First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
Who else drafts for that fuel mileage? I just put on the automatic cruise and roll on! 3.5" lift on 37's View attachment 195499
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m still getting used to the new 5.13s on my 6 speed with 37s and Iā€™ve found on the highway I get better mpg when I set the cruise. At 65 I keep a steady 18 mpg. On the backroads I can get 19-20 but I drive like a grandpa. Lol if I want to run 70 it drops to about 15.5. This is the first vehicle Iā€™ve had that I canā€™t beat the cruise control for mpg. But before the regear I got better mpg without it.

OP
OP
Buster86

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
19-21 at 75 mph

20190622_061200.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buster86

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
Title has been corrected. Sorry for that. I didnt pay attention to what my phone had put.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I try not to tempt fate and/or piss off the 18-wheelers. But drafting does work even as far back as 100ā€™ (with limited effectiveness).

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Draft, with that windshield? No thank you. This is one of the major reasons people keep needing new windshields. Drafting at 70 means almost any small rock is gonna crack vertical glass like an eggshell.

I'm getting 19-20 in my JLUR (stock wheels/tires/ride height) at 75-80mph. That's good enough for me. The benefit of marginally better fuel economy doesn't offset the hassle of new glass.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
At a different financial point in my life I would hypermile even with my inexpensive 40 mpg car. Fast forward and trying to eek out an extra 1 mpg on a brick with wheels isn't a consideration. I'm thrilled it gets 20 mpg or better. My boss purchased a Tundra when I got my Wrangler, he's lucky to see 11 mpg.

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I took about a 1000 mile round trip across Texas earlier this year and on the way out I didnā€™t draft anybody...just set the cruise at 70 and rolled on. My average went from 20 mpg when I left to 21 mpg when I arrived at my destination. I left on the return trip with my average starting at 19.5 mpg. I drafted semis (at a safe distance) that were going anywhere between 75-80 and my average was up to 23.7 and still rising when I made it home. Granted, the average elevation on the return trip was decreasing. But the average elevation change between the start and finish of my trip equates to a .11% slope. (2,714 ft of elevation over 472 miles).

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Drafting is for race cars on race tracks. Following that closely to someone on public roads is dangerous, and the effectiveness is marginal. Not worth the risk.
Not to be a kill joy, but....
At 70 mph you cover 102.62 feet every second. If you're less than 100' from the back of another vehicle while trying to save 1 mpg and they straddle a piece of debris, you've got less than second to react. I'll round it and give you the full second to react though. Unfortunately studies have shown that the average perception reaction time (PRT) while driving is 1.5 seconds, which means you'll hit the object before you even have time to attempt to avoid it. Don't confuse PRT with simple reaction time. PRT takes into account that while driving you have other tasks requiring your attention. You need to see the threat, perceive it as a threat, and then take action. This typically takes 1.5 seconds though some people are a little faster/slower (1.2 - 1.8).

So with the boring numbers out of the way. If you're truly concerned about fuel efficiency the easiest way to achieve it is by slowing down. To be clear, I drive slow just because I'm not in a hurry not for efficiency. I rarely drive the interstate but I recently wen to MI. As I typically do, I set my cruise at 65, stayed in the right lane and let all the speeders zig and zag and get stressed out. I just turn on some tunes and enjoy the ride without having to brake, accelerate, and weave all the time. At 65 mph I'm only 5 under the limit, and by staying in the right lane everyone can easily pass me.
The unexpected result of going slightly slower, and not having to constantly adjust my speed was 26.7 mpg. No that's not a typo, yes it got over 25 mpg even with a 2" lift. No drafting, no games manipulating the "current' mpg counter. Here's a photo of my trip screen. After 168.5 miles, and a bit under 3 hours, I averaged 26.7 mpg. That was actually roughly the half way point when I stopped at Cabela's, but the second half had the same result. If you're actually concerned about saving a few mpg, reducing your speed 5-10 mph will save you more fuel than tailgating.... oops I mean "drafting".

mpg road trip.jpg

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Drafting is for race cars on race tracks. Following that closely to someone on public roads is dangerous, and the effectiveness is marginal. Not worth the risk.
Not to be a kill joy, but....
At 70 mph you cover 102.62 feet every second. If you're less than 100' from the back of another vehicle while trying to save 1 mpg and they straddle a piece of debris, you've got less than second to react. I'll round it and give you the full second to react though. Unfortunately studies have shown that the average perception reaction time (PRT) while driving is 1.5 seconds, which means you'll hit the object before you even have time to attempt to avoid it. Don't confuse PRT with simple reaction time. PRT takes into account that while driving you have other tasks requiring your attention. You need to see the threat, perceive it as a threat, and then take action. This typically takes 1.5 seconds though some people are a little faster/slower (1.2 - 1.8).

So with the boring numbers out of the way. If you're truly concerned about fuel efficiency the easiest way to achieve it is by slowing down. To be clear, I drive slow just because I'm not in a hurry not for efficiency. I rarely drive the interstate but I recently wen to MI. As I typically do, I set my cruise at 65, stayed in the right lane and let all the speeders zig and zag and get stressed out. I just turn on some tunes and enjoy the ride without having to brake, accelerate, and weave all the time. At 65 mph I'm only 5 under the limit, and by staying in the right lane everyone can easily pass me.
The unexpected result of going slightly slower, and not having to constantly adjust my speed was 26.7 mpg. No that's not a typo, yes it got over 25 mpg even with a 2" lift. No drafting, no games manipulating the "current' mpg counter. Here's a photo of my trip screen. After 168.5 miles, and a bit under 3 hours, I averaged 26.7 mpg. That was actually roughly the half way point when I stopped at Cabela's, but the second half had the same result. If you're actually concerned about saving a few mpg, reducing your speed 5-10 mph will save you more fuel than tailgating.... oops I mean "drafting".

mpg road trip.jpg
Yep I had a friend that thought it was cool and fun to draft semis so she could get better gas mileage. Until one day, the semi in front of her nailed a dog. Guess where the dog went? In many yucky bloody pieces all over her car. She said she also wrecked because she :puke:! Now, she gives any vehicle in front of her lots of space:giggle: NOW that would make a great Farmers Insurance commercial:like:

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Yep I had a friend that thought it was cool and fun to draft semis so she could get better gas mileage. Until one day, the semi in front of her nailed a dog. Guess where the dog went? In many yucky bloody pieces all over her car. She said she also wrecked because she :puke:! Now, she gives any vehicle in front of her lots of space:giggle: NOW that would make a great Farmers Insurance commercial:like:
Farmer's "The Dog Grinder"

And we covered it.

Somehow I do not think that would play well. ;)
Sponsored