Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i absolutely love this thread.
2006 i bought a brand new cobalt. had ordered one of the sc ones but the insurance was ridiculous when it came in. bummed me out but i wound up with a regular cobalt w a 5 speed. Moved to northern Va in the fall of 06. 2009 my son was born, and my dad passed so inherited his Harley. I rode that to work a lot and on days off. but i kept the cobalt. it developed a few issues, but, they got fixed. 2015 i was able to finally buy a modern muscle car, and got an 05 GTO. the cobalt was used for back n forth to work. the GTO was a play toy/travel toy when i didnt have the wife and kid. the bike was a nice day off toy. fast forward to 2018 i was able to order a new Wrangler. wife decided to bounce, so used the GTO as trade in, got my Jeep and still have the cobalt and bike. Cobalt has 261k on it, original clutch (it chatters like hell when cold) , engine has never been apart. has had a few issues all resolved. My driver seat is completely wore out LOL but i love it. its not saying much but at least its faster then the Jeep and i can pass people LOL. oh and 30mpg vs 18 on a 90 mile round trip commute, its a no brainer.
Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Just got a 2021 Compass Altitude in February to be my 'beater'. I had decided that the Wrangler is best used in the summer with no top at all, I just leave the Mopar parking cover on it in my car port and drive it when it's nice out. In the winter I use the hard top and drive it in severe weather, and for summer road trips I install the soft top.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
i absolutely love this thread.
2006 i bought a brand new cobalt. had ordered one of the sc ones but the insurance was ridiculous when it came in. bummed me out but i wound up with a regular cobalt w a 5 speed. Moved to northern Va in the fall of 06. 2009 my son was born, and my dad passed so inherited his Harley. I rode that to work a lot and on days off. but i kept the cobalt. it developed a few issues, but, they got fixed. 2015 i was able to finally buy a modern muscle car, and got an 05 GTO. the cobalt was used for back n forth to work. the GTO was a play toy/travel toy when i didnt have the wife and kid. the bike was a nice day off toy. fast forward to 2018 i was able to order a new Wrangler. wife decided to bounce, so used the GTO as trade in, got my Jeep and still have the cobalt and bike. Cobalt has 261k on it, original clutch (it chatters like hell when cold) , engine has never been apart. has had a few issues all resolved. My driver seat is completely wore out LOL but i love it. its not saying much but at least its faster then the Jeep and i can pass people LOL. oh and 30mpg vs 18 on a 90 mile round trip commute, its a no brainer.

Great story! I remember being 19 and BADLY wanting a civic... until I discovered the insurance payment per month would be the same as the car note. Couldn't afford that.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your dad and the wife leaving, that absolutely sucks.

Keep that beater cobalt until the wheels fall off!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
MY 2018 JLU Sport S is my beater.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
We buy new but keep our vehicles as long as we can. I figure for every car I don't buy in my lifetime, I get closer to early retirement!

We currently have:
  • 2019 Jeep 2-dr
  • 2007 Honda Civic (purchased in 2006)
  • 2002 Honda Odyssey (purchased in 2001)
The minivan is mostly used for trips to Home Depot and moving the kids back and forth from college.

We also owned a 1987 Acura Integra which we kept for 20 years.

Beater cars are great. No worries about door dings and cheap to insure.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Does my 2006 Rubi LJ count? Had it almost 13 yrs :)

121.jpg
At that age I'd say it counts! Not counting those posting new or almost new vehicles and calling them beaters.

They aren't suffering when they step out of their nice JL and into their 2019 'beater' lol

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My 2018 Tesla Model 3 is my daily “beater”. I love driving that thing as much as the Jeep....for different reasons. Faster than a V8 Camaro, incredibly cheap to fuel, and four door functionality. It sucks at rock crawling however....

InTooJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '07 Trailblazer
Gotta love JL owners and their disconnect from the real world lol.
My beater is a 2003 Dodge neon complete with rust and bald tires and a 2007 Trailblazer equipped with constant on check engine light, no matter how many parts you throw at it. Both with over 170k miles, which in big three miles - is beyond clapped out and dead 😆. Those are beaters folks!
Sponsored