Sponsored

Where Art Thou Quality Control?

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler JKU Sahara
I just took delivery on my new, 2018 JLU Sahara! Upon closer inspection at home, I noticed the area behind the lower, right front door hinge appears "depressed" or "pushed in" for lack of better words! It's subtle but noticeable. It doesn't appear damaged but it's not flat or even. The reflections, or "swirls," in the paint around the hinge illustrate that the surface isn't flat or even. The other door hinges are comparatively much better. It's always something!

2018 JLU Sahara Right Front Door.jpg

Right Front Door Hinge-1.jpg

Right Front Door Hinge-2.jpg
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
That’s curious. It’s almost like the metal was sized a hair too big and it got stamped that way. Mine looks normal, so this is actually a thing that you have different than normal.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The wavy doors seem to be a standard feature of the JL. Your passenger door does seem excessive.

I do wonder if this is due to the upper and lower hinges and door latch being out of alignment.

It would be interesting to see if the door skins straighten when they are removed from the vehicle and no longer under load.

Does it look any better if you simply open the door?

Measure the distance of the lower half hinge bolted to the body. Compare the distance it extends from the body on both sides. Maybe the lower hinge is sticking out too far. Maybe the top and lower hinges are not on the same plane. The lower hinge might be slightly angled and need adjustment.

Last edited:

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It’s normal. It’s due to the doors now being aluminum and Light weight. All the doors are wavy due to this. You won’t mind so much when trying to pull them off and love how easy and light they are.

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not nearly as noticeable on a white one :cwl:

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Jk’s Had this problem too. With the doors closed, loosten the hinge bolts just enough to relieve the tension in the door skin and re tighten.

Scoobyduto

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Rebel, 2018 JL Sport S
I thought I was the only one noticing wavey doors on almost every JL I see in pictures lol.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
At first I thought it was due to aluminum door skins but was informed by another member the skins are still steel but the internal components are aluminum.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
At first I thought it was due to aluminum door skins but was informed by another member the skins are still steel but the internal components are aluminum.
The skins are aluminum. Magnets won’t stick. Tried it.

OP
OP

NextStep9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler JKU Sahara
The wavy doors seem to be a standard feature of the JL. Your passenger door does seem excessive.

I do wonder if this is due to the upper and lower hinges and door latch being out of alignment.

It would be interesting to see if the door skins straighten when they are removed from the vehicle and no longer under load.

Does it look any better if you simply open the door?

Measure the distance of the lower half hinge bolted to the body. Compare the distance it extends from the body on both sides. Maybe the lower hinge is sticking out too far. Maybe the top and lower hinges are not on the same plane. The lower hinge might be slightly angled and need adjustment.
Jk’s Had this problem too. With the doors closed, loosten the hinge bolts just enough to relieve the tension in the door skin and re tighten.
I thought I was the only one noticing wavey doors on almost every JL I see in pictures lol.

Thanks for your responses! I was informed today by a senior Jeep mechanic who inspected the hinge that loosening the two hinge bolts will cause the hinge to move slightly and, as a result, alleviate the tension and eliminate the problem I've described and illustrated in my photographs. However, the mechanic pointed out that once the hinge moves from the current position to a new position on the door, albeit a very minor distance of approximately 1/16" to an 1/8," the primer will then be exposed around the hinge and it will be necessary to repaint that area. He also pointed out that the two hinge bolts will need to be repainted as well because they will chip as they are loosened and retightened. He advised against the entire process. In his words, "It's just not worth it." He also said that the problem is most noticeable on the Granite Crystal metallic color and difficult to see on non-metallic colors. There was an Ocean Blue JLU on the lot and this problem around the the lower right front hinge was equally noticeable, possibly worse than my vehicle. Interestingly, he said that this problem is common to that particular hinge, the lower right front hinge.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What part of the hinge is adjustable?

door side (exterior bolts on door skin) and the body side (inside door jamb)?

Are the hinges adjustable in both areas or just inside the door jamb?
Sponsored