Sponsored

Wheeling with (big) dogs

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Now, I'm confused. All great dogs here, but how many are "big"? How big exactly is a "big dog"?

Growing up, I always thought St. Bernards, Newfoundlands, Great Danes, and mastiffs were the "big" dogs. Lassie, Rin tin tin, Labradors, and such were regular old dogs, and Border Collies, Pitt Bulls, and the like were a bit on the smaller side.

Maybe I'm skewed by the Basset Hound we had that weighed 63-72lbs. He was "small" because he was short, but he could steal food off the countertop if you weren't careful. He was deceptively "tall". His favourite hobbies were running away multiple times a day, and knocking over neighborhood kids on their way home from school. He brought back a dollar bill on two separate occasions.

He would scare the heck out of strangers visiting; a fully-grown Basset baying is no joke, they probably thought Cujo was coming down the hall. But when he rounded the corner, and they had to re-aim their eyeballs two feet lower, they usually felt a bit safer. Some would even smile, before the drool hit them. So he couldn't have been a big (scary) dog, right?

He later got a Golden Retreiver buddy that ended up around 75-83lbs. A bit above average for the breed, but still considered him a "regular" sized dog. Neither were fat; maybe we gave them an extra few pounds in the winter.

I didn't realise until many years later that some (most) people would rightly think that an unknown 80lb. dog running towards you is a scary thing.

So how big is a big dog? My namesake LittleDog weighs forty pounds now, but he'd gotten fat in 2020. He's definitely not a big dog, but is he "little"? Was the old Basset "big"? Am I actually MediumDog?
Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Now, I'm confused. All great dogs here, but how many are "big"? How big exactly is a "big dog"?

Growing up, I always thought St. Bernards, Newfoundlands, Great Danes, and mastiffs were the "big" dogs. Lassie, Rin tin tin, Labradors, and such were regular old dogs, and Border Collies, Pitt Bulls, and the like were a bit on the smaller side.

Maybe I'm skewed by the Basset Hound we had that weighed 63-72lbs. He was "small" because he was short, but he could steal food off the countertop if you weren't careful. He was deceptively "tall". His favourite hobbies were running away multiple times a day, and knocking over neighborhood kids on their way home from school. He brought back a dollar bill on two separate occasions.

He would scare the heck out of strangers visiting; a fully-grown Basset baying is no joke, they probably thought Cujo was coming down the hall. But when he rounded the corner, and they had to re-aim their eyeballs two feet lower, they usually felt a bit safer. Some would even smile, before the drool hit them. So he couldn't have been a big (scary) dog, right?

He later got a Golden Retreiver buddy that ended up around 75-83lbs. A bit above average for the breed, but still considered him a "regular" sized dog. Neither were fat; maybe we gave them an extra few pounds in the winter.

I didn't realise until many years later that some (most) people would rightly think that an unknown 80lb. dog running towards you is a scary thing.

So how big is a big dog? My namesake LittleDog weighs forty pounds now, but he'd gotten fat in 2020. He's definitely not a big dog, but is he "little"? Was the old Basset "big"? Am I actually MediumDog?
I mean, I've operated under the assumption that clothing sizes for dogs are based on norms? Under 10lbs is XS, 10-20lbs is S, 20-40lbs M, 40-60L, etc on up.

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Well, my Bernese weight 97 and 115 lb respectively. I think they qualify as big dogs...

TheKeither

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Willy's Sport

Considering that St. Bernards, Newfies Great Danes and Mastiffs are all technically called Giant Breed Dogs, I think we can safely say, anything the same size as a lab or bigger is a "Big" dog.

All that being said, all dogs have big hearts for their people. So.....if you wheel with your pup, he's welcome here!!! :clap::involve:

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Didn't read up on what everyone posted but I personally can't wheel with my dog as his previous owner left him with some permanent damage and he has a bum leg. However, I did go wheeling with my friends shephard (~85lb) and he seemed to like it, 4 door with the seats down. I had rotties growing up that would often go offroading because my dad was on the k9 unit and had to take his truck off pavement. My experience, if they're healthy and athletic, they'd be fine so long as they don't get injured in the process. Be careful with a harness, don't want them getting tangled up in it and suffering a broken leg or something.

Sponsored

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
For those traveling with dogs, i found, ordered and installed these rear door interior trim protection for JLUs. the company is called thinskinz.com

took me less than 10 seconds to install, easily removable and do not interfere with the window. I made a video of the install, a shake down and some pictures. I picked the model that covers the door handle, but there is a model that allows opening of the door from the inside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 22C306B7-3D19-42FC-B601-1754ED33ADFB
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 0206029C-49B2-40A8-B637-9C8B0E8087BD

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
If the weather ever allows for taking the top and doors off, I'm not sure what, if any kind of harness I would trust to protect my baby princess. It may look cooler to take the doors off, but I think I will leave the back doors on for her. The only reason I got a 4-door was specifically for her anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheeling with (big) dogs 1620719942510

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
It appears to be time to find a harness. Got a call this weekend from my neighbor "we found mastiffs". Eleven pups, some sort of mastiff mix since dad was a deadbeat and left ;) (looks labish to me). Since I need to know how the cats my daughters left behind react, I signed up to foster. I may have a pup or two here in a couple days. Plan is for one...but I was thinking I could pick personalities if I had two.

20210613_140837.jpg
Sponsored