Sponsored

When do you consider a Jeep to be "built"?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my JLUR as a retirement gift to myself. I had about 6 grand in stuff waiting in the garage before I even ordered the JLUR. The 37 were mounted on beadlocks five or six months before the Jeep was ordered. Retirement does not need to be off the table.

When I think of build, I think of the average Joe dreaming about how cool his or her jeep is as they wrench on it in the garage. Like they say in drag racing. Speed = cubic dollars. The more money you have the faster you go. Jeeping is the same way. You want an awesome built Jeep like say the Step Child, It just take dollars, 40, to 50 grand for a Hemi upgrade, Hey you want big axles, throw another 15 to 20 grand at it, Hey want a bad ass suspension, Throw another 10 or so grand at it. Built...bought it is all money. Even if you possess the skills to weld, fabricate, and design, 90% of your stuff will still be bought before you do your thing. Why because of money. I live in a town that has Auto manufacturing plants and a shit load of supplies to GM. I have friends that are engineers, can fabricate and have the tools to do so in their shop. So I ask, hey how much would you charge to make this front bumper that I would like. He looks at me like I am stupid and said you cn buy that for under five hundred dollars, for me to buy the steel, and welding supplies plus my time, then get it powder coated. you would be well over a thousand.

So I did what just about everyone does, hey Roam, hey LOD, hey Smittybilt, send me a bumper...... I built my JLUR up with the help of Giants like Jeep, Roam Off Road, ACE Engineering, and Rancho. Tell me I am wrong and it will fall on deaf ears as you waste your breath forming words. LOL.
I agree with you on most of it... however when we were kids, it wasn’t that literal, we didn’t mean we manufactured the Jeep. We were more hands on, bought our axles, engines, bumpers, etc..... from bone yards, or had it made or made it and installed it. Where we lived it was more, us poor kids against the silver spooners that would buy the most expensive Jeep, take it to a 4x4 shop and have it built. That’s more what I’m talking about....... but hey, everybody views the world differently, that’s what makes it great. How freakin boring would it be if everyone agreed with everyone......:)
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I agree with you on most of it... however when we were kids, it wasn’t that literal, we didn’t mean we manufactured the Jeep. We were more hands on, bought our axles, engines, bumpers, etc..... from bone yards, or had it made or made it and installed it. Where we lived it was more, us poor kids against the silver spooners that would buy the most expensive Jeep, take it to a 4x4 shop and have it built. That’s more what I’m talking about....... but hey, everybody views the world differently, that’s what makes it great. How freakin boring would it be if everyone agreed with everyone......:)
I understand that as kids. We had more time then money back then as kids. Now time is more valuable than money. I think back when I was in my twenties, me and my wife built our house. I hired two guys to help block up the basement, and two guys to help me hang the drywall. My wife and I did the rest. I would never do that at my age. Hell, I almost hired out getting the gutters cleaned last fall. LOL

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that as kids. We had more time then money back then as kids. Now time is more valuable than money. I think back when I was in my twenties, me and my wife built our house. I hired two guys to help block up the basement, and two guys to help me hang the drywall. My wife and I did the rest. I would never do that at my age. Hell, I almost hired out getting the gutters cleaned last fall. LOL
Lol... I hear ya......I build houses for a living, going on 40 plus years now. When I started out I did everything myself with some day labor when needed. Hell, I even built the cabinets, lol. But now even though I’m still very hands on, my body is telling me I need to let the younger guys do some of it, lol. I still do the framing and trim, the finish work. I buy the cabinets now and install them. You can get some nice cabinets nowadays a lot cheaper than I can build them.

So when I got back into a Jeep after a 3 year hiatus I wanted to only do suspension and plan on mods, didn’t want to fool with axles , engine building, transfer cases, etc.....

So I went and got myself a loaded Rubicon...lol..and I’m not a bit ashamed to be out there wheeling in my heated leather seat, hanging onto my heated steering wheel, watching my pitch and roll on my big ass 8.4 tv screen, and jamming out to some classic rock on my Alpine sound system........:rock:.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I often hear people refer to rigs as "built". What do you think qualifies for that designation? To me it seems like the rig in question needs to be 100% ready for Black/Red trails, so skids, tires, lift, bumpers, winch, lockers. What's everyone else's definition?
When it fully fits ones lifestyle and the owner can look upon it without thinking "what if...?".

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I put some not-good-for-offroading steps on my rubicon. DUDE TOTALLY BUILT UP NOW. Best mall crawler ever :D

Sponsored

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
I think it refers to the old “ built not bought “ phrase. When I was younger and broke, you’d buy a strip down bare bones Jeep and build it. Axles, lockers, bumpers winch, lift etc.....

Then you could put on your “ Built not Bought” windshield banner, and be proud to show off what you’d done.

Now that I’m an old man I don’t want to go through that much work to start from scratch, so I bought a rubicon. I might not be cool anymore, but I’m enjoying the fruits of my working my ass off for 40 years and counting.......:)
Amen Brother..:rock:
I still have my "Built" 93 YJ which I took from stock to fully modified. :turkey:
And now I am the proud owner of a 2019 JLUR which I have purchased and installed over $13k in parts and accessories..:jk:

It was fun building my YJ and I love driving/wheeling it, but now that I am retired, I really like and appreciate everything about the JLUR :like:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You always get the next mod ! The carrot is retirement !
...I assume here that "retirement" refers to the rig, not the state of one's occupation.;)

Rumor has it that the aftermarket covets the retiree with time and some discretionary $ to customize their JL to the point where the following adage is true:

"to say my JL is not customized is to say 'The Beast' (the President's series of vehicles that he rides in and that look like Cadillacs but are more like tanks) is just a stock Cadillac." ;)

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
We consider the Jeep to be an extension of our needs or interests at the time, so ours will be ever changing over the years.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
...I assume here that "retirement" refers to the rig, not the state of one's occupation.;)

;)
Actually, I was referring to occupational retirement, but your interpretation is spot on ! ;) Either way , Roky's journey aint gonna end , any time soon !

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
When it looks and performs for the purpose that you intend to use it.

9C04FF09-A329-485E-886C-5490D2DE8EA9.jpeg

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
If you are referring to the "built not bought" mentality; this is mute in reality. Please point me to a person who "builds" their own jeep, without "buying" what they want, and having others bolt it on. NOBODY "builds" their own jeep. They "buy" the parts they need, and might bolt a few of them on (tires/lift kit/bumpers), but everything else 99.99999% of the time someone else does it for them. Especially a custom jeep that will never see mud, dirt, rocks, etc., but will be at every jeep or car show and be as clean and immaculate as Jesus's robe.

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are referring to the "built not bought" mentality; this is mute in reality. Please point me to a person who "builds" their own jeep, without "buying" what they want, and having others bolt it on. NOBODY "builds" their own jeep. They "buy" the parts they need, and might bolt a few of them on (tires/lift kit/bumpers), but everything else 99.99999% of the time someone else does it for them. Especially a custom jeep that will never see mud, dirt, rocks, etc., but will be at every jeep or car show and be as clean and immaculate as Jesus's robe.

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow Mr, Kotex, that was some "DEEP SHIT"!!!!!!! Thinkin' your barkin" up the wrong hole,
Sponsored