saw a truck coming up very fast. I dipped into the spot between the cars and took off just as I heard the screech of tires then the crash. I was about 5 vehicles up and I had some assholes trying to block me from getting by but also other assholes not letting me back into traffic. Not sure why people feel the need to be assholes.
Let me put it simply. Since you like to curse, I will put it in words you understand. Lane splitters are "Assholes". Period. I have yet to see a lane splitter, who was courteous. They feel entitled, and will kick your car door, mirror, and flip you off, if they feel you didn't get out of their way, fast enough. Everyone should close ranks, and put this nonsense to a halt.

Because if I'm stuck in traffic, why do you feel the need to "do your own thing"? Motorcyclist whine and cry that they deserve the same road, but (in my experience) they are usually the first to break all the rules like lane splitting, weaving in and out of traffic at dangerous speeds, and not obeying speed limits. And yes, I used to ride one, but not anymore. It's just too dangerous with inattentive driver's anymore.
?

Good for you. :please:

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
When you get north of 2 on the RPM clock, you might as well have a hole in your tank. Maybe the only good thing about age is that it made my right foot lighter and my grips last longer.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sometimes when I'm on those mountain passes at night, I crank up the eurobeat music and drift. The extra ground clearance makes it easier to catch gutters so I don't lose as much speed on the hairpin turns.

After reading this thread, I kinda wish they made an SRT wrangler.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Multiple studies have shown lane splitting and filtering significantly increases rider safety. I don't know the type of riders that you're interacting with but in most of the world, and California, the rider is entitled to split/filter. If you impede them you could face reckless driving charges. Should that permit them to punch your door mirror off when you choose to be an asshole and impede them? of course not. But if study after study continues to find that allowing splitting/filter is safer and it reduces traffic congestion, why do you care if they do it or not? Do you really think that traffic is like a line at your elementary school where we all have to go one by one? Seems like you're just mad because you see someone cutting and you want to cry to the teacher.
Study after study, theoretically hells, if those that split lanes do it the way it was intended.
1. No more than 10 mph faster than traffic.
I see them typically go 30-50 mph faster than traffic, in Los Angeles.
2. No splitting lanes if traffic is going over 30 mph.
Lane splitters split lanes when traffic is at 70+, then get pissed at those who dont move over.
3. No splitting at night.
These morons do it at all hours of the day or night.
4. Split lanes in lanes 1 or 2 only.
Riiiiight, they will split any lane, weaving in and around all traffic if they can.

No, I'm not mad at those splitting lanes, responsibly, but at those that think they can do it whenever, and however they like, dangerously. Re-read what I've just posted. Those are the guidelines, and the reasons I gave is why people get pissed off.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for clarifying. Sorry my reaction was a bit harsh. You're right about someone else benefiting from the info you had provided.
No problem, it's all good. :like:

...After reading this thread, I kinda wish they made an SRT wrangler.
I guess you'll have to "settle" for a SRT (or Trackhawk) Grand Cherokee if you want a go fast Jeep.

.... in most of the world, and California, the rider is entitled to split/filter......
Most of the world maybe, but not many places in the United States. Per NHTSA and MSF "....lane splitting is allowed in just a few areas of the United States, notably California...."
It's worth mentioning that NHTSA has acknowledged the potential benefit of lane splitting, specifically as a means to reduce congestion and a "possible" safety benefit. I'm not sure who has done these studies you speak of, but I suspect the majority have been conducted overseas. As for the USA, NHTSA says "We would like to have additional research to provide information about the safety or dangers of lane splitting." and "More research is needed to verify the benefits or hazards of lane splitting."
Basically the official word from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is that more research and information is needed to determine if splitting worth the risk. Specifically they cite the importance of lane positioning to maximize visibility.
I think DaltonGang makes a very valid point that the effectiveness and safety is contingent on the rider splitting within given parameters, such as slow speed, lane restrictions, and time of day/night.
Think of it like turning right on red in a car. If you follow the rules: stop first, check for traffic, and then proceed with caution, it's perfectly safe and legal. However if you make a continuous right turn on red at 20 mph without ever looking for traffic you will eventually be involved in a a crash. Likewise, if a rider adheres to the regulations that have been determined to be safe, splitting would likely be done safe and legal, just like the right turn on red. But when the rider goes too fast, does it on a prohibited roadway, etc, they will eventually be involved in a crash.

Maybe some day it will be more common place in the states, but so far it seems that CA is the only place that allows it.

.... Do you really think that traffic is like a line at your elementary school where we all have to go one by one?...
Um.... Yeah. :facepalm: That's exactly how it's supposed to work.

If anyone in the line can jump past everyone else you have a free for all like third wold countries where traffic just does what they want.
tenor.gif

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Study after study, theoretically hells, if those that split lanes do it the way it was intended.
1. No more than 10 mph faster than traffic.
I see them typically go 30-50 mph faster than traffic, in Los Angeles.
2. No splitting lanes if traffic is going over 30 mph.
Lane splitters split lanes when traffic is at 70+, then get pissed at those who dont move over.
3. No splitting at night.
These morons do it at all hours of the day or night.
4. Split lanes in lanes 1 or 2 only.
Riiiiight, they will split any lane, weaving in and around all traffic if they can.

No, I'm not mad at those splitting lanes, responsibly, but at those that think they can do it whenever, and however they like, dangerously. Re-read what I've just posted. Those are the guidelines, and the reasons I gave is why people get pissed off.
The nice thing about motorcyclists acting like morons is that they are usually the only ones who die.

They just don’t have enough mass and energy to kill the rest of us.

I’m no Darwinist, but he did make some good points...

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I suppose after the interest this thread has garnered I should explain myself more. When I “drafted” the semi trucks on my trip...it was done far enough back to keep a safe following distance for the reasons described by others. I could still see their mirrors and left myself plenty of room to safely react to what happened in front of me. I completely agree that being too close to the vehicle in front of you is stupid and dangerous. However, following a larger vehicle at a safe distance can improve mileage...key word there is SAFE. Also I agree with a previous post about slowing down...I generally set my cruise for the speed limit or slower. When cruise is set on 65, my mileage instantly starts increasing. Driving below 70 is the best way to increase your MPG.
Why draft a semi when you can attach a recovery strap and nap?

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
If you're far enough back that the retread is coming toward your windshield you're not drafting properly. That thing should be going for your bumper, or grill at the most. Same with rocks. Draft close enough and your windshield will be fine. Your grill and headlights might get torn up, but your windshield will be fine.
LMAO

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
If you're far enough back that the retread is coming toward your windshield you're not drafting properly. That thing should be going for your bumper, or grill at the most. Same with rocks. Draft close enough and your windshield will be fine. Your grill and headlights might get torn up, but your windshield will be fine.
If 70lbs of retread is coming at my windshield....I LOWER IT! Only in a Jeep.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I learned this time last year on a 3,000 mile roadtrip across various 65mph and 75mph interstates is cruise control set @ 67mph = 21-22mpg all day. Cruise control set @77mph and I'm dropping down to 17-18mpg.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
One thing I learned this time last year on a 3,000 mile roadtrip across various 65mph and 75mph interstates is cruise control set @ 67mph = 21-22mpg all day. Cruise control set @77mph and I'm dropping down to 17-18mpg.
4 or 6?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
6 and 2.5" lift and 315/70/17 tires. Auto tran.

The Jeep felt much happier at 65 than 75mph although I will say my JK would barely go that fast without my wandering all over the road and getting 12mpg so it's still a massive improvement.
Sponsored