First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I wouldnt waste my time, either buy the new one or live with and enjoy your current Jeep. My strategy is never trade, add to the fleet and use the oldest ones as winter beaters. This way you cheat the depreciation lock in when you trade, you get multiple vehicles to drive all year, it is like getting a new car every few months :) I just swap insurance onto the ones I am driving and park the others under car covers, allows me to do agressive maintenance and detailing so they all look brand new.

When they get 15+ yrs old, and 200K+ miles I retire them. Sold my 03 PT GT when I got my Rubicon last year, still looked pretty good considering it went thru 16 Maine winters, most imports are toast up here in about 10, I rust proofed it and it only had on small bubble on lower rocker, rest of the car was solid.
I used to lease (call me young and stupid) but was cognizant to never get out with any negative equity. Chose the JLU because I missed the JKU I had and think it’ll age well (asides from the other fun/expensive factor of mods :CWL:). That’s a good plan of attack; may try to grab a sports car at some point so I have the best of both worlds?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If JK is any indication, we should be seeing a mid-cycle refresh in the 2nd half of 2022 for the 2023 model year.

Expect significant interior revisions, new colors, new wheels and new editions, as already indicated. I’d love to see a Mojave Edition added to Wrangler.

Personally, I don’t see the I-6 debuting on Wrangler. JL already has more engine options than are needed, with hybrid and EV reportedly on the way. There’s too much overlap already between the 2.0T and 3.6 V6 in terms of power and efficiency. My guess would be the I-6 will appear first on the all-new Grand Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer...whenever they finally make it to market.

I think the Turbo i6 will be 2023 or maybe even 2024. Rumor is it is going in the Wagoneers and the new Grand Cherokee first. We haven't heard anything new about it in over 6 months. I don't think there is anything more important to the future of the American FCA brands than this engine.

They did the same thing with the JK. The engine refresh came after the interior refresh.
Seeing what a bunch of tightwads FCA owners are, my guess is all major investments are on hiatus until the EU approves PSA’s acquisition of...errr...merger with FCA.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I seriously doubt we'll see any substantial interior change like we did for the JK. The only reason FCA changed it as much as they did half way through was because it was such a horrendous piece of a shit both in design and materials.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I seriously doubt we'll see any substantial interior change like we did for the JK. The only reason FCA changed it as much as they did half way through was because it was such a horrendous piece of a shit both in design and materials.
I strongly disagree. While I love the JL interior and I think it stands up well, technology expectations move quickly. The small screen on the Bronco is as big as the upgraded screen on the Wrangler. The base screen on the Sport is a joke. Wireless chargers are being included in $25,000 imports. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto have to be incorporated. Buyers are also expecting some features as standard which are options on the Wrangler. Especially things like basic driver assist features and led lighting.

As far as the Wrangler making its own rules because it is a more rugged vehicle, the Bronco is going to push them forward. The number of interior options on the Bronco, including things like Marine grade seats and rubberized interior as well as a number of different palettes are also going to date the current interior. On the Wrangler, having a red or black dash on some models has been considered edgy. That bar is going to move.

There is no way they can continue to sell this package this way for 7 more years.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
The base screen on the Sport is a joke. Wireless chargers are being included in $25,000 imports. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto have to be incorporated. Buyers are also expecting some features as standard which are options on the Wrangler. Especially things like basic driver assist features and led lighting.
I have zero issues with the 5" base screen. I don't need a TV in my car. Phone integration works fine. Have no interest in driver assist, but do agree than LED lighting should be standard as that is functional on multiple levels.

There are people who are content with basic phone integration. I'd much prefer they keep that on the base model and let me upgrade functional parts that matter for driving performance.

But as they say, there's a butt for every seat, and looks like the 7" will be standard at the base trim.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I strongly disagree. While I love the JL interior and I think it stands up well, technology expectations move quickly. The small screen on the Bronco is as big as the upgraded screen on the Wrangler. The base screen on the Sport is a joke. Wireless chargers are being included in $25,000 imports. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto have to be incorporated. Buyers are also expecting some features as standard which are options on the Wrangler. Especially things like basic driver assist features and led lighting.
I wouldn't be surprised if the new UConnect eventually makes its way into the dash or the 8.4 becomes standard on the Sport (which is starting to now happen with certain Sport packages), but the Wrangler has never been a vehicle to innovate or change that quickly in the 30+ years since it has taken the nameplate. FCA kept pumping out the shitty 430 and 730 units for the JK long after UConnect 3 was in every other product. The Bronco might change that, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

The Wrangler has largely been a parts bin vehicle. Both the TJ and JK were essentially updated throughout their generations by getting already dated leftovers from the Grand Cherokee. FCA will certainly respond to the competition, but they're going to do the absolute minimal possible to have that slight edge over Ford and call it a day.

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
I would guess, 3.0 Turbo six to replace pentastar, I would assume the full hybrid next year, maybe we get a hemi next year.

What would they do the interior?

Of course they can always parts bin engineer different models and throw in optional equip as standard to give more value, maybe some good rebates for loyalty, own one get 2000$ off your next one etc
uConnect 5 with a 10+in screen, maybe ventilated seats.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
As long as they dont stick the UConnects where it looks like a afterthought sticking above the dash, hate all cars where the designers are lazy and dont fit it into the center stack and it is above the level of the dash, also no damn dials and clunky interface, current one is intuitive and easy to use, not like some of the others.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
As long as they dont stick the UConnects where it looks like a afterthought sticking above the dash, hate all cars where the designers are lazy and dont fit it into the center stack and it is above the level of the dash, also no damn dials and clunky interface, current one is intuitive and easy to use, not like some of the others.
I agree which is why I think it will necessitate a redesigned stack. I really like the JL interior so I hope they keep the basic design while adapting the new features.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't be surprised if the new UConnect eventually makes its way into the dash or the 8.4 becomes standard on the Sport (which is starting to now happen with certain Sport packages), but the Wrangler has never been a vehicle to innovate or change that quickly in the 30+ years since it has taken the nameplate. FCA kept pumping out the shitty 430 and 730 units for the JK long after UConnect 3 was in every other product. The Bronco might change that, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

The Wrangler has largely been a parts bin vehicle. Both the TJ and JK were essentially updated throughout their generations by getting already dated leftovers from the Grand Cherokee. FCA will certainly respond to the competition, but they're going to do the absolute minimal possible to have that slight edge over Ford and call it a day.
So you can't tell the difference between how Chrysler approached interiors and FCA?

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
They should also add the option for a camera-based rear-view mirror. No vehicle needs this more than a Wrangler, with the spare tire obstructing the rear-view.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you can't tell the difference between how Chrysler approached interiors and FCA?
FCA didn't swap out the interior on the JK just to update its design. They changed the manufacturing process as well because the original plastic they used was so abysmally cheap, a rear seat passenger could fart funny and it'd still somehow manage to scratch the dash. Material quality of the JL interior isn't leaps and bounds better, but it's certainly improved.

There isn't a big difference between Chrysler and FCA in terms of interiors, no. Design aesthetics have naturally evolved, but general ergonomics have not (and I'd argue that's not a bad thing; Chrysler was actually good at keeping things simple).

I'm just under three years on my JL and have already replaced a rear seat folding latch and the aircard in my UConnect is toast which has killed the GPS and rendered the navigation useless. My glovebox is scratched from grocery bag handles... made of paper. It may look and feel like FCA, but it still holds up like Chrysler.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
They should also add the option for a camera-based rear-view mirror. No vehicle needs this more than a Wrangler, with the spare tire obstructing the rear-view.
Not just the tire... any cargo and you're limited to the side view mirrors only. I've not found a decent aftermarket rear view or I would have bought one already.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link