Where's the oil filter?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Filling the filter "isn't necessary" , but I do it anyway. Really, I just fill it and let it soak in the media and install it. If the filter media is pre-wetted, the time it takes to push oil through it is lowered by millisecond or two. Maybe more! LOL. I feel better doing it. But I never fill it to the top.
Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Does anyone know the size and thread pitch of the drain plug?

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, both the filter and drain plug are easily accessible. Probably don’t even have to jack up the front end unless needed to fully drain the oil pan.
That’s interesting. I just watched a video on 6 cylinder JL and the filter was inside the engine compartment. Nice that these two pieces are right together on the 2.0.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
That’s interesting. I just watched a video on 6 cylinder JL and the filter was inside the engine compartment. Nice that these two pieces are right together on the 2.0.
Having a top mount engine filter is a thousand times nicer. It's one of the things I really don't like about the 2.0. Oil changes are such a mess with a bottom mount. Top mount, you can just stick a vacuum pump down the dipstick tube and drain from up top, then pop on a new filter. Zero mess and a 3 minute change. Filter on bottom means oil pans, drips, and all the extra fun that goes along with that.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Gravity and time have always been a better method than a quick vacuum pump from up top. The oil drains very quickly from this engine and changing oil has never been a perfectly "clean" process in any vehicle. But if you are unable to crawl underneath your Jeep for whatever reason, I can understand.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
i drive up on ramps and roll under on a creeper. Everything is easy to get to. Make sure your oil pan is back a bit as the oil comes out strong and shoots out about a foot from the plug. The filter is full too and will run down your arm since its at an angle.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Gravity and time have always been a better method than a quick vacuum pump from up top. The oil drains very quickly from this engine and changing oil has never been a perfectly "clean" process in any vehicle. But if you are unable to crawl underneath your Jeep for whatever reason, I can understand.
A vacuum pump takes about 15 seconds to insert and go. Then you walk away and finish cooking your steak and come back to a drained vehicle. Top mount filter is another 30 seconds and done.

Honestly, I don't mind draining from an oil plug, but I sure as heck hate the mess from a bottom mount filter. There's just no good way to go about pulling one off, especially at an angle, without getting oil everywhere. I end up with a metal pan and an elevated drain box and still always manage to find oil splashed around. I've got a lift and it doesn't really solve that problem, it's just a messy operation from below. Oh well, back to gloves, goggles, and a plastic sheeting or a metal pan for me!

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed this to help with those messy oil changes.
20190225_080651.jpg

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Installed this to help with those messy oil changes.
20190225_080651.jpg
How do you like the Fumoto drain valve so far? Have you noticed any leak drips at all? Do you have any concerns of it being opened when off-road?

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like the Fumoto drain valve so far? Have you noticed any leak drips at all? Do you have any concerns of it being opened when off-road?
I had one on my 3.6l and i love them. No leaks, no drips. I don't have any worries about it getting opened accidentally or being ripped off, although anything could happen but if this thing gets hit i'll have more to worry about than my drain valve. When it comes time to change oil i just hook up my hose to the end of the valve, open it up, and boom no mess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Yes this is the Oil Drain Plug! Be careful when unscrewing, oil flow is quite strong.

Same with the filter.
Yea, i have a 3.6, but that angled drain plug gets me every time. I have a large oil drain pan and I have one of those thin metal catch pans that's about 2'x4' that I put under the pan and somehow I still get oil on the garage floor, every time.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Is this a real post? Do you people even look at your jeeps or just a screen?
I'll admit the first time I looked under the Jeep I was scratching my head. The oil pan looked a little bit like the bottom of a transmission. I had to go online to make sure. But I did find a couple of videos which verified the location for me.
I really wish I could get a hard-copy factory service manual. I like hard copy better since my computer is in the house and those software based manuals are really expensive for what they are.
Sponsored