Wheeling with (big) dogs

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport
Gonna watch this thread. Getting my first Wrangler soon, and I have a 1 yr old English Mastiff who just turned one. He loves to ride in my wife's CRV so I am hoping he'll like the jeep.

Ordering some doggles and a harness that clips into the seatbelt. Then its time to see how he does on the trails!
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Did a search...didn't see a thread on this (or missed it).

Who wheels with a dog? My last dog passed a few years ago. Living alone and liking travel, I avoided getting another. Motorcycle trips are a no-no obviously. Now that I have another Jeep, and am working from home permanently, I really would like another dog. My last dog was 160 or so, and I would do another big dog. I am thinking if he wheels as a puppy, he will learn to enjoy, or at least deal with it. Dog can have the rear of the unlimited with seats down, thinking some sort of harness is a good idea.

Anyone with experience care to share?
My 7 month old Bernadoodle is about 30lbs (i know not big) We got a seatbelt adapter for her, and she sits between my kids in back. we do a lot of car trips, so she has been in the car with us since we got her for long periods of time atleast once a month, talking 2-11 hour drives. So she is pretty chill with the car.. during normal driving she sits on my wifes lap, between the kids, or under the back seat. But when i go offroad i put her in the seatbelt adapter.. to keep her more stable.. She prefers normal driving for sure, you can see she is a little stressed about the bumping around and loud noises, but she chills for the part.. and loves running around off leash once we stop in open back country. This weekend we drove to a lake on the way back from reno near mammoth and she was having such a blast chasing the kids in the snow, i could barely get her back in the jeep lol

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I repurposed construction fall arresters with 6ft leads each which stop a quick movement like a collision or a dog trying to jump off the Jeep in about 3 in. hooked to a harness. it both allows movement within the JLU rear seats down area, and since it is attached to the sport bar and since it has multiple swivels, it never get tangled. I will create a metal clamp that will immobilize the reels, hook up point higher up close to the sport bar and prevent the slight pendulum. This will both prevent dogs from jumping out, prevent them from becoming missiles in the case of hard braking or an accident while allowing them to come forward and lie down on the console...

restraint 3.jpg

restraint 5.jpg

restraint 9.jpg

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 7 month old Bernadoodle is about 30lbs (i know not big) We got a seatbelt adapter for her, and she sits between my kids in back. we do a lot of car trips, so she has been in the car with us since we got her for long periods of time atleast once a month, talking 2-11 hour drives. So she is pretty chill with the car.. during normal driving she sits on my wifes lap, between the kids, or under the back seat. But when i go offroad i put her in the seatbelt adapter.. to keep her more stable.. She prefers normal driving for sure, you can see she is a little stressed about the bumping around and loud noises, but she chills for the part.. and loves running around off leash once we stop in open back country. This weekend we drove to a lake on the way back from reno near mammoth and she was having such a blast chasing the kids in the snow, i could barely get her back in the jeep lol
here is a pick of her before she ran about 100 yards away from me when I opens the door to the Jeep and told her to get in :)

1B692E0E-0849-4A31-A716-57D24D455CA4.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
here is a pick of her before she ran about 100 yards away from me when I opens the door to the Jeep and told her to get in :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 1B692E0E-0849-4A31-A716-57D24D455CA4
Solid reason for a harness right there! At a stoplight with top down...dog sees rabbit...

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Solid reason for a harness right there! At a stoplight with top down...dog sees rabbit...
oh ya top down or windows open, she goes in the harness, and even when isn't in the harness she has her leash on and i hook it to something in the car.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Dakota doesn’t like the bumps of wheeling. We tried it once. She also gets carsick on curvy roads (yay Dramamin). She likes to sit in the middle and look out the front when we’re driving. Or she’ll lay down in the hammock.

IMG_1778-X3.jpg

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Another question: when wheeling or just driving around top down, do you go for a one-piece bikini top, or a two piece which would allow to protect the dogs while giving the option of the hooomans getting direct sun in the front?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Another question: when wheeling or just driving around top down, do you go for a one-piece bikini top, or a two piece which would allow to protect the dogs while giving the option of the hooomans getting direct sun in the front?
I have the full Spiderweb Shade (pic above) and love it for humans and pup. It helps keep the sun off while still feeling open.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I took my big guy (130 lbs) on some wheeling trips with my JK and he had a blast. Sadly we lost him a few years ago and we haven't had a chance to take out my new girl (135 lbs).

IMAG0417.jpg

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
Here are a couple pictures of my Saint Bernard puppy in the Jeep. Rides in the Jeep are probably his favorite thing. He does go to the offroad park with us some of the time and doesn’t mind it at all. He’s generally pretty lazy and has plenty of room to sleep in the back when he doesn’t have his head hanging out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 194E53E4-91C7-4E54-AC53-AACC07D36B98
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 1D9F2CDE-91D8-45BA-AE5C-4C22CFAA4024
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs F09E8D18-77ED-443C-B252-82D2E606C62E

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Here are a couple pictures of my Saint Bernard puppy in the Jeep. Rides in the Jeep are probably his favorite thing. He does go to the offroad park with us some of the time and doesn’t mind it at all. He’s generally pretty lazy and has plenty of room to sleep in the back when he doesn’t have his head hanging out.
My Mastiff would probably have loved it. Big chill lazy boy.
Sponsored