Where is the engine block heater cord?

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I just took delivery of my ecodiesel and didn't order the optional cord but was under the impression that I could just buy my own. Does anyone know where it is at? Just a quick look around the engine bay and I didn't see anything obvious.
Sponsored

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel (built : waiting on delivery)
Occupation
Digital Product Experience Designer
I just took delivery of my ecodiesel and didn't order the optional cord but was under the impression that I could just buy my own. Does anyone know where it is at? Just a quick look around the engine bay and I didn't see anything obvious.
You got the optional engine block heater and it doesn't come with the cord? The cord is optional? I ask because I haven't taken delivery yet, but I ordered the $95 engine block heater upgrade and assumed the cord was included.

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
A block heater is in every engine... the $95 pays for the cord... I would start by looking at the block around where the freeze plugs would be for a covered connector

Bravo

OP
OP
bryan8379

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
You got the optional engine block heater and it doesn't come with the cord? The cord is optional? I ask because I haven't taken delivery yet, but I ordered the $95 engine block heater upgrade and assumed the cord was included.
I didn't get the $95 option but from what I've heard is that all of the ecodiesel engine have the heater. The $95 option is just the AC cord/plug. So even if you didn't get the option you still have the heater itself you just have to supply your own cord. I'm just wondering where to plug in with something like this
Check this out at Amazon.com
Kat's 28500 18/3 Gauge, 5' Straight in Replacement Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I8VLF2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_lGJFEb5XQ6D4J

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I didn't get the $95 option but from what I've heard is that all of the ecodiesel engine have the heater. The $95 option is just the AC cord/plug. So even if you didn't get the option you still have the heater itself you just have to supply your own cord. I'm just wondering where to plug in with something like this
Kat's 28500 18/3 Gauge, 5' Straight in Replacement Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I8VLF2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_lGJFEb5XQ6D4J
I have moved my cord around a couple times when wiring my BD lights but haven’t followed it back to the block. I’ll try to remember to poke around the other end of it later.

Sponsored

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel (built : waiting on delivery)
Occupation
Digital Product Experience Designer
A block heater is in every engine... the $95 pays for the cord... I would start by looking at the block around where the freeze plugs would be for a covered connector

Bravo
upload_2020-3-27_14-24-22.gif

OP
OP
bryan8379

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I have moved my cord around a couple times when wiring my BD lights but haven’t followed it back to the block. I’ll try to remember to poke around the other end of it later.
Thanks

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so they run this braided line from the passenger side of the block up along a ring that fixes it along the dipstick, then clips to the body next to the fuse box. This picture is taken through the slot in the fender liner just behind the passenger side shock tube. Shows where the plug meets the block. I didn’t get underneath to see how small of hands one would need to attach an aftermarket cable.

8BF7A143-9505-46D9-B4A2-C6996F2E3C3B.jpeg

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I installed the engine block heater cord on the Gen2 engine of my Grand Cherokee. It is hard to reach but possible. There is an orange cover over the heater plug. On the Gen2 it was on the passenger side of the engine. I don't remember how I accessed it, but I may have reached it by removing the tire and fender liner. Below is a diagram for the Gen2 engine. I have no idea if it is the same on the Gen3. I ran the cord up to an area near the firewall next to the positive battery terminals and bundled it up in a small cavity there.

68186526AB_CRD_engine_heater_cord_routing_01m.jpg

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
About the cord. The one on Amazon looks right for the Gen2, I don't know about the Gen3. I ordered mine from Gen's Garage. To install the cord you will need to remove the orange plug cover on the engine.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the engine block heater cord on the Gen2 engine of my Grand Cherokee. It is hard to reach but possible. There is an orange cover over the heater plug. On the Gen2 it was on the passenger side of the engine. I don't remember how I accessed it, but I may have reached it by removing the tire and fender liner. Below is a diagram for the Gen2 engine. I have no idea if it is the same on the Gen3. I ran the cord up to an area near the firewall next to the positive battery terminals and bundled it up in a small cavity there.

68186526AB_CRD_engine_heater_cord_routing_01m.jpg
After tracing mine down on the gen3 3.0, it looks exactly the same as this diagram. Definitely did not look like a treat to get a hand in there to plug it in lol. Probably needs some of my favorite redneck engineering.

TPJULR3.0D

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC AT4 Diesel
My cord is located on the right side in a empty near the headlight

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
My cord is located on the right side in a empty near the headlight
Can you take some pictures for us? Pictures of the cord, where it plugs into and maybe some of how it's routed in the engine compartment.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you take some pictures for us? Pictures of the cord, where it plugs into and maybe some of how it's routed in the engine compartment.
The 3D diagram posted above is about as good as you can get for routing because it blends in next to or behind a pile other components looking at it in real life.

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon
Bastards, charging $95 for a $16 cord...
Sponsored