Sponsored

wheeling with a clutch

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Hey all
Looking to get a JLU manual in the not too distant future. I know the clutch/tranny on the JK is open and if you change gears or otherwise put the clutch in while in a puddle, you will suck water and mud into it. Is that the same issue with the JL? Never have wheeled with a manual tranny, always had autos (JK, ZJ). Havent had a manual tranny in too long and was thinking of ordering one when the JK finally gives up
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

as long as the inspection port plug is in place you shouldnt have issues. ive water forged 30+ inch in the mojave river without and problems

OP
OP

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
ok, cool. So to verify, lets say I get stuck in a muddy puddle and need to winch out. Clutch in, throw in neutral, go set winch up, clutch in, first gear and no prob?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
ok, cool. So to verify, lets say I get stuck in a muddy puddle and need to winch out. Clutch in, throw in neutral, go set winch up, clutch in, first gear and no prob?
I would not do that. Just turn off and move to neutral without touching the clutch. For that matter, you can pull out of gear even while running... unless under load, it’s going to pull right out.

IIRC the owner’s guide explicitly says not to use the clutch while submerged (I’m too lazy to look it up).

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The bottom of the bell housing is still open, even if the inspection plugs are in place. I think this is to let it quickly drain because the connection between the trans and the block usually isn't water tight. As other have said above, its best to stay away from the clutch in deep water and mud. If you are in low range, the jeep will let you start in gear if you stall.
Sponsored