Sponsored

Why is the 2 door not getting the diesel?

RogueRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black JLR, 2018 Granite JLR (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
All of the reports i’ve read only show Unlimited/Gladiator models being tested with the diesel, and i’ve seen some reports that FCA has confirmed no diesel for the 2 door. As a two door owner/enthusiast, I feel we’re getting shafted for no good reason. Is it really that difficult to offer an additional engine choice for the 2dr??
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
All of the reports i’ve read only show Unlimited/Gladiator models being tested with the diesel, and i’ve seen some reports that FCA has confirmed no diesel for the 2 door. As a two door owner/enthusiast, I feel we’re getting shafted for no good reason. Is it really that difficult to offer an additional engine choice for the 2dr??
Because it would be too awesome.

Seriously, why can't I get a 2-door diesel manual with the EDM Rubicon transfer case?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Because it would be too awesome.

Seriously, why can't I get a 2-door diesel manual with the EDM Rubicon transfer case?
Thank CARB and the EPA, as well as people who vote for their brand of nonsense. From what I understand, fitting the various exhaust management hardware (ie DEF tank, DPF etc) under the 2-door wasn’t possible. You could do an engine swap without all of that equipment and it would work just fine, but that’s probably $15k more than it should have cost you. As for the manual, that’s FCA’s fault. They have no manual in their fleet that will fit this application and withstand 480 ft-lbs of torque without extensive added R&D...there isn’t a large enough manual market for them to justify the expense. I guess the silver lining is that the ZF 8AT is arguably the best on the market.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I assumed weight distribution, as Diesels are heavier and the extra length in the back of the 4dr would offset the nose heaviness

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Truth is probably fitment issues with all the add in crap epa requires.

Conspiracy theorist in me says it's just another way for them to force people to the 4 door then complain less people are buying the two door so they can quit making it.

Sponsored

logix727

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
There really is no reason they can easily do it there's spy shots of 2 door mules it's a shame they WONT do 2 door manual when they totally can. Car mfg have a great way of being able to make what people want but not doing it it's a shame no one has direct contact with some people higher up on fca

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The 8 speed behind the Diesel is longer and will not work in the short wheel base 2 door

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Statement AND truth

One needs look no further than the fact they totally ignored the hemi demand when designing the JL.
Management at Jeep mentioned the Hemi was too close to the frame rails which compromised crash protection. Might have stated at 2019 Easter Jeep Safari.
Sponsored