Sponsored

Where is everyone getting their DEF from?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
2020 JLU, 4160 miles, I got a notice on my dash that engine will not restart and 470 miles unless DEF is refilled. Just wondering where everyone is getting their’s. Thanks
Sponsored

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
Haven't needed it yet but when I do, I'll probably hit up Walmart

raz-rubicon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Walmart is the cheapest. And I have never had an issue with outdated stock. I was having it delivered, but, that is not an option anymore. I've used it in my VW and truck for years. Never an issue.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Never had problem with brick and mortar automotive store. Just check date to make sure its not old. 3.0 GC did over 100k without much trouble.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys XR V6 eTorque
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
For my first refill, I used Mopar's 2.5 gallon when I was at quarter tank. And brought it up to 3/4th tank.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I get mine from the pump, there is a gas station nearby that has pumps for semi's that has a DEF pump as well, i fill up using the truck pump and then fill up my DEF tank as well. I've been adding DEF about every 4 months or so.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Got some from auto zone across from my work. $17. Thanks for the help. Never owned a diesel vehicle before

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I get mine from the pump, there is a gas station nearby that has pumps for semi's that has a DEF pump as well, i fill up using the truck pump and then fill up my DEF tank as well. I've been adding DEF about every 4 months or so.
Is there an auto shut off like for fuel when you fill the def tank? I am still waiting for my Diesel to arrive. Also, I suspect that filling at the pump is substantially cheaper than buying the DEF retail? Any down sides to filling at the pump? The only thing I heard is that if it gets too cold outside it could be a problem at the pump. Does this sound right?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
DEF does go bad over time so if you do keep a bottle on hand for emergencies use it and replace it.

Also the advice of filling it at the truck stop is a good one as that gets cycled often so likely it's fresh.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
I agree I have a business so I use my Energy Petroleum station for my new wrangler diesel and use the pump, but any pump works. Ive used loves for my rams as well its cycled regularly.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Is there an auto shut off like for fuel when you fill the def tank? I am still waiting for my Diesel to arrive. Also, I suspect that filling at the pump is substantially cheaper than buying the DEF retail? Any down sides to filling at the pump? The only thing I heard is that if it gets too cold outside it could be a problem at the pump. Does this sound right?
There is an auto shutoff so you don't have to worry about overfilling. Since DEF is mostly water it freezes at 32 degrees so thats something you'll have to watch out for when you go to fill up. The DEF system in the jeep has a heater so it'll melt but it could freeze in the line while you're filling up if its below freezing. I think the pump is cheaper but i mostly do it for the convenience, you just pump it like anything else and don't have to worry about a funnel or overfilling it from a box, i also think it gets more use since trucks have to use it too.

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRUD, 2005 Porsche Boxster, 2011 BMW 335i
Occupation
Traveller of both time and space
I have been getting it from Home Depot, it only cost $12 for Peak Blue DEF

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
There is an auto shutoff so you don't have to worry about overfilling. Since DEF is mostly water it freezes at 32 degrees so thats something you'll have to watch out for when you go to fill up. The DEF system in the jeep has a heater so it'll melt but it could freeze in the line while you're filling up if its below freezing. I think the pump is cheaper but i mostly do it for the convenience, you just pump it like anything else and don't have to worry about a funnel or overfilling it from a box, i also think it gets more use since trucks have to use it too.
DEF actually freezes at 12F.