Sponsored

Where is everyone getting their DEF from?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I like the jug. I refill the jug with used oil then drop it at an auto parts store to be recycled.
Sponsored

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I use truck stop pumps. I hate having a little leftover in a box. Plus it’s usually cheaper without the packaging. Last stop was $2.779/gal filled up with 4.753 gallons for a total price of $13.30.
I do the same thing on cross country trips.

seoden88

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Diesel
Occupation
Engineer
Menards has DEF if you have one near you, its like 11.00 for 2.5 gallon

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
EDIT
BZZT; WRONG.
see post #36.

that 'buzz' you hear from under the hood for ~3 mins after you shut your EcoDiesel off is the DEF being pumped back out of the lines so that it does *not* freeze in the line.
once it's running, the heated lines should keep it clear enough.

...The DEF system in the jeep has a heater so it'll melt but it could freeze in the line while you're filling up if its below freezing...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
that 'buzz' you hear from under the hood for ~3 mins after you shut your EcoDiesel off is the DEF being pumped back out of the lines so that it does *not* freeze in the line.
once it's running, the heated lines should keep it clear enough.
Some thought it was the DEF system purging and some thought it was an after-run coolant pump for the turbo, but it’s actually the damn CP4 system.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-buzzing-after-the-vehicle-is-shut-off.71139/

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
very interesting; thanks!
if that's the case, that's just one more thing they don't know about these things at the dealerships,... <sigh>
Yup. The DEF tank is in the rear and there’s no way that pump noise is heard under the hood. I thought the after-run pump was a “good” reason for the noise, but there’s no pump. Surprised that the CP4 needs “cooling”.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
<sorry to derail the thread!>

i didn't see anything about "cooling"; must have missed it.
where did you get that?
May have misspoke there, just guessing why the hell would they run the CP4 lift pump for 3 minutes. Chevy ran the CP4 without a lift pump and tons of them burned up. Maybe FCA runs the lift pump to cool the CP4 to help prevent problems. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
<warning; off-thread here.>

i've read theories that the CP4 needed more fuel supplied than it could suck up on its own. i've also read theories that if the CP4 sucked up any air that could be a cause for why it would eat itself. those, and the failures experienced in CP4s that didn't have a lift pump are all allegedly reasons why we now have a lift pump.
from what i've read, i'm suspicious that the issue is the result of a combination of a stupid design that really was only meant to work in a best-case scenario and the lack of lubricity in the ULSD fuel we get here. complicating things is the way the failure mode of the pump contaminates the entire fuel system requiring *everything* to be replaced. (i know there are catastrophe avoidance kits for CP4s in other applications, but they don't prevent the problem, and i'm not aware of one for our JL/JTs yet.)

i haven't read anything yet about heat in the pump; with all the fuel that flows through these, i'd be surprised if that was an issue.
but that bulletin isn't extremely informative, and it's not entirely clear to me why they run the pump after shutdown.
hopefully we'll find out some day!

May have misspoke there, just guessing why the hell would they run the CP4 lift pump for 3 minutes. Chevy ran the CP4 without a lift pump and tons of them burned up. Maybe FCA runs the lift pump to cool the CP4 to help prevent problems. 🤷🏼‍♂️

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
Be aware DEF has a shelf life. Buy from a source with a steady turn on inventory.

personallyi buy from truck stop pumps. Easier, safer and less expensive than dealing with boxes or jugs.

ifyou must buy boxes, I’d use a popular source with high volume such as Walmart or a big box auto parts store.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Be aware DEF has a shelf life. Buy from a source with a steady turn on inventory.

personallyi buy from truck stop pumps. Easier, safer and less expensive than dealing with boxes or jugs.

ifyou must buy boxes, I’d use a popular source with high volume such as Walmart or a big box auto parts store.
The shelf life also has temperature recommendations. Most of the truck stops in my area far exceed the high end of those temperatures. I do go with what I feel is the most premium def on the market today Blue Def Platinum, from my local climate controlled Box Store. $19.99 2.5 gal. Not as inexpensive as the truck stop but I know nothing of the manufacturer of the product in the pump, or the temperatures that it has been exposed to. And yes everything needs to be shipped from manufacturer to the Box Store so there are temperature considerations there. But there's no way around that.