First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon jl
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
New to the Jeep family. I have a 2018 2 door jeep rubicon jl. Buying a destroyer shorty front bumper and wondering which winch hydro or electric would be best thank you.
Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on what your needs are. I think at least 9000 lbs is a good start. From there, you have so many different options and price ranges. You can get a decent winch with steel cable for around $300 or you can get something higher quality with synthetic cable and more bells/whistles for $600-$700 range. Again, it is what fits your needs best (and your budget).

OP
OP
GPJeep

GPJeep

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon jl
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
I think it depends on what your needs are. I think at least 9000 lbs is a good start. From there, you have so many different options and price ranges. You can get a decent winch with steel cable for around $300 or you can get something higher quality with synthetic cable and more bells/whistles for $600-$700 range. Again, it is what fits your needs best (and your budget).
Thank you

Sponsored

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Happy with my new Warn VR10S so far.

z.jpg

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
The Warn VR series are great winches for the price. Zeon is super nice as well, obviously.
We would get a VR with synthetic rope over a Zeon with steel cable if you are price shopping :like:

A Zeon S does look pretty beefy in most aftermarket bumpers... Here it is in our Stubby Mauler
IMG_7335.jpg

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You should read some of the Four Wheeler winch testing they've been doing over the last several years. They torture test winches from all the brands. The Warns usually suck. They remind me of Toyota trucks....great brand recognition, high prices, and nothing to back it up.

There are lots of great winches to choose from, many of which are much much less expensive than a Warn.

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
You should read some of the Four Wheeler winch testing they've been doing over the last several years. They torture test winches from all the brands. The Warns usually suck. They remind me of Toyota trucks....great brand recognition, high prices, and nothing to back it up.

There are lots of great winches to choose from, many of which are much much less expensive than a Warn.

I can't help but notice that you bring an unusual amount of negativity with ALL of your posts. I'm guessing that you only post on things that
you don't like(which appears to be everything) and post nothing about what you condone.

Back on topic...I had a Warn RC9500 that was really tough. It's only drawback was that the line was a bit shorter, but that thing was fast!

Sponsored

TheLion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Comeup winch seal gen2 9,500rsi is the route I went. I'm no winch expert, did a bit of research and went with the recommendation of the shop that did my work. Haven't had to use it yet, much to my surprise, so no hands on really.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for Warn VR based on looks, the Warn name, the price point, tons of positive reviews, and I had one on my last Jeep.

I am in the old-school steel cable group due to low maintenance, longevity, and of course, the better price point.

230777F2-22C3-4FE6-85DC-82E81C429071.jpeg

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I run the good old Warn workhorse. The M8000S. One of the best they ever made. Plenty big enough for a 4 door and damn fast. There’s a reason they’re still making them.

5841B0FB-B413-41E5-8BCE-3C638193DDF9.jpeg

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
I run the good old Warn workhorse. The M8000S. One of the best they ever made. Plenty big enough for a 4 door and damn fast. There’s a reason they’re still making them.

5841B0FB-B413-41E5-8BCE-3C638193DDF9.jpeg
How is that one with water? Is it waterproof?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
How is that one with water? Is it waterproof?
No sir.

Some are better than others but none are really “waterproof”. The Zeon is probably the closest to being waterproof but still not. I have gone through deep water crossings and hard storms with never a problem. I also use a really good dielectric grease on all bolts,connections and the seams of the winch. It’s also covered. But I just like overkill because these winches are tough and need little service. Just keep the rope covered.
Sponsored