Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose after the interest this thread has garnered I should explain myself more. When I “drafted” the semi trucks on my trip...it was done far enough back to keep a safe following distance for the reasons described by others. I could still see their mirrors and left myself plenty of room to safely react to what happened in front of me. I completely agree that being too close to the vehicle in front of you is stupid and dangerous. However, following a larger vehicle at a safe distance can improve mileage...key word there is SAFE. Also I agree with a previous post about slowing down...I generally set my cruise for the speed limit or slower. When cruise is set on 65, my mileage instantly starts increasing. Driving below 70 is the best way to increase your MPG.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
You’re good, man. We’re good. All good.

We just doin’ what we do. Playin’

All in fun, at least from my end.

Carry on!

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
The "stay at least XXX feet back" rule can be unrealistic on crowded summer Friday evening and Sunday afternoon highways. You're going to be following too close behind SOMEone, so your choice is a lower vehicle you can see over or a tall vehicle you can draft behind. I personally choose visibility, but drafting can also be a reasonable choice in that situation.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The "stay at least XXX feet back" rule can be unrealistic on crowded summer Friday evening and Sunday afternoon highways. You're going to be following too close behind SOMEone, so your choice is a lower vehicle you can see over or a tall vehicle you can draft behind. I personally choose visibility, but drafting can also be a reasonable choice in that situation.
The "rule" is usually a measurement of time, not distance, which accounts for varying speed.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I understand your point, but I think visibility is the only intelligent choice in the situation you describe.

I’m seldom in fast, congested traffic. It’s the only time I drive faster than I want to, because not going at the flowing speed is simply a hazard to me and others.

I WILL NOT stay close behind a big truck, though. I need to see what’s going on up ahead.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose after the interest this thread has garnered I should explain myself more. When I “drafted” the semi trucks on my trip...it was done far enough back to keep a safe following distance for the reasons described by others. I could still see their mirrors and left myself plenty of room to safely react to what happened in front of me. I completely agree that being too close to the vehicle in front of you is stupid and dangerous. However, following a larger vehicle at a safe distance can improve mileage...key word there is SAFE. Also I agree with a previous post about slowing down...I generally set my cruise for the speed limit or slower. When cruise is set on 65, my mileage instantly starts increasing. Driving below 70 is the best way to increase your MPG.
OMG man you CAVED!!! Don't succumb to peer pressure so easily! Tell them you love livin on the edge and that you draft close enough to know what they had for dinner the night before!!! :facepalm:

disappointment.jpg

Donncada

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep JLURD, '94 Jeep YJ, '89 Jeep XJ (RIP)
Clubs

Most of the ones I see kick a car next to them for failing to see a motorcycle splitting stopped traffic at about 40 MPH... :devil:
As a rider I've seen my fair share of yahoo's trying to prove something. Personally, I only spit a stopped queue at jogging speed. If traffic is moving in the HOV I make sure they indicate they know I am there (Not by means of cracking throttle and scaring them.) before passing 1-2MPH faster than them and give a "thank you" when they give me room. We all share the same road; as driver and rider I keep the perspective of the other in mind.

On the topic of drafting--my mom used to get on the CB and ask the trucker if it was alright.

Whatever your vehicle of choice--be safe.
JD

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@TJ2018; ok, ok...I’m sorry...how’s this: I like to play a game to see how close I can get...I like being able to read the parts number on the axel!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Wait...does that mean I have in to peer pressure TWICE!?!?

DAMNIT!!!

I guess my parents were right...I AM a disappointment...:(
upload_2019-6-26_18-23-14.gif

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
:CWL: :LOL: Travis, that was just too funny. :like:

That and lane-splitting by motorcycles. Definitive proof of reverse Darwinism... survival of the most idiotic! :headbang:
Just another example of CA being weird. Lane splitting is illegal here in Ohio, because it's dangerous. Not just for the rider, but for other traffic as well. As a rider myself, I'd never even consider splitting cars, no matter how slow they're going.

The "stay at least XXX feet back" rule can be unrealistic on crowded summer Friday evening and Sunday afternoon highways. You're going to be following too close behind SOMEone, ....
I've heard this more than once. Y'all need to get the heck out of those cities. I couldn't do it on a daily basis, and it drives me nuts when I have to do it on rare occasions. I actually picked an oncologist that's about 30 minutes further from me to avoid going into a city for the closer one. I don't know how you handle major city traffic. Small city traffic is annoying enough. I'll take my 2 lane, where a traffic jam is a row of cars/trucks backed up behind a tractor, or a few backed up waiting to pass a buggy.

The "rule" is usually a measurement of time, not distance, which accounts for varying speed.
Yes, the "rule" is 2 seconds. As speed increases, the distance increases if that 2 seconds is maintained. A guideline for distance is 1 car length per 10 mph, which works out to roughly a 1.5 - 2 second gap regardless of speed because the gap increases with the speed increase.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a rider I've seen my fair share of yahoo's trying to prove something. Personally, I only spit a stopped queue at jogging speed. If traffic is moving in the HOV I make sure they indicate they know I am there (Not by means of cracking throttle and scaring them.) before passing 1-2MPH faster than them and give a "thank you" when they give me room. We all share the same road; as driver and rider I keep the perspective of the other in mind.
I always try to scooch over to allow some extra room and often get a wave in return. There are many who pass with care and within a reasonable delta speed (I greatly appreciate those). But there are t hose like you mentioned that crack the throttle and get immediately hostile if someone doesn't see them or move over. It takes all kinds I guess. Ironically in a previous vehicle I got ran into by a girl on a bike when another rider got on the freeway and cut across lanes to split traffic and ran into the girl who was already splitting traffic, pushing her into my car (yes... this was pre-jeep!). Thankfully everyone was ok other than some property damage.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@TJ2018; ok, ok...I’m sorry...how’s this: I like to play a game to see how close I can get...I like being able to read the parts number on the axel!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Wait...does that mean I have in to peer pressure TWICE!?!?

DAMNIT!!!

I guess my parents were right...I AM a disappointment...:(
upload_2019-6-26_18-23-14-gif.gif
Better! Much better! :CWL::LOL::CWL::LOL::CWL: