Sponsored

Why is the 2 door not getting the diesel?

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Management at Jeep mentioned the Hemi was too close to the frame rails which compromised crash protection. Might have stated at 2019 Easter Jeep Safari.
Correct. Meaning they made a consious decision at some point in the JL design process to adjust the design to give room for the ecodiesel but specifically chose not to design it for a hemi.

If you recall the reason they said they wouldn't put the ecodiesel in the jk was because it simply wouldn't fit. Sound familiar? They made a conscious decision to fix that but ignore the V8.

IE someone in the board room mentioned the number of companies offering a V8 swap, as well as the people asking for one for 20+ years and said maybe we should make the JL a hemi from the factory designing it to support such before we get too far along.

The rest of the heads in the room shot it down. Guaranteed.

If they can make hell cat, demons, Durango srts and Cherokee srts. Cafe standards simply aren't the issue. It's apathy and laziness in designing the JL to accommodate a V8.

Aka fun suckers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
If they can make hell cat, demons, Durango srts and Cherokee srts. Cafe standards simply aren't the issue. It's apathy and laziness in designing the JL to accommodate a V8.

Aka fun suckers.
The actual take-rate of V8s in performance vehicles like that is significantly higher than you’d ever see in the wrangler given the multitude of other engines offered in the wrangler to meet market demand. Mix that with the cost of individually crash testing another drivetrain, the hit to CAFE, and the aftermarket supply, you’ve got a recipe for an idea that’s dead in the boardroom. It’s surprising enough that they finally caved to demand for the diesel, but then the diesel will have the best fuel economy of any JLU drivetrain so they actually get a CAFE bump from it.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
FCA are fun suckers, geez I wish an American company would buy Jeep back. :captain:
Italians are stupid :bandit:

And before I get crushed for that statement Scuderia Ferrari is my team.
And YES, they have cucked up this year too.

OP
OP
RogueRubicon

RogueRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black JLR, 2018 Granite JLR (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
So we have an official response from Jeep:

https://www.trucks.com/2019/10/01/2020-jeep-wrangler-high-mpg-diesel-engine/

"The EcoDiesel model will use an 18.3-gallon fuel tank alongside a diesel exhaust fluid tank. Diesel vehicles use the fluid for the selective catalytic reduction emissions-reducing system.

A gas-powered four-door Wrangler has a 21.5-gallon tank. But the tank in the two-door model holds only 17.5 gallons. A Jeep spokesperson told Trucks.com that adding the diesel engine and DEF tank to the two-door model would have required a fuel tank that was too small for customer needs."

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Because FCA is a "Fun Sucker"
Nothing could be further from the truth IMO. Thank God they exist because FCA is the only company putting out fun!

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Nothing could be further from the truth IMO. Thank God they exist because FCA is the only company putting out fun!
I beg to differ and counter with BMW and Porsche :beer:
Just wish Jeep was owned by a better company which wouldn't take much :bandit:

DSCF1031.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
the two-door model would have required a fuel tank that was too small for customer needs."
Well the fuel tank in my 2019 JL V6 is too small for my needs, so WTF???

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
A gas-powered four-door Wrangler has a 21.5-gallon tank.
Wait, so the gas powered 4dr wrangler has a smaller tank than the out going JK (had 22.5 gallon)? I wonder what the rational was there. I also find it interesting that the 3.6 pentastar went from 6 qts of oil to 5 qts. I would prefer to have as much oil as possible just to give it a longer life.

Sponsored

DazC

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 2008
All of the reports i’ve read only show Unlimited/Gladiator models being tested with the diesel, and i’ve seen some reports that FCA has confirmed no diesel for the 2 door. As a two door owner/enthusiast, I feel we’re getting shafted for no good reason. Is it really that difficult to offer an additional engine choice for the 2dr??
Because it would be too awesome.

Seriously, why can't I get a 2-door diesel manual with the EDM Rubicon transfer case?
Hi

You can, I have one, the only downside is, Jeep make them for the UK so its a right hand drive.
I have a 2 door (gas) jeep in the US and 2.5 Turbo diesel manual in the UK (I travel frequently) moves like a rocket and excellent on mileage.
It hasn't been specially made its just a run of the mill 2.5 Turbo diesel manual 2 door Wrangler, Jeep make.
They have been making them for years, I've had this one around 9 years. I just don't understand why they don't make them for the US market.

DazC

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 2008
And with the diesel, hypothetically you can go further with less fuel.

WE WANT A 2 DOOR DIESEL

Hi

You can, I have one, the only downside is, Jeep make them for the UK so its a right hand drive.
I have a 2 door (gas) jeep in the US and 2.5 Turbo diesel manual in the UK (I travel frequently) moves like a rocket and excellent on mileage.
It hasn't been specially made its just a run of the mill 2.5 Turbo diesel manual 2 door Wrangler, Jeep make.
They have been making them for years, I've had this one around 9 years. I just don't understand why they don't make them for the US market.

jeep2.jpg