Sponsored

Which engine for Colorado passes?

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Hello. New member here.

I'm going to buy a Wrangler that I'll use in Colorado some. I've searched and can't find any engine recommendation for engine at high altitude. Can anyone provide some insight?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6L and drove through most of the passes on I-70 with zero issues. I also spent some time on mountain trails above 9,000 feet with no problems. The ECM will adjust the system to compensate for the altitude.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'm going to buy a Wrangler that I'll use in Colorado some. I've searched and can't find any engine recommendation for engine at high altitude. Can anyone provide some insight?
I've driven several passes right at 12,000' and on our last trip we drove over trial ridge road. The 3.6L engine performed well without any obvious problems at those altitudes. Having said that, a turbocharged engine will generally maintain its power better at high altitudes, the 3.6L has to lose some power, it just wasn't that noticeable to me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the 3.5 V6 and have had zero issues at elevation. Modern electronic fuel injection greatly reduces differences in performance due to elevation by constantly monitoring and adjusting air/fuel mix.

Having said that, traditionally turbo motors are known to perform better at elevation because the turbo compensates for the thinner air. From that standpoint, both the 2.0 and 3.0 diesel are turbocharged.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hello. New member here.

At 10,000 ft a normally aspirated engine will have lost about 31% of power output. You will notice this if you have any sense of the vehicle dynamics you are driving.

A factory turbo charged or positive displacement supercharged engine will keep close to factory power levels at altitude in most cases.

The one without a hard and fast rule is aftermarket forced induction. If properly designed it can and should be like the factory case and maintain power. The reality is many of these are not tested over a wide altitude range and therefore this should not be assumed. For example if a compressor is running close to maxed out at sea-level and you now take it to 10,000 and it has to work much harder you will be in a bad situation. Very few aftermarket vendors test this fully so buyer beware. A couple good ones are Banks, Edlebrock - but likely a few others.

The other option is if you have so much power that being down 31% at those altitudes is still "way more than you need" it probably doesn't matter. The 392 Hemi JL will likely fit into this as 450Hp * 70% = 315Hp so still more than any other JL engine choice, even at those altitudes. But again, you will notice this.

Have fun.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
3.6L here. Zero issues on the passes on I-70. Zero issues up around 12,000 feet too.
all that said, I am not towing, I have rubicon stock tires, and I have not exceeded the 800 pound load capacity.

OP
OP

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I think I'll go with the 2.0 turbo. It'll save a bit of money and will likely perform just as well.

Small rental SUV's really struggle over some of the paved passes. I just didn't want something that has to run close to redline to get over the passes at a descent speed.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I’ve had both and prefer the 2.0L turbo. Rubicon on the 35’s and 2.5” lift and can pass anyone climbing 70 with ease. I’ve taken the 2.0 all over Colorado this past spring and summer and she’s been a champ. Every pass in Ouray and Telluride, trails in the Springs, Front Range, and multiple 14er 4wd trailheads. The 2.0 is awesome at altitude!

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Love my 2.0 turbo- fantastic up here in Colorado, both daily driving and up in the hills!

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I think the 2.0 would be a great choice if you plan on spending time at elevation. We spent a fair amount of pavement and trail time in CO last year with the 3.6. Definitely feel the loss of power when you are shifting gears yourself (6 spd manual).

However, based on reports by others it seems like the 8 speed auto does a really good job of working in the background to keep power available. Don't think you could necessarily go wrong with either option in that case, but I'd bet the 2.0 handles it a bit better.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I also have the 3.5 V6
Somehow you got cheated out of 100CC.

I think the 2.0 would be a great choice if you plan on spending time at elevation. We spent a fair amount of pavement and trail time in CO last year with the 3.6. Definitely feel the loss of power when you are shifting gears yourself (6 spd manual).

However, based on reports by others it seems like the 8 speed auto does a really good job of working in the background to keep power available. Don't think you could necessarily go wrong with either option in that case, but I'd bet the 2.0 handles it a bit better.
I think if the OP doesn't live in Colorado he shouldn't make the decision between the 2 engines based on occasional visits. The 3.6L is not a liability, has plenty of power for highway driving on any roads in this country. There are other pros and cons between the 2 engines, that would even apply for daily driving.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
after having both , turbo engine does so much better at altitude. you wont have a "problem" with the other one but turbo is definitely more efficient.

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Hello. New member here.

Any of them will do just fine in the mountains. Don't overthink this one and get the other options you want.

OP
OP

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
I think if the OP doesn't live in Colorado he shouldn't make the decision between the 2 engines based on occasional visits. The 3.6L is not a liability, has plenty of power for highway driving on any roads in this country. There are other pros and cons between the 2 engines, that would even apply for daily driving.
Hopefully the visits will be more than "occasional" in the near future! Eventually we'll just leave the Wrangler in Colorado.
Sponsored